News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

This came up just now, she's wrong on her general thesis, but I find is humorous that this was just posted

Karen Armstrong on Religion and the History of Violence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6I-V3iNeFo
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 09:36:38 AM
For questioning the sincerity in which you hold the line on freedom of speech? I hardly can see you getting outraged if someone was to say off one of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church specifically because of what they say.

I would be outraged, yes.

And really, you are equating me deciding not to do business with someone with whom I disagree with with prosecution? A boycott is nothing else than a collective declaration by a group of people that they would exercise their right not to do business with someone over something they have said or done. Are you saying that this right does not exist or that it should be suspended? I am not even sure what your point is. It is just so completely stupid and a lame narcissistic attempt on your part to continue an argument which you have already lost.

Liep

Denmark almost took it as an act of war when the Middle East boycotted our dairy products after the Muhammad cartoons.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on January 07, 2015, 09:38:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 09:34:56 AM
Wow, you are really stupid.
hes not comparing boycotting to murder, he's questioning the sincerity of your belief in what you quoted.

Not really. Again, first of all Voltaire's words were aimed at protecting someone from state prosecution. So that's that.

I do think however that it is sensible to expand this principle to protecting someone from violence - and other illegal actions - by persons who are not associated with the state.

I do not think that it is sensible to expand this principle so far as to argue that this should grant someone effective immunity of all negative social consequences of saying disagreeable things.

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 09:41:53 AM
Denmark almost took it as an act of war when the Middle East boycotted our dairy products after the Muhammad cartoons.

Wasn't that an action by governments though?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 07:26:31 AM
Unpossible! Mohammed never had people murdered for expressing their opinion! Wait, eh, he did....

You should post more quotes from religious documents you haven't read to prove that point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 10:45:14 AM
Unpossible! Mohammed never had people murdered for expressing their opinion! Wait, eh, he did....

You should post more quotes from religious documents you haven't read to prove that point.

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/bukhari/059-sbt.php#005.059.369

try reading it yourself then

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:02:09 AM

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/bukhari/059-sbt.php#005.059.369

I meant you you should sit down, and read the whole books rather then just quotes culled from websites.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Ok, I want to make a commitment. I will read the whole Quran.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:02:09 AM

I meant you you should sit down, and read the whole books rather then just quotes culled from websites.

I've got better things to do that read volumes of drivel

I had enough brain cells murdered by the innane Mein Kampf in my teen age years. And the link I gave you was to the entirty of Sahih Bukhari you nitwit, I linked you to the bookmark where mohammed sends the assassin to murder the poet who mocked him.

Alcibiades

NSFW

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bc6_1420632668

Video of these fuckers shooting and executing a police officer.

Edit:

Apparently what  they were saying during the shooting:

"Terrorist 1 : -Je vais le tuer! (I'm gonna kill him!)
Policeman :-Nan c'est bon chef! (Nah it's okay chief!)
execution
Terrorist 1 : -C'était pas un algérien. C'est bon." (He wasnt an algerian, it's alright)
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 11:12:41 AM

thats not much of a commitment. The Koran is less than 80,000 words, the bible, to compare, is around 800,000 (depending on version)

Syt

From what I understand you have to read it in Arabic. Translations aren't considered to really be the word or Allah.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2015, 11:27:04 AM

From what I understand you have to read it in Arabic. Translations aren't considered to really be the word or Allah.

So you are saying that the 1 billion muslims who DONT speak arabic or the 1.5 billion muslims you can barely comprehend the archaeic arabic of the koran can't theoretically be muslims since they can't understand what they believe?