And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2015, 11:27:04 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 11:12:41 AM
Ok, I want to make a commitment. I will read the whole Quran.

From what I understand you have to read it in Arabic. Translations aren't considered to really be the word or Allah.

Well, sucks for Allah then.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:16:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:02:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 10:45:14 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 07:26:31 AM
Unpossible! Mohammed never had people murdered for expressing their opinion! Wait, eh, he did....

You should post more quotes from religious documents you haven't read to prove that point.

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/bukhari/059-sbt.php#005.059.369

try reading it yourself then

I meant you you should sit down, and read the whole books rather then just quotes culled from websites.

I've got better things to do that read volumes of drivel

Then don't quote it to us like you know what the fuck you are talking about.  You are working backward, you've come to an opinion and you look for quotes that back it up, and then expect these quotes to convince us when these quotes didn't even inform you original opinion and you are to goddamn lazy to bother even trying to understand what you quote.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 07:43:53 AM
A video now on all French channels with masked attackers "shouting Allah 'o Akbar" and "we've avenged Muhammad", so islamicists are the official suspects.
Well, with the highest terror alert in the next days, the transportation system will be messed up. Guess what, it's the beginning of the Winter sales (Brazen bad timing for les soldes here too bad for the current cheap Eurostar offer).
This is really difficult for France given the driving into Christmas markets two or three days in a row, no? It's awful.

Scary thing about all the French terrorism cases, including this attack, is that they're obviously terrorism. But they also seem like sort of lone gunman/school shooting attacks. I could be wrong but I suspect that combination is going to stop.

I wonder if it's the future. Weird almost inexplicable acts of individual (or grouplet at most) terrorism like the killing of Lee Rigby, the chocolate siege in Sydney etc. That's scarier than groups trying to make a bomb.

As an aside I just started reading The French Intifada over the weekend. I will have fiercely held pilfered opinions soon  :menace:

QuoteLooking at the indications so far, these guys seem like pros. Really tight grouping on the shots on the police car, for instance, and the gear they have is not that of your average nutcase.
Or maybe not :blush:

QuoteIt's like The Interview, more often than not freedom of expression involves defending the low-hanging fruit. It's easy to defend the great things.
Salman :wub:

QuoteThat's the trouble with populists - if there is a problem that the mainstream fails to even acknowledge, the populist non-solution to that problem will end up being the only option for the voters.
Not to sidetrack but the mainstream have acknowledged it or did you miss Sarko.

I've always thought DdB is a little sanguine about Le Pen. She scares the shit out of me.

QuoteI can't recall but do you take issues with businesses being boycotted over causes they choose to support, CEOs being fired? (I think you said you participate in boycotts?)
No!  :yeah:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

The French don't fuck around. Someone is going to get Legion Étrangere-ed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Admittedly, Sheilbh, there have been those on the left who even opposed Salman. So the "oh it's so hard to defend these nasty cartoons" excuse is just a cover for spineless hypocrisy.

Grallon

How do our resident Muslim lovers feel today? :contract:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Brazen

Here's a satirical magazine I'd feel safe working for.

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 09:40:56 AM
This came up just now, she's wrong on her general thesis, but I find is humorous that this was just posted

Karen Armstrong on Religion and the History of Violence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6I-V3iNeFo
I It's very interesting because ... like in The Wire, which all of the delightful white liberals who are creaming over This American Life also adore and cherish. One of the big central moral issues in The Wire is that a state's witness was killed and if you're going to step out and like speak a truth about a crime as a state's witness then you deserve to be protected and respected for that. r eally liked parts of the book but she distorts Islamic history beyond recognition.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jacob

Quote from: Grallon on January 07, 2015, 12:21:12 PM

Pretty crappy, thanks for asking.

You seem to be in a fine and cheerful mood.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on January 07, 2015, 12:21:12 PM

G.

I guess the Mosque burnings didn't arouse you attention earlier this week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 12:13:22 PM
Admittedly, Sheilbh, there have been those on the left who even opposed Salman.
Really? I genuinely can't think of any, maybe there's a few now but at the time.

The most prominent who was, for want of a better word, anti-Salman was John Le Carre who may be of the left. But his criticism of Rushdie from what I remember reading was always ever so slightly xenophobic. It was ever so slightly why should Britain pay for the protection of this man? It's something that's always made me very wary of Le Carre outside his novels since.

QuoteSo the "oh it's so hard to defend these nasty cartoons" excuse is just a cover for spineless hypocrisy.
Not really because you're still saying yes to free speech, but by the way this is pretty distasteful. There's no hypocrisy there. Though I don't know if it holds with Charlie Hebdo, which even I'd heard of before this, and is like France's Private Eye.

To go to celed's 'The Interview' point I absolutely support the writes of James Franco and Seth Rogen, but I sure as hell ain't going to watch their latest film :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 12:27:06 PM

You seem to be in a fine and cheerful mood.

Indeed; because I think this attack will win the presidency for Marine Le Pen.  ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel