Falling oil prices....really the work of the Saudis?

Started by Berkut, December 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2015, 07:26:58 PM
Very informative - thanks Otto :cheers:

I agree. Posts like this are the reason I come back to Languish. That, and shit-flinging about conspiracy theories.

MadImmortalMan

China is subsidizing the hell out of electric and hybrid cars right now. Whatever tech they needed, they already stole it. I think the CCP is itchy about the environment because it's a big in your face problem with smog that people have to deal with all the time. Pun intended. But I think it's bad enough to make the country look bad so they want to fix it. I think it's the same reason they did the pipeline deals with Putin a couple months ago. Get gas to those coal fired plants instead.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 14, 2015, 05:33:31 PM
China is subsidizing the hell out of electric and hybrid cars right now. Whatever tech they needed, they already stole it. I think the CCP is itchy about the environment because it's a big in your face problem with smog that people have to deal with all the time. Pun intended. But I think it's bad enough to make the country look bad so they want to fix it. I think it's the same reason they did the pipeline deals with Putin a couple months ago. Get gas to those coal fired plants instead.

IMO, the environment is not just a big face problem for the CCP. It's a big concrete problem that directly impacts the populace in a way that shows up clearly in both data and personal experience. In fact, I don't think they care how they look outside of the country at all.

The reality in China is that the environment has been degraded so quickly and so noticeably that everyone knows. Death rates are up for a number of reasons that are clearly discernible. There are enough old people, for example, that die from smog related breathing problems that you can't just deny it; and everyone can see that they can't see due to the smog. There are enough scandals from pollution and unsafe practices that everyone knows there's a problem.

So it's a real, concrete problem, not just a "reputation" thing.

The difference, I think, is that in North America through a combination of a low population density and significant importing, much of the environmental impact happens elsewhere. Sure, we may know and care about it if that's our thing, but it's a matter of reading about it and seeing pictures, not living it. So it's fairly easy to push aside for more immediate concerns.

The Chinese are like that with things that don't impact them directly - they don't give a fuck about overfishing, f. ex., or if they do it's about the same as we do - but pollution from fuel consumption and heavy industry? Those chickens have been roosting right where they live, and they feel the results.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah--not so much a how they look abroad thing as how they look to their own citizens. It's a daily reminder and potentially destabilizing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 07, 2015, 12:19:29 AMMaybe LaCroix will have to start looking at law firms in Minneapolis.  :(

the worthwhile minneapolis firms look down on us.  :(

a professor mentioned today that oil and gas lawyers do well even in economic downturns. people start bickering and the money lawsuits roll through. should the price continue to drop and stay low for some time, though, that could be an issue. if oil prices remain below $55/barrel for five consecutive months, north dakota will step in and save the poor oil companies with pretty significant tax breaks. greedy farmers with their 20% royalty provisions don't help matters.  :mad:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on January 14, 2015, 07:31:41 PM
a professor mentioned today that oil and gas lawyers do well even in economic downturns.

Of course they do, especially during economic downturns.  It's prime Murders & Acquisition season.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 14, 2015, 05:52:23 PM
Yeah--not so much a how they look abroad thing as how they look to their own citizens. It's a daily reminder and potentially destabilizing.

I've been to a lot of different cities in the world.  The air quality in China is in its own league.  Compared with China, places like Tokyo, Seoul, Munich, London, Bangkok and Paris are all paradises.  It is not an image problem at all.  It is a real public health disaster. 

In China, there are dedicated farms that supply safe and high quality food for the top leaders.  But that's not practical for things like air.  So there are very personal reasons for the top leaders to improve air quality :contract:

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2015, 11:29:02 PMIn China, there are dedicated farms that supply safe and high quality food for the top leaders.  But that's not practical for things like air. 

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 07:34:13 PM
a professor mentioned today that oil and gas lawyers do well even in economic downturns.

Of course they do, especially during economic downturns.  It's prime Murders & Acquisition season.

Admiteddly, one of the bigger deals I have done during the recent downturn was between two large oil companies. :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on January 15, 2015, 03:18:30 AM

Admiteddly, one of the bigger deals I have done during the recent downturn was between two large oil companies. :P

:yeahright:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on January 15, 2015, 03:18:30 AM

:worthy:

CountDeMoney