Falling oil prices....really the work of the Saudis?

Started by Berkut, December 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on January 20, 2015, 03:45:50 PM
So Berkut are you pro- or anti-pipeline?

I think it is safe to assume, if he is excoriating the idiotic left for opposing the pipeline, that he is pro pipeline. Just a hunch.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 03:33:32 PM
By the way, do failing oil prices in any way affect the viability of the Keystone pipeline construction?

Unless it goes to some kind of ridiculous extreme, no.

The main reason for Keystone is that there is a significant price differential between western Canadian crude and many of the other benchmarks.  Because oil from Alberta is more difficult to get to the world market, it sells for a discount compared to your baseline west texas intermediate.  Refineries in Texas would love to get their hands on that cheaper oil.

If TransCanada, the company building it, gets into financial trouble that could effect it's viability, but TC is a pipeline company, not a producer, so it's less effected by falling oil prices.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on January 20, 2015, 04:11:11 PM

I think it is safe to assume, if he is excoriating the idiotic left for opposing the pipeline, that he is pro pipeline. Just a hunch.

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on January 20, 2015, 04:11:11 PM

That was my guess, but given that his main message was "everyone is a dumbshit but me" I wasn't sure.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on January 20, 2015, 05:47:11 PM
That was my guess, but given that his main message was "everyone is a dumbshit but me" I wasn't sure.
:huh:  I think he thinks you are a dumbshit, too.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I'm probably a dumbshit for thinking that was funny.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

So my little brother works for an oilfield service company.  He was asked the other day if he would consider taking a demotion, rather than being laid off.  No new work is coming in anymore.  I imagine scenes like that are happening throughout Alberta.   :(

Berkut

I could not care less one way or the other about the pipeline. We have lots and lots of pipelines already - what is so special about this one anyway?

I guess I am pro-pipeline to the extent that I am pro letting businesses do business, and from what I've seen the objections to this are strictly emotional and political.

But I don't have any vested interest either way.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

The existing pipeline network from Western Canada lacks sufficient capacity.  So the XL would lower transport cost for Alberta oil and it is a pretty fat pipe - lots of capacity.  If current prices stick it could have more marginal impact on oil sand production than it would have if prices were still at 120+ (at which point production is a no brainer even if carried by two mules and Sister Sarah).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

The fucker already runs through Missouri.  I see no problem running it through Texas Jr.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

XL is supposed to have a capacity of about 800K bpd.
Let's assume that absent XL none of that get produced. Which is a very big assumption.
Assume also that oil sand oil has 15% greater carbon impact than regular oil.
Then the carbon impact of XL is equivalent to about 120K additional bpd of oil burned.
Total world oil consumption is around 90 million so that is an incremental effect of about 0.13 percent.
But oil is only one contributor to human caused carbon emission.  Let's say 1/3 (pretty generous given coal is out there).  Then the impact of XL on global carbon is less than 0.05 percent.

That doesn't seem huge but OTOH carbon emission control is all about what can be done at the margins.  So an extra 0.05% may not seem such a huge deal but it is one more thing that will have to be offset.

My own 2c is that we need carbon taxation to control emissions and that a sufficient carbon tax would probably render XL uneconomic.  So in this ideal world XL wouldn't get built.  But it doesn't make sense to block XL on that theory when in fact there is no tax on the horizon.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Now assume that instead of XL it all goes by train.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2015, 05:32:31 PM

I am not sure that is economical given current oil prices or at least it is a lot less economical than it used to be and as a result transport by rail has dropped off significantly in this country.  Good news for our grain farmers who can finally get their products shipped in a more timely manner.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2015, 06:12:26 PM

I am not sure that is economical given current oil prices or at least it is a lot less economical than it used to be and as a result transport by rail has dropped off significantly in this country.  Good news for our grain farmers who can finally get their products shipped in a more timely manner.

Heck, in the US we've dismantled a lot of our railroads.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2015, 06:12:26 PM

And some Quebecers might tell you about the danger in transporting combustibles by train in large quantities (though pipelines have been known to explode too).