Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 01:58:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 01:55:53 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 01:52:48 PM
One or two bbc journalists* aren't covering themselves in glory on this, "The Prophet Mohammed".  :rolleyes:

Saying The Prophet Mohammed is no different than saying Jesus Christ (which means Jesus the Messiah).

Prophet is a word in english, Christ isn't.

Disagree:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/christ?s=t
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

By saying "The Prophet Mohammed" they identify him as the Mohammed who is worshipped by Muslims. BFD.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

False accusation by mongers.  15 yard penalty, replay the down.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2015, 02:06:41 PM

Wrong sports reference in use. Yellow carded.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 02:07:58 PM

Irrelevant point raised.  One free throw and retain possession.

derspiess

Both of you knock it off or you're going into the penalty box for five minute majors.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 02:01:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2015, 01:58:43 PM
One or two bbc journalists* aren't covering themselves in glory on this, "The Prophet Mohammed".  :rolleyes:

Surely "The Alleged Prophet Mohammed" would be more accurate and neutral?

* I wonder if it's a bbc inhouse editorial guide or are the covering their own arses by attempting to placate religious extremists who might come after them?

Prophets is a self proclaimed title. It's ok to use it for all prophets.

Agreed.

What would suck is if Muslims were able to convince journalists to *only* use the word "prophet" for Mohammed, and no-one else.

When was the last time you heard a journalist say "Jesus Christ the Messiah" or "Christ the Messiah"? 

The point I'm making is some journalist are intentionally using it, to conform with the Islamic claim that he is God's final prophet. 

It's a relatively recent change with some journalist in the UK.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 02:17:03 PM

* I wonder if it's a bbc inhouse editorial guide or are the covering their own arses by attempting to placate religious extremists who might come after them?

Agreed.

What would suck is if Muslims were able to convince journalists to *only* use the word "prophet" for Mohammed, and no-one else.

When was the last time you heard a journalist say "Jesus Christ the Messiah" or "Christ the Messiah"? 

The point I'm making is some journalist are intentionally using it, to conform with the Islamic claim that he is God's final prophet. 

Isn't "Christ the Messiah" wrong? The word Christ = Messiah.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

This is terrible. So sad, and so maddening that these extremists exist to do this kind of thing when someone disagrees with their extremism. I'm sure all of France is in some turmoil over this, with at least Paris where it occurred in some kind of shutdown.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2015, 02:12:45 PM

Both of you knock it off or you're going into the penalty box for five minute majors.

Bumphing. Catcher gets a penalty shot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Am I the only one who can't parse this sentence? :huh:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 02:17:03 PM

Agreed.

A quick google news archive search reveals many American news sources and a few like using "Prophet Muhammad" or "prophet Muhammad" frequently as early as 2005. Bet if I did a bit more digging I could find hits for more UK outlets. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 07, 2015, 02:19:51 PM

Am I the only one who can't parse this sentence? :huh:

He's complaining about the use of the title "prophet" for Mohammed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Wow, a somewhat respected newspaper here just published this article on their website: "IS: Denmark will be next". It contains a series of tweets from people sympathising with IS saying that Denmark will also be attacked.

Oh my.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 07, 2015, 02:19:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2015, 02:12:45 PM

Bumphing. Catcher gets a penalty shot.

Meh - we follow the honour system.  If the curler did an illegal move he is expected to remove his own rock from play.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.