News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2015, 05:19:08 PM
That's a response to insults; he said not to be insulting in the first place.
Did you read Marti's post before responding to it, or just jump in with the reflex Catholic reaction?  Because the statement above indicates that you didn't actually read what Marti wrote, at all.  Please play again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2015, 05:38:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2015, 05:19:08 PM
That's a response to insults; he said not to be insulting in the first place.
Did you read Marti's post before responding to it, or just jump in with the reflex Catholic reaction?  Because the statement above indicates that you didn't actually read what Marti wrote, at all.  Please play again.

I jumped in with the reflex "you're full of shit, Marti" reaction.   And why the fuck do I have to read what Marti wrote anyway, since whatever he writes is shrilly inaccurate hyperbole anyway?  He heard from a fag who heard from a queen that read it in This Week In Rimming Illustrated that the Pope said it's OK to murder people, which everybody knows that's not what he said. 

Jacob

Yeah, I didn't get "it's okay to murder people" from the Pope's statement, whatever Marti might have written in his post.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2015, 05:17:23 PM
He could say turn the other cheek.

Always be on the lookout for opportunities to preach the message of jesus to the infidel muslims.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on January 19, 2015, 10:56:50 PM
Always be on the lookout for opportunities to preach the message of jesus to the infidel muslims.

At least in this case, it sure as hell wouldn't hurt.

And lets not forget Muslims claim to revere Jesus as a true prophet.  :contract:

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2015, 05:14:00 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2015, 01:12:11 PM
Also, the Pope has made comments actually saying that violence in response to "insults" is permitted. So much for a cool Pope.

Good grief.  He's the head of one of the world's major religious denominations.  Of course he's going to say it's not nice to insult others' faiths.  The fuck you'd think he'd say,  the joke about two Jews and a Muslim who walk into a bar?

His exact quote:

Quote"You can't provoke, you can't insult the faith of others, you can't make fun of faith."

"I think both freedom of religion and freedom of expression are both fundamental human rights," he said, adding that he was talking specifically about the Paris killings. "Everyone has not only the freedom and the right but the obligation to say what he thinks for the common good ... we have the right to have this freedom openly without offending," he said.

"It is true that you must not react violently, but although we are good friends if [he] says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch, it's normal."

He later retracted that he wasn't excusing violence but not sure how otherwise one is to read the last part I bolded.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2015, 10:25:08 PM
Yeah, I didn't get "it's okay to murder people" from the Pope's statement, whatever Marti might have written in his post.

Good that I didn't say he said "it's okay to murder people".  :rolleyes:

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2015, 01:30:35 AM

Quote"It is true that you must not react violently, but although we are good friends if [he] says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch, it's normal."

He later retracted that he wasn't excusing violence but not sure how otherwise one is to read the last part I bolded.

If you read the mess like a personal story from the pope's everyday life, then sure.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

I would punch Marty for a lot less.  Actually Marty and I had a talk about this.  Planning to punch someone for something they have written is wrong.  Punch some jack ass who is provoking you on the street is okay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I say let's get Raz to fly to Poland or Marty to fly to Missouri, both of you put boxing gloves on and go at it. Make sure to record the fight and share it on the forum.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

So the Pope says if you talk about his mother, you can expect a punch in the nose.   Holy shit, stop the presses.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 20, 2015, 07:47:41 AM
So the Pope says if you talk about his mother, you can expect a punch in the nose.   Holy shit, stop the presses.

You know that there is such a thing as context, right?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2015, 07:51:26 AM

Not on Languish there isn't. 

The Minsky Moment

Yes but here that context suggests that the Pope isn't saying violence is permitted in response to insults.  He is saying that one "must not" do so but nonetheless it is a natural human response to certain insults. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2015, 11:54:44 AM

Yes but here that context suggests that the Pope isn't saying violence is permitted in response to insults.  He is saying that one "must not" do so but nonetheless it is a natural human response to certain insults.

The context is that Martinus doesn't understand context.  This is a completely uncontroversial statement from the Pope, one that many of us have probably expressed in passing to friends and family.  The Pope clearly isn't condoning violence.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien