Falling oil prices....really the work of the Saudis?

Started by Berkut, December 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Or Marketing.  Took me two layoffs to figure out I needed to get out of that racket.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2015, 02:43:42 PM
My buddy is in the Geophysics division that does geological surveying.  So his workload is determined by the number of clients that want to know how much oil is "down there" and whether it's feasible to drill.  Obviously that is going to drop off a bit, but I would think that some companies would still want to continue to poke & prod just to have an idea of where they could drill, should it become economically feasible to do it at some point in the future.

Or since new well development is not going to be feasible at these prices, they may decide it's not worth to keep a big surveying operation at the moment.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on January 16, 2015, 02:50:32 PM
Or since new well development is not going to be feasible at these prices, they may decide it's not worth to keep a big surveying operation at the moment.

Yep, who knows. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

By the way, do failing oil prices in any way affect the viability of the Keystone pipeline construction?

MadImmortalMan

No. Obama would veto it under any market condition, I think.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 03:33:32 PM
By the way, do failing oil prices in any way affect the viability of the Keystone pipeline construction?
No. It's politics now. The Senate spent a large amount of time debating a pipeline that at current prices would barely ever be used :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2015, 12:10:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 03:33:32 PM
No. It's politics now. The Senate spent a large amount of time debating a pipeline that at current prices would barely ever be used :lol:

That isn't accurate.  If anything low prices make a low cost method of transporting oil more important.  Although the environmental argument that the pipeline will contribute to carbon release is stronger in a low price environment because of the economics of transporting oil by more costly methods such as rail.

MadImmortalMan

Good point, cc. The pipelines have been busier if anything during the glut and price bottom in natural gas in recent years. But Warren Buffet doesn't own the Keystone, he owns the railroad.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

Grey Fox

The spice will flow no matter if there is a pipeline or not.

It will just use trains instead.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

The entire pipeline idiocy is useful to show that even in the world of the Tea Party, where the dumbshit right has most of the spotlight for being ignorant dumbasses, there is still room for the dumbshit left to get in there and show how moronic they can be as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

mongers

I'm pro-pipeline, generally have zero environmental impact after a few years; cycled past a substantial one today and I'm probably the one in a hundred people who know its there, one place a week ago kids were playing on part of it's above ground structure and I bet they or their parents didn't know what it was either.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"