News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I think Malthus is right and Viking wrong, but to take Viking's side and counterbalance the dog pile a bit, I think there is something to what he is saying. Yes Malthus is right in the case of Catholic views toward Old Testament laws--they take a point of view that has been established for a very long time and is not so easy to change.

However, if you look at actual Catholic practice, ~500 years ago they were having heretics burned at the stake, a scientist was put under arrest for pointing out the planets revolve around the sun, and large parts of the world were being forcibly subjugated in part to spread the religion. Even though the Church talks about being unchanging, preaching consistent messages, etc, it has been flexible enough to change with the times.

I'd argue that this has happened in Islam too, even if events like this suggest otherwise.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Why do you say the Catholic Church talks about being "unchanging"?

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 09:51:45 PM

I meant on the big doctrine stuff.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 07, 2015, 09:55:08 PM

But that is the point isnt it?  On the big doctrine stuff the Catholics have remained constant while they have adopted quite well to the modern world.  Unlike some other Christians who reject things like evolution and who think humans lived with dinosaurs for example.

CountDeMoney

It's a centralized corporate model all the independent franchises are lacking.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 10:11:41 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 07, 2015, 09:55:08 PM

But that is the point isnt it?  On the big doctrine stuff the Catholics have remained constant while they have adopted quite well to the modern world.  Unlike some other Christians who reject things like evolution and who think humans lived with dinosaurs for example.

The problem here is that Viking is taking one of the "big doctrine unchanging items" -- the views toward which parts of old testament law apply, and saying it is proof the church is flexible to change.

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2015, 09:33:39 PM
Quote from: dps on January 07, 2015, 09:29:34 PM
As a non-Catholic Christian, I'm still waiting for Viking to tell me which 9 commandments I believe in.

Can I guess which denomination?

Lutheran.

Was that actually a serious guess?  'Cause I've actually mentioned in the past what denomination I belong to, and it isn't Lutheran.

derspiess

As a non-Catholic Christian, I'm still waiting for Viking to tell me which 9 commandments I believe in.

Obviously Baptist.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: dps on January 07, 2015, 10:39:13 PM

Lutheran.

Was that actually a serious guess?  'Cause I've actually mentioned in the past what denomination I belong to, and it isn't Lutheran.

Am I ever that serious?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2015, 10:46:40 PM
Quote from: dps on January 07, 2015, 10:39:13 PM

Lutheran.

Am I ever that serious?

Not that I can recall, but I don't always read every thread, so there may be stuff I've missed.

And no, derspiess, I'm not Baptist, and I have no idea if you were being serious, either.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.