And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I give you: Muhammad in a funny hat

Ok, so it's Elijah Muhammad and not the prophet.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 01:31:18 PM
Twitter is mobilising:

This has the potential to get very silly, very quickly.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2015, 09:23:31 AM
Quote from: Brazen on January 07, 2015, 09:18:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2015, 09:15:08 AM
I have writhed in unimaginable agony from having 4 inches of my tibia removed. I've gone into shock and nearly died from a bad reaction to a nausea drug. I've had a lunatic hold a knife to my throat and threaten to kill me. I've nearly been killed in a car crash.

I know what I'm capable of, and I would publish the damn pictures.
Even if your colleagues could die in the any retribution attack?
If they don't want to take the risks they can resign.

Humm. I guess Brazen is not, well, brazen?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 11:12:41 AM
Ok, I want to make a commitment. I will read the whole Quran.

Fuck no. Don't do that!!111

I cannot contemplate my suffering here in Languish if you happen to convert to Islam.
I would probably e-shoot myself.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Freedom of speech has pretty much been abandoned as a concept in Sweden. It saddens me a bit, but I have written off Sweden a long time ago. Swedish consensus is that victims of Muslim cartoony aggression deserve what they get.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

One or two bbc journalists* aren't covering themselves in glory on this, "The Prophet Mohammed".  :rolleyes:

Surely "The Alleged Prophet Mohammed" would be more accurate and neutral?

* I wonder if it's a bbc inhouse editorial guide or are the covering their own arses by attempting to placate religious extremists who might come after them?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 01:31:18 PM
Twitter is mobilising:

Obviously a fake. That pencil sharpener is much too big for the pencils.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 01:52:48 PM
One or two bbc journalists* aren't covering themselves in glory on this, "The Prophet Mohammed".  :rolleyes:

Saying The Prophet Mohammed is no different than saying Jesus Christ (which means Jesus the Messiah).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 01:55:53 PM

Saying The Prophet Mohammed is no different than saying Jesus Christ (which means Jesus the Messiah).

Prophet is a word in english, Christ isn't.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

* I wonder if it's a bbc inhouse editorial guide or are the covering their own arses by attempting to placate religious extremists who might come after them?

Meh.

To my mind, "Prophet" is purely a title that distinguishes Mohammed the historical personage. It does not indicate any actual belief in Islam or the religious reality of prophet-hood. Your suggestion would be like saying "Jesus, the alleged Christ". 

Edit: ninja'd by BB

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Prophets is a self proclaimed title. It's ok to use it for all prophets.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 01:58:38 PM

Meh.

To my mind, "Prophet" is purely a title that distinguishes Mohammed the historical personage. It does not indicate any actual belief in Islam or the religious reality of prophet-hood. Your suggestion would be like saying "Jesus, the alleged Christ". 

Edit: ninja'd by BB

Yeah isn't Prophet Muhammad generally the name used to make it clear one is speaking about him vs. the many, many, many other Muhammads? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2015, 01:58:43 PM

Prophets is a self proclaimed title. It's ok to use it for all prophets.

Agreed.

What would suck is if Muslims were able to convince journalists to *only* use the word "prophet" for Mohammed, and no-one else.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius