European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 07, 2015, 10:23:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 10:11:41 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 07, 2015, 09:55:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 09:51:45 PM
Why do you say the Catholic Church talks about being "unchanging"?

I meant on the big doctrine stuff.

But that is the point isnt it?  On the big doctrine stuff the Catholics have remained constant while they have adopted quite well to the modern world.  Unlike some other Christians who reject things like evolution and who think humans lived with dinosaurs for example.

The problem here is that Viking is taking one of the "big doctrine unchanging items" -- the views toward which parts of old testament law apply, and saying it is proof the church is flexible to change.

Yeah, except he is wrong on the facts.  The 10 commandments are one of those big doctrine bedrock items that didnt change.

dps

derspiess

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 12:46:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 11:29:32 PM
Methodist!

And we got a winna!

Honestly didn't know that.  I assume you know the secret handshake? :yeahright:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 12:49:38 AM
I assume you know the secret handshake? :yeahright:

A Methodist, not Method Actor.

Martinus

But that is the point isnt it?  On the big doctrine stuff the Catholics have remained constant while they have adopted quite well to the modern world.  Unlike some other Christians who reject things like evolution and who think humans lived with dinosaurs for example.

What do you consider "big doctrine" though? Immaculate conception, for example, is now a central part of the doctrine, but it has been so for a relatively short time. The Catholic Church has revised its doctrine a number of times, not just on social issues but on the dogma as well.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 11:31:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 07, 2015, 10:23:10 PM

The problem here is that Viking is taking one of the "big doctrine unchanging items" -- the views toward which parts of old testament law apply, and saying it is proof the church is flexible to change.

Yeah, except he is wrong on the facts.  The 10 commandments are one of those big doctrine bedrock items that didnt change.

This is a very simplified view, though. For one thing, the importance of 10 commandments was different in different periods. For another, the interpretation also changed (for example, right now, the Catholic Church is interpreting the fifth commandment as an opposition to death penalty - that has not always been this way).

Syt

Die Zeit quotes a recent poll by the Bertelsmann Foundation who monitor attitudes towards religions. According to their recent survey (taken before the attack in Paris):
- 57% of Germans see Islam as a threat
- 40% feel they're strangers in their own country
- 24% would ban Muslims from immigrating

At the same time, more than half of Germans consider themselves to be tolerant.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

95% of Languishites see Martinus anti-Catholicism as more annoying than Islamic fundamentalism.

Margin of error: +/- 5%

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 02:26:02 PM
So, my Amazon purchase order now features an English version of Quran (hardcover), two copies of Dieux du Stade 2015 naked rugby player calendar and an iPhone wallet cover. Will I make it to the FBI watch list?  :huh:

No but you are going to confuse the hell out of the Amazon recommendation bot.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 08, 2015, 11:32:26 AM
So, my Amazon purchase order now features an English version of Quran (hardcover), two copies of Dieux du Stade 2015 naked rugby player calendar and an iPhone wallet cover. Will I make it to the FBI watch list?  :huh:

Yeah, random muslims buying the Quran will get "other people bought this with this" a gay calendar.

Well played Martinus, well played.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 04:32:45 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 04:09:57 PM
On what basis is Rabbinic Judaism not a religion of laws?

In terms of the topic I think Nigel Farage's attack this evening on a 'fifth column living amongst us, holding our passports' is sailing pretty close to the wind.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow: this is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn"

That sort of convinced me.... The central point seems to be to reconcile the laws to morality and reality rather than the other way round. That's what I mean.

Rabbinic Judaism is a religion of laws, and a religion of morals, and a whole bunch of other things.  Its a complex multidimensional historical and sociological phenomenon that can't be summarized in simplistic labels

As is Islam.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 11:27:38 AM
95% of Languishites see Martinus anti-Catholicism as more annoying than Islamic fundamentalism.

While 90% of Languishites either believe that religion deserves to be disrespected.  But only if they can replace the word deserve with something else that makes more sense.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 08, 2015, 11:32:26 AM

Other customers have purchased:

Stephens, Kevin Coaching Rugby: 120 Drills & Practice Sessions Plans
De Sade, M. 120 Days of Sodom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 08, 2015, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 11:27:38 AM

While 90% of Languishites either believe that religion deserves to be disrespected.  But only if they can replace the word deserve with something else that makes more sense.

Can't we just link vid clips to Monty Python skits instead?