Falling oil prices....really the work of the Saudis?

Started by Berkut, December 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I've heard several times that falling oil prices are the result of SA producing more in an attempt to drive out higher priced oil production.

Is there any actual evidence that is what is happening?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on December 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM
I've heard several times that falling oil prices are the result of SA producing more in an attempt to drive out higher priced oil production.

It's not that SA is producing more.

It's that, traditionally, SA's production capacity was so large  that they were a swing producer - when prices went low they would cut down on production in order to prop prices up.

But now, even with rapidly falling oil prices, Saudi Arabia has refused to cut production.

It's not that it's the work of the Saudis, but that the Saudis could do something about if they wanted to, and they aren't.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on December 17, 2014, 01:47:16 PM
Not sure if there's evidence, but it makes sense.

I agree it is very plausible.

But I find these movements in commodities prices interesting, and I want to know WHY. And while this is a plausible explanation, that doesn't make it the right explanation.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2014, 01:53:30 PM

It's that, traditionally, SA's production capacity was so large  that they were a swing producer - when prices went low they would cut down on production in order to prop prices up.

But now, even with rapidly falling oil prices, Saudi Arabia has refused to cut production.

It's not that it's the work of the Saudis, but that the Saudis could do something about if they wanted to, and they aren't.

OK.

But that is radically different from the claim that the REASON prices are falling is a concerted effort by SA to engineer that fall.

There could be a thousand reasons why they don't want to cut production other than a plot to force other producers out...

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on December 17, 2014, 01:56:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2014, 01:53:30 PM

OK.

But that is radically different from the claim that the REASON prices are falling is a concerted effort by SA to engineer that fall.

There could be a thousand reasons why they don't want to cut production other than a plot to force other producers out...

Yes there probably are more reasons they don't want to cut production other than that.  But that doesn't mean that SA couldn't do something to try to attempt to reduce or reverse the fall.

Crazy_Ivan80

SA probably knows that if oil-prices rise again the more expensive methods become profitable again and production of that type will come back.

Jacob

As I understand it, global demand is falling, primarily due to the slow down in the growth of the Chinese economy and the knock on effects from that.

Additional factors I've heard mentioned as contributing the the lessening of demand is the continued growth of alternative energy sources and the fact that the Chinese have filled up their strategic oil reserve, which they'd been adding to over the last decade or so.

So basic supply and demand, really, set the stage for a drop in prices.

Then OPEC met to discuss lowering production to maintain prices -  a month ago or so - as is their wont. I'm told the Saudis basically run OPEC, and OPEC decides not to cut production. Prices continue to fall as demand is still slowing down, while production remains at previous levels.

You could totally look at it as the work of the Saudis, because they apparently have the tools to counter the drop, but the underlying reason is a lessening of demand.

... is my understanding anyhow.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on December 17, 2014, 02:12:53 PM
As I understand it, global demand is falling, primarily due to the slow down the growth of the Chinese economy and the knock on effects from that.

Additional factors I've heard mentioned as contributing the the lessening of demand is the continued growth of alternative energy sources and the fact that the Chinese have filled up their strategic oil reserve, which they'd been adding to over the last decade or so.

So basic supply and demand, really, set the stage for a drop in prices.

Then OPEC met to discuss lowering production to maintain prices -  a month ago or so - as is their wont. I'm told the Saudis basically run OPEC, and OPEC decides not to cut production. Prices continue to fall as demand is still slowing down, while production remains at previous levels.

You could totally look at it as the work of the Saudis, because they apparently have the tools to counter the drop, but the underlying reason is a lessening of demand.

:yes:

Combined with an increased supply, chiefly from the US.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

The net effect is that it's the Russians who are really hurting from it. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on December 17, 2014, 02:12:53 PM

The Saudis benefit by being the largest of the high production/low overhead members.  They can withstand sustained low prices the longest, and as long as they benefit in the long term from low oil prices hitting the Russians, the Iranians, and the North American producers all at the same time, they are happy. 

Now Nigeria, Mexico and Venezuela, they're not as fortunate, being low production/high overhead, but they have no pull anyway.

Viking

All the inner workings of the Saudi state are nebulous. The motivation is inferred by the Saudis producing at full speed at a time when prices dip. Usually a price dip would be the ideal time to do well maintenance and upgrades. This is not happening, they are producing at full speed. The only thing up for discussion is if it is to screw over the russians, venezuelans and iranians who go bankrupt at 60-80 dollars or if it is to sabotage the nascent shale oil and tar sands production which often become unviable at 60-80 dollars.

So it's up to you to decide, who the Saudis hate more, Putin or George P. Mitchell (the pioneer of shale fracking).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Why would the Saudi's have a particular animus towards Putin?

And is there anything particular heated between the Saudis and Iran? Is it the ISIL thing in Syria?

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on December 17, 2014, 07:57:55 PM

Syria, I'd guess.

Saudi Arabia sees itself as battling it out for sectarian and political supremacy in the region.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on December 17, 2014, 07:57:55 PM

And is there anything particular heated between the Saudis and Iran? Is it the ISIL thing in Syria?

He's supporting the infidels in Damascus and Teheran. They hate his guts and he hates them right back. Not all hatreds in the world involve americans or israelis.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.