And we're back!

Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 06:48:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:46:06 PM
It's a rather odd sight to see some North American posters taking Europeans to task over they're attitudes to muslim and islam, given the overtly racists attitudes expressed here by a few of those same posters in the run up to, and the immediate aftermath of Iraq war.

Links, plz.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:53:21 PM

Islam is a threat.  All Muslims are with the terrorists.

Same page as this one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2015, 08:34:05 PM
It's a rather odd sight to see some North American posters taking Europeans to task over they're attitudes to muslim and islam, given the overtly racists attitudes expressed here by a few of those same posters in the run up to, and the immediate aftermath of Iraq war.

Links, plz.

Same page as this one.

Wasn't expressed during the run-up to, and immediate aftermath of the Iraq War.

And I agree with your earlier implies sentiment that it's surprising to find Yi taking the Grallon position.

garbon

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 08:40:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2015, 08:34:05 PM

Links, plz.

Same page as this one.

Wasn't expressed during the run-up to, and immediate aftermath of the Iraq War.

And I agree with your earlier implies sentiment that it's surprising to find Yi taking the Grallon position.

Yi wasn't being serious was he? After all, shortly thereafter he said that he doesn't know a single person that holds the position that all muslims are with the terrorists. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah I thought that was tongue in cheek.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Yeah seemed pretty obvious to me. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:56:07 PM
Mongers is right, IMO, that a number of American posters were pretty anti-Muslim around the Iraq wars etc.

During periods of war, it's common to root for the home team.

QuoteI don't think it's particularly ironic, in that the posters who were are not the same ones as are taking Euros to task over any anti-Muslim attitudes. Except possibly CdM, but that's just how he rolls with this stuff - generally progressive in outlook, incredibly racist in mode of expression, always willing to tell Euros they're shit... and everyone else too, really.

I've not taking Europeans to task for any anti-Muslim attitudes, and I'd like to see in this thread where you have evidence that I have. But since you insist on judging me as is your wont, I'll play, pigeon.

I don't need to take Europeans to task for anti-Muslim attitudes, since European anti-Muslim sentiment is just symptomatic of their greater xenophobia and ethnocentric racism in general, so it's just really Europe being Europe.  Watching proponents of the EU bitch about Turkish "debt" is like watching Southerns whites use "state's rights", it's all just code.  That's what's so hilarious about European hypocrisy.  As if the Balkans in the 90s wasn't enough of an example, look at the general apathy over the Ukraine:  it's all anti-Russian more so than being pro-Ukrainian, since the Ukrainians are another people the "real" Europeans couldn't give two shits about, either.  Come to think of it, they've never given two shits about anybody east of the Oder.  But I don't take them to task for it.  I just call them out on their hypocritical enlightened bullshit.

It doesn't help Europe that very liberal political asylum laws, in allowing a massive influx of Muslim immigrants from conflict zones in a very short time span, have resulted in more fractured, polarized and militant communities than those the usual forms of staggered and procedural immigration processes create:  those that take years of working towards the employment, established residencies and solid incomes that help immigrant communities in integrating and assimilating into their new home economies.  But those are political choices Europeans have made. Deal.

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 07:36:01 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 07:06:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2015, 07:05:07 PM
Mongers is right, IMO, that a number of American posters were pretty anti-Muslim around the Iraq wars etc.

I don't think it's particularly ironic, in that the posters who were are not the same ones as are taking Euros to task over any anti-Muslim attitudes.

But that's exactly the thing. He's spinning a narrative of hypocritical Americans who espouse anti-muslim attitudes and then are now taking Euros to task over that.

He probably has a hard time telling Americans apart from one another.

Well I have a hard time recalling the ones who weren't at the time revelling in some of the violence meeted out in Iraq.   :D

Do you recall that thread we had about the apache helicopter footage released by I  think by wikileaks, that showed those Iraqi, militia and/or civilians being chewed up by cannon fire and possibly missile strikes, iirc several posters thought that pretty neat. Are one or two of those now taking a more nuanced approach to the Middle East and Muslim, both in the light of experience and as an opportunity to attack Europeans ? 

I can't prove these, because we don't have the old databases of posting nor the access the original Paradox OT. 
So it's just my impression, does that make it untruthful?

I remember that discussion, and I cannot recall a single poster, American or otherwise, who thought it was "kind of neat".

