Falling oil prices....really the work of the Saudis?

Started by Berkut, December 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 01:40:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2014, 01:29:51 PM
Do you mean the Iran nuke talks are going well?  I've read they're dead.

I think the talks are basically that Iran will get nukes, just a matter of how long they're willing to be stalled on it, or how long to talk us to distraction on the issue while they proceed.

I think the question is if the Nukes the Iranians get will be of Israeli or Iranian design.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on December 18, 2014, 01:50:37 PM

I think the talks are basically that Iran will get nukes, just a matter of how long they're willing to be stalled on it, or how long to talk us to distraction on the issue while they proceed.

I think the question is if the Nukes the Iranians get will be of Israeli or Iranian design.

And whether they'll be built locally or delivered armed and at high velocity?

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on December 18, 2014, 01:59:25 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 18, 2014, 01:50:37 PM

And whether they'll be built locally or delivered armed and at high velocity?

Precisely.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Gas was 2.19/gal today. So I filled a kiddie pool with it and bathed in it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Yeah. Where'd you hear they were dead?

Incidentally I was drinking with a friend today and as he's an oil analyst I asked for his perspective.

He said the big reason is supply and demand. Libya's oil is back online and Iraq's is holding up far better than anyone expected, in addition to that there's booming shale production which means there's a lot of supply. In terms of demand there's been a slack for a while (China's slowing, the Eurozone is more bondage club than economic union and until recently US growth has been a bit hit-and-miss). This has been covered by countries like the US and China filling up their strategic reserves - they're both now apparently full, so that bit of demand has just vanished. In addition there've been various efficiency savings while oil prices were high - fuel efficiency on vehicles, using gas for some chemical processing. He compared it to the efficiencies made in the 70s which under-pinned low oil prices through the 80s even though there were a few boom years.

Then you get to OPEC. Basically there's a split between countries like Iraq and Libya that just need to produce as much as they can to pay for anything and try and save their countries, and countries like Venezuela, Iran and Nigeria who need to keep the price as high as possible. Trouble is none of the latter group are actually willing to cut their own production because they need the money and, even if they did, it wouldn't move the market that much. So it falls to the Saudis. The Saudis aren't necessarily trying to kill shale off, or to kill Russia off (though those are nice benefits) but they've got the reserves and the cash to sit through low prices for a while in an attempt to preserve their market share.

He also said, so far, no-one's entirely sure how long it'll last so a few future projects are being shelved especially the more expensive ones - mature fields in the North Sea (again the SNP would be fucked if they'd won) and, say, Arctic exploration. If it lasts it'll start having a bigger effect.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Josephus

As a commuter, of course, this short term gain makes me happy.
As one who has 60 per cent of his mutual funds in Canadian energy.....not so much.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Gas is down to $0.75 per litre.  It must have been the 1990s when it was last this cheap at the pump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2015, 01:01:05 PM
Gas is down to $0.75 per litre.  It must have been the 1990s when it was last this cheap at the pump.

still above 1.05€ (cheapest) and close to 1.2€ for highest official prices. Thank god the green and red communists aren't in power atm or there wouldn't have been a drop at all

celedhring

1.125/l at the nearest gas station. That's really cheap for our standards.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2015, 01:01:05 PM
Early 90s at least. I was travelling through Edmonton fairly regularly in 93-94 and I only recall it dipping below $1 once during a price war.