News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2015, 01:13:54 PM
Weren't most of the Gospels written in Aramaic?  I thought I read once that Luke was noticeable among the disciples for writing in Greek, taken as evidence of his education.
You may be confused with The Dead Sea scrools that were mostly written in ancient Hebrew, some Aramaic and then Greek.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2015, 03:39:50 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 01:54:46 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 01:31:18 PM
Twitter is mobilising:

Obviously a fake. That pencil sharpener is much too big for the pencils.

Looks more like an M-16, or at least a chopped down M-4.

To me it looks like a M107.

Why does it says comrade in spanish?
Are they commies?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Duque de Bragança

Compañero is more like partner, mate or companion than comrade which exists in Spanish as camarada as well.

Your Sefaradi-Judeo-Castillian connection is getting weaker and weaker, compañero.  :contract:

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: Siege on January 07, 2015, 03:46:40 PM

Why does it says comrade in spanish?
Are they commies?

What word do you use for the other members of your unit?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Wonder what kind of security the building had. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2015, 04:00:26 PM

Well they did need to kidnap one of the employees to have her enter the key code to get in.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2015, 04:00:26 PM
I imagine not much more than any other office. Apparently the publishers of Houllebecq's latest have beefed up their security.

I suspect that with attacks like this, Sidney, Canada and so on we may end up seeing an end to unarmed policing in London, which would be a great shame.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

A statement from Salman Rushdie, now being re-tweeted by Neil Gaiman and other writers:

Quote"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. 'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."  –Salman Rushdie

I could not agree more. I guess for several people here, that's racism and bigotry but go fuck yourself.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 02:26:50 PM
Quote from: Grallon on January 07, 2015, 12:21:12 PM
How do our resident Muslim lovers feel today? :contract:

G.

Apparently, not phased in the least.

Heh.  Just 80 years ago, the phrase would been "Jew lovers".  The more things change...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:20:33 PM
A statement from Salman Rushdie, now being re-tweeted by Neil Gaiman and other writers:

Quote"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. 'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."  –Salman Rushdie

I could not agree more. I guess for several people here, that's racism and bigotry but go fuck yourself.

And so extremism begets more extremism.

Why is it that all religions "deserve" disrespect?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk