Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2015, 04:48:58 PM
Not at all.  He might have made someone feel uncomfortable.
So? I think you're tilting at a straw man here.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:00:10 PM

Sheilbh, I'd like you to meet derspiess. Derspiess, this is Sheilbh. You've both been posting for a while here on languish, so you might want to get to know one another.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 04:46:55 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 04:40:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 04:34:57 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 04:03:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 03:33:09 PM
In short, Catholics look to the OT for stuff like "thou shalt not kill", but not for stuff like "thou shalt not eat bacon", and they think "thiu shalt not fuck other men" falls into the first category.

The very point is that it is up to christians to find out which of those laws can safely be ignored and which cannot. The ability to that at all is the central difference between a religion of morals and a religion of laws.

For someone claiming to know a lot about Catholicism you are putting forth a position that is fundamentally and diametrically opposed to the teaching of the Church.  Catholic means universal.  To have a Universal church it needed to have a consistent interpretation of theological principles.  That is what the fight for what would be considered orthodox and unorthodox through the ages has been all about.

Your notion that a believer can simply decide for themselves is part of non Catholic theology.

the word "christians" refers to more than just Catholics, if you choose to follow the catholic "plate at the buffet" you are a catholic.

Yes, but you were just arguing about Catholics specifically.

It is true there are a wide range of Christian beliefs (just as there are a wide range of Islamic ones). I challenge you to find a single version of mainstream Christianity that thought homosexuality was morally acceptable prior to the 20th century. (For Islam, the answer would be "Sufism").

Don't pretend to read my mind, when I mean Catholics I'll use the word Catholic.

As for Rumi, I offer you the opportunity to show that his relationship was in the open and accepted by his peers. Else I call Bullshit.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 05:03:16 PM
Don't pretend to read my mind, when I mean Catholics I'll use the word Catholic.

We're reading your posts. That's enough.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:04:09 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 05:03:16 PM

We're reading your posts. That's enough.

Obviously you fail at reading comprehension.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 05:06:14 PMObviously you fail at reading comprehension.

Not a problem for you since you clearly don't read most of the posts you respond to.

The Brain

This is why I come to Languish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 04:24:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 02:17:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 11:57:09 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:50:43 AM

Yes. Religions are ideas and should be treated as such. What you think about government spending or gun rights or the chinese plan for the nicaragua canal is subject to criticism and you are subject to mockery and ridicule for thinking the world is flat or thinking that vaccines cause autism.

Just to be sure, are you saying that religions and ideas should be treated the same?  For all intents and purposes Atheism is a secular religion?

The point is that all ideas - whether it is a religion, atheism or, say, vegetarianism, should be treated the same and be given the same kind of protection. That does not mean all of them are religions.  :huh:

Okay, so is acceptable to ban religion?  Certain ideas are banned in Europe, correct?

It is acceptable to ban certain religions if they are deemed harmful to the public good. For example, scientology is banned in several European countries.

Likewise, it is acceptable to ban certain practices, even if they are important to some religions. For example, certain countries ban ritual slaughter of animals.

Okay, I just wanted to see if you really were totalitarian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:00:10 PM

Or maybe I honestly misread your post.  I thought you were saying Farage was getting close to illegal hate speech.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2015, 06:01:59 PM
Or maybe I honestly misread your post.  I thought you were saying Farage was getting close to illegal hate speech.
But Islamophobia's not illegal hate speech, nor should it be.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

As a non-Catholic Christian, I'm still waiting for Viking to tell me which 9 commandments I believe in.

Ed Anger

Quote from: dps on January 07, 2015, 09:29:34 PM
As a non-Catholic Christian, I'm still waiting for Viking to tell me which 9 commandments I believe in.

Can I guess which denomination?

Lutheran.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I believe in that one commandment that makes it illegal to quarter troops in my house.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive