Falling oil prices....really the work of the Saudis?

Started by Berkut, December 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on January 05, 2015, 03:03:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2015, 01:01:05 PM
Gas is down to $0.75 per litre.  It must have been the 1990s when it was last this cheap at the pump.
Early 90s at least. I was travelling through Edmonton fairly regularly in 93-94 and I only recall it dipping below $1 once during a price war.

Just checked.  Looks like in Edmonton gas prices went into the 60 cent range during the 2008 crash.  I wasn't living here then.

And it's within the last 10-12 years that prices first broke the buck a litre price.  It wsa amusing because gas stations didn't even have the extra digit in their signs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

It's still much more expensive here than it was in the mid/late 90s. We could get a gallon of gas for under a buck.

Well, I suppose that might be the same rate if inflation is factored in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 18, 2014, 04:41:03 PM
Gas was 2.19/gal today. So I filled a kiddie pool with it and bathed in it.

1.98 last time I checked.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2015, 03:10:48 PM
Quote from: Maximus on January 05, 2015, 03:03:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2015, 01:01:05 PM
Gas is down to $0.75 per litre.  It must have been the 1990s when it was last this cheap at the pump.
Early 90s at least. I was travelling through Edmonton fairly regularly in 93-94 and I only recall it dipping below $1 once during a price war.

Just checked.  Looks like in Edmonton gas prices went into the 60 cent range during the 2008 crash.  I wasn't living here then.

And it's within the last 10-12 years that prices first broke the buck a litre price.  It wsa amusing because gas stations didn't even have the extra digit in their signs.
Yea I think it was the 40-cent mark I am thinking of.

CountDeMoney

Figures. When I had a two-hour one-way commute, it was $4.  Now that I'm sitting around staring at the cat, it's going to crash the $2 mark.

THANKS ABDULLAH

MadImmortalMan

Canada has 18% fewer wells operating now than it had last week. Last week.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Norgy

Lower oil prices would normally not be a bad thing for countries that aren't Norway or Saudi-Arabia. Now, however, it seems the price isn't indicative of higher supply, but rather low demand and lower activity in general almost everywhere. This really bodes well for 2015, doesn't it? Any bubbles left to burst? Anyone? Anywhere?

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 06, 2015, 06:05:09 PM
Canada has 18% fewer wells operating now than it had last week. Last week.

(developed in Canada)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on January 06, 2015, 06:13:12 PM
Lower oil prices would normally not be a bad thing for countries that aren't Norway or Saudi-Arabia. Now, however, it seems the price isn't indicative of higher supply, but rather low demand and lower activity in general almost everywhere. This really bodes well for 2015, doesn't it? Any bubbles left to burst? Anyone? Anywhere?

Unless the GOP can produce another major loss next year, Fox News will likely see a major decline in viewership.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2015, 06:51:19 PM
Unless the GOP can produce another major loss next year, Fox News will likely see a major decline in viewership.

:huh:

They were getting the top ratings during the Bush years. They will continue as long as conservatives convince themselves all the other channels are biased against them, regardless of which party is in power.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 06, 2015, 07:09:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2015, 06:51:19 PM

They were getting the top ratings during the Bush years. They will continue as long as conservatives convince themselves all the other channels are biased against them, regardless of which party is in power.

Not if we get a nasty flu bug.  The elderly are very susceptible to influenza.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 06, 2015, 07:09:41 PM

In contrast to MSNBC, who's ratings are totally dependent on a Republican in the White House.

Valmy

What news do all the left wingers watch when the Democrats are in the White House?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!