I think you are full of shit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 08:49:45 PM
I've not taking Europeans to task for any anti-Muslim attitudes, and I'd like to see in this thread where you have evidence that I have.

I wasn't sure, thus the "perhaps". I conflated your habitual upbraiding of Euros for their anti-Semitism with the current topic. My apologies for the mistake.

QuoteBut since you insist on judging me as is your wont, I'll play, pigeon.

:hug:

QuoteI don't need to take Europeans to task for anti-Muslim attitudes, since European anti-Muslim sentiment is just symptomatic of their greater xenophobia and ethnocentric racism in general, so it's just really Europe being Europe.  Watching proponents of the EU bitch about Turkish "debt" is like watching Southerns whites use "state's rights", it's all just code.  That's what's so hilarious about European hypocrisy.  As if the Balkans in the 90s wasn't enough of an example, look at the general apathy over the Ukraine:  it's all anti-Russian more so than being pro-Ukrainian, since the Ukrainians are another people the "real" Europeans couldn't give two shits about, either.  Come to think of it, they've never given two shits about anybody east of the Oder.  But I don't take them to task for it.  I just call them out on their hypocritical enlightened bullshit.

It doesn't help Europe that very liberal political asylum laws, in allowing a massive influx of Muslim immigrants from conflict zones in a very short time span, have resulted in more fractured, polarized and militant communities than those the usual forms of staggered and procedural immigration processes create:  those that take years of working towards the employment, established residencies and solid incomes that help immigrant communities in integrating and assimilating into their new home economies.  But those are political choices Europeans have made. Deal.

That's all pretty on point. No arguments from me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on January 09, 2015, 12:50:53 AM
I conflated your habitual upbraiding of Euros for their anti-Semitism with the current topic. My apologies for the mistake.

It happens.  In monkey shit fights, everybody gets a little wet.  Apology accepted.  :hug:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 08:43:39 PM
Yeah I thought that was tongue in cheek.

It's not entirely inconsistent with what statements he's made here before.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,10303.0.html

I definitely get a negative vibe here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 08:49:45 PM

During periods of war, it's common to root for the home team.

QuoteI don't think it's particularly ironic, in that the posters who were are not the same ones as are taking Euros to task over any anti-Muslim attitudes. Except possibly CdM, but that's just how he rolls with this stuff - generally progressive in outlook, incredibly racist in mode of expression, always willing to tell Euros they're shit... and everyone else too, really.

I've not taking Europeans to task for any anti-Muslim attitudes, and I'd like to see in this thread where you have evidence that I have. But since you insist on judging me as is your wont, I'll play, pigeon.

I don't need to take Europeans to task for anti-Muslim attitudes, since European anti-Muslim sentiment is just symptomatic of their greater xenophobia and ethnocentric racism in general, so it's just really Europe being Europe.  Watching proponents of the EU bitch about Turkish "debt" is like watching Southerns whites use "state's rights", it's all just code.  That's what's so hilarious about European hypocrisy.  As if the Balkans in the 90s wasn't enough of an example, look at the general apathy over the Ukraine:  it's all anti-Russian more so than being pro-Ukrainian, since the Ukrainians are another people the "real" Europeans couldn't give two shits about, either.  Come to think of it, they've never given two shits about anybody east of the Oder.  But I don't take them to task for it.  I just call them out on their hypocritical enlightened bullshit.

Don't recall somebody bitching here or anywhere about Turkish "debt", please explain. The massive influx of Muslim immigrants in France is not directly linked to generous asylum laws.
Illegal immigration is an issue, and a very lax policy right now thanks to Hollande and its ilk.
As for the alleged choices Europeans have made that's wrong, nobody was asked for instance to grant easy family regrouping in the '70s (the PC left makes it even taboo to question it) and nobody serious proposes ending it in a realistic way. The only ones serious about it are the FN, but their economic policy would be a huge disaster. I can accept ending dual citizenship, or much stronger naturalisation criteria or even the end of Jus soli, but the nonsense about the EU or even the Euro is staggering.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 05:15:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:04:27 PM
Does the world think all Muslims are with the terrorists?  I think not, so I think the cartoonist is full of shit.

That's a strangely absolutist and literal way to read cartoons. By that metric most of the the cartoons we've seen from Charlie Hebdo and in response to the shootings are full of shit too.

I don't think many people here are defending accuracy or insightfulness of Charlie Hebdo cartoons. Or using them to prove a point.