News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Oh. It was legitimately printed by many international media as Charlie Hebdo cover. :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Martinus on February 08, 2015, 02:30:56 PM
Oh. It was legitimately printed by many international media as Charlie Hebdo cover. :P

Did they blur it too?

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 08, 2015, 02:34:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 08, 2015, 02:30:56 PM

Did they blur it too?

Nope. I saw it first in Jerusalem Post.

Duque de Bragança

Martinus

I thought the idea was that "Look, they make fun of everybody and only Muslims are stupid".

I guess this is much a weaker case if, in fact, they made fun of everybody except for the Jews. :P

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 08, 2015, 02:21:11 PM
Meanwhile in Germany:

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-Judge-Torching-of-Synagogue-not-motivated-by-anti-Semitism-390294

Glad to see the JP trying to write stories as badly as a British newspaper.  There is a huge difference between a judge not finding a defendant guilty of a hate crime, and a judge stating that the defendants absolutely were not motivated by hate. The JP missed that distinction completely.  The JP at least got it right that some Green party deputy can read minds and state with certainty what motivated the defendants.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

From the Grauniad

Local police forces on the watch :)

QuoteUK police force apologises for taking details of Charlie Hebdo readers

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/09/wiltshire-police-apologise-details-charlie-hebdo-readers

QuoteWiltshire force says it has deleted from its system details of four people who bought copies of magazine from a newsagent

A British police force has apologised after an officer told a newsagent to hand over details of customers who purchased copies of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in the wake of the Paris terror attacks.

Wiltshire police confirmed that one of their officers visited a newsagent in Corsham, Wiltshire, to ask for the names of four customers who ordered the commemorative "survivors' issue" of the magazine.

The incident came to light when Anne Keat, 77, who bought the special issue from that newsagent, wrote a letter to the Guardian to warn people that wearing badges emblazoned with je suis Charlie may attract police interest.

In the letter, which was published on Monday, Keat wrote: "Your offer of commemorative badges in support of journalistic freedom highlighting je suis Charlie prompts me to suggest a degree of caution following my experience. Tongue in cheek, I asked my helpful newsagents to obtain a copy of the edition of Charlie Hebdo issued after the dreadful massacre in Paris, if indeed a copy was ever available in north Wiltshire.

Charlie Hebdo buyers attract police interest
Letter: A member of Her Majesty's police service visited the newsagent, requesting the names of the four customers who had purchased Charlie Hebdo
"To my surprise, a copy arrived last Wednesday week and although the standard of content in no way matches that of the Guardian I will cherish it. However, two days later a member of Her Majesty's police service visited said newsagent, requesting the names of the four customers who had purchased Charlie Hebdo. So beware, your badges may attract police interest in your customers."

In a statement, Wiltshire police apologised to "the members of the public who may be affected by this" and said they had deleted the details from their system.

A spokeswoman said: "Following the terrorism incident in Paris, France on 7 January 2015, Wiltshire police undertook an assessment of community tensions across the county. As part of this work, local sector policing teams were asked to be mindful of business premises, in particular newsagents who may be distributing the Charlie Hebdo magazine and to consider that these shops may be vulnerable.

"There was no specific threat nationally and nothing to suggest newsagents in particular would be vulnerable."

She continued: "A police officer visited a local shop and post office in Corsham to make an assessment of community tensions and, if appropriate, encourage the newsagent's owner to be vigilant. During this conversation the officer requested information about subscribers to the Charlie Hebdo magazine.

"Wiltshire police would like to apologise to the members of public who may be affected by this. Information relating to this specific incident has been permanently and securely disposed of.

"Wiltshire police are confident that the police officer's intention was purely around enhancing public safety and ensuring that the newsagent was advised appropriately."

It is understood that the officer involved has been given a "word of advice" but will not face disciplinary action. The force said it had received no complaints about the incident.

Angus Macpherson, the police and crime commissioner for Wiltshire and Swindon, described the incident as "unfortunate". He added: "I would like to welcome the statement issued today by Wiltshire police.

"The public should be reassured that Wiltshire police tasked officers across the county to assess community tensions in the aftermath of the shootings in Paris.

"It is unfortunate that an officer – no doubt acting with the best of intentions – requested details from a newsagent of customers who had bought Charlie Hebdo magazine.

"I am reassured that the force have taken the right action and permanently and securely disposed of the information gathered.

"I am satisfied that there was no intention on the part of the force to seek to inhibit the circulation of Charlie Hebdo."

Speaking to the Guardian on Monday, Keat said it was "ridiculous" that police officers had asked for her details, but she said she didn't think it was a big deal.

"I think it was a non-event really. It's nothing particularly exciting," she said. "The reason I sent the letter to the Guardian was not so much the police – although that was an element of it – it was that on Saturday you advertised two badges to do with Charlie Hebdo. If the police visit because I bought Charlie Hebdo, what are they going to do if everyone starts buying these badges?"

Keat said that after sending the letter she feared she may have been the victim of a hoax, but she now believed the police visit was genuine. "I think they did turn up. The reason for that I can't tell you, only they can tell you that," she said.

"The thing I regret most is that I said the Guardian was much better. What I should have said was that Steve Bell is a much better satirist than Charlie Hebdo. He's a much better satirist than the whole of Charlie Hebdo put together."

A worker at the nearby newsagent Hawthorn Stores said she had been inundated with calls from the media all day and she was not prepared to comment on the police visit.

mongers

QuoteReuters / Monday, February 16, 2015

A carnival float with a papier-mache caricature drives past revelers during the traditional Rose Monday carnival parade in Duesseldorf, Germany February 16, 2015. The words read: "You can't kill satire." REUTERS/Ina Fassbender
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grallon

If I was one of those mythical moderate Muslims, I'd seriously begin to worry that my 'brand' was forever associated with death, destruction, murder, rape, terrorism... and start being concerned about the massive ill will rapidly accruing everywhere with each demonstration of such barbarity...

But perhaps they all have faith that Islam will triumph in the end, absolving them all of their crimes?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jacob

Do you genuinely believe that there are no moderate muslims, Grallon?

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2015, 08:01:58 PM
Do you genuinely believe that there are no moderate muslims, Grallon?

Do you really want an answer Jake?

I'll say the devout Muslim cannot be moderate as he believes in absolutes; between him and the terrorist there's a difference in degree only.  He may not strap himself with explosives, they're humans after all, but quietly applauds when someone else does and infidels die.

However I'm quite aware there are plenty of people, raised within Islam, that don't give much of a fuck about the preachings of the imams...  Like I said I know and work with several such, who are actually just as horrified by the extremes their 'brethren' will go to in their quest for purity as we are.

The problem lies in that they always have their death cult absolutism to fall back on, should they ever become dissatisfied with anything they disapprove of, become frustrated with or wish to reject the responsibility of their own flaws on...

Thus a Muslim, born and bred, or converted, is always suspicious; because you cannot help but wonder when will the next ticking bomb go off, and if it'll be you that's on the death toll when it happens!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

dps

Quote from: Grallon on February 17, 2015, 08:24:52 PM

I'll say the devout Muslim cannot be moderate as he believes in absolutes; between him and the terrorist there's a difference in degree only.

Wow, now there's an internally inconsistent sentence.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on February 17, 2015, 08:51:40 PM

I'll say the devout Muslim cannot be moderate as he believes in absolutes; between him and the terrorist there's a difference in degree only.

Irony isn't just the opposite of wrinkly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grallon

Quote from: dps on February 17, 2015, 08:51:40 PM

Do you doubt Muslim terrorists are devout?

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Habbaku

:huh: That's not even close to what he's criticizing about your sentence.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien