Falling oil prices....really the work of the Saudis?

Started by Berkut, December 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Alberta cabinet announced a 5% cut in their own salaries.  Anyone want to give me the odds they announce wage rollbacks for public sector employees? <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2015, 10:42:00 AM
Alberta cabinet announced a 5% cut in their own salaries.  Anyone want to give me the odds they announce wage rollbacks for public sector employees? <_<

Yeah, that sounds very likely.

Smart of them to start by cutting their own salaries first.

Admiral Yi

Would you rather face a wage cut or the risk of a pink slip?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2015, 04:37:17 PM

Would you rather face a wage cut or the risk of a pink slip?

I would rather the price of oil not be $44 today. <_<

But of course it doesn't matter what I think about either issue. :(

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

It is going to be interesting to see how the recent SCC decisions on collective bargaining rights will influence events.  The unions will likely argue that government can no longer pass legislation which alters rights which were collectively bargained.  And even for public employee groups the RCMP case shows there are significant rights which attach to collective bargaining even outside the context of a union.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

I dunno Yi.  I'm conflicted on this stuff.  My inner right-winger is frustrated that this province was running even modest deficits  back when we had $100 oil.  I don't want to see higher taxes, which pretty much just leaves spending cuts, and obviously government employees are a big part of government expenses.  But I know how tight my family's money is, and with both Mrs B and I earning government paycheques we'd both take a hit.

And while I'm optimistic I would not be laid off due to having both years of service, and great reviews for my work, but Mrs B is just on a term and would probably lose her job if there are job losses.

Mostly I'm just bitching and moaning here.