News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 12:19:34 PM
And of course Islamophobia isn't a perfect word. But irrational against Muslims (not Islam) does exist and Islamophobia's the word we've got.

It's a fine word, it's the usage that's problematic, in the same way that Israel's labeling of any criticism of itself as anti-Semitic is problematic.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 11:57:09 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:50:43 AM

Yes. Religions are ideas and should be treated as such. What you think about government spending or gun rights or the chinese plan for the nicaragua canal is subject to criticism and you are subject to mockery and ridicule for thinking the world is flat or thinking that vaccines cause autism.

Just to be sure, are you saying that religions and ideas should be treated the same?  For all intents and purposes Atheism is a secular religion?

Secular religion? Does the meaning of words matter to you at all? In any case do your best, you are free to insult my ethics morals and values as much as you can. It doesn't insult me I just consider it part of normal discourse.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 12:29:53 PM
So, say, Drakkan - if a Muslim imam denounces the radical Islamicists and says the fighting and terrorism is unislamic to the point that he is stabbed or otherwise attacked on seven different occasions... is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

Yes, that exact sort of intervention and mobilization. Officially, vocally, and repeatedly.

That a Muslim imam would be stabbed and repeatedly attacked because of doing what is the right thing to do, shows that something is fucked up inside that religion that needs to be addressed quickly inside that community. I've never seen a Bishop being murdered by his parishioners inside his own Church because he professed women should be allowed to become Catholic priests.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2015, 12:32:09 PM
It's a fine word, it's the usage that's problematic, in the same way that Israel's labeling of any criticism of itself as anti-Semitic is problematic.
Okay, I agree. John Kerry is not the mouthpiece of anti-semitism for example. And I don't think it should be used to silence people either (you do that by winning the argument).

But I think that it (and its cousin anti-semitism) is a problem that exists in Europe and is growing and should be confronted.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 12:33:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 11:57:09 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 11:50:43 AM

Yes. Religions are ideas and should be treated as such. What you think about government spending or gun rights or the chinese plan for the nicaragua canal is subject to criticism and you are subject to mockery and ridicule for thinking the world is flat or thinking that vaccines cause autism.

Just to be sure, are you saying that religions and ideas should be treated the same?  For all intents and purposes Atheism is a secular religion?

Secular religion? Does the meaning of words matter to you at all? In any case do your best, you are free to insult my ethics morals and values as much as you can. It doesn't insult me I just consider it part of normal discourse.

Ah, so religion is just some ideas, but Atheism, that's special?  I'm not insulting your beliefs I'm trying to clarify what you mean.  I insult your method of posting stuff you haven't taken time to read, because someone else has told you that it makes your case.  But let me ask you something, do you think religion should be banned?  You have said that religion is simply a bunch of ideas, but in many countries in the EU ideas are banned like Nazism (which you keep bring up for some reason).  Since you have said that religion should enjoy no special status over other ideas, presumably then this would be okay in the countries where certain ideas are banned (like Nazism).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 11:32:04 AM
Until very recently, every major Christian denomination opposed homosexuality as sinful (and most still do), based on Leviticus, the story of Sodom, and various statements in the Gospels.

What statements in the gospels?  As far as I know this is only mentioned by Paul.

But anyway I think people's problems with living under certain religions has to do with what happens now rather than what may or may not have happened 70 years ago.  If a major Islamic sect became as gay friendly as the Anglican church is today I don't think Marty would have a problem with their 'core beliefs'. 

As for me I have a serious problem with religions who have sets of laws....in the sense I would never be a part of such a religion and if somebody asked my advice about joining such a religion I would be against it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on January 07, 2015, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 12:27:53 PM
I should have stopped reading that the word rant. :rolleyes:

Except that I support and defend your right to disagree. I won't threaten to come over and physically silence you because you do.

ok?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 12:49:21 PM
Ah, so religion is just some ideas, but Atheism, that's special?

Strange why is religion not capitalized but Atheism is?  You are aware there are many sorts of atheism like there are many sorts of religions right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 12:58:30 PM
Quote from: Drakken on January 07, 2015, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 12:27:53 PM
I should have stopped reading that the word rant. :rolleyes:

Except that I support and defend your right to disagree. I won't threaten to come over and physically silence you because you do.

ok?

But apparently people who share his beliefs may burn down your buildings.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 07, 2015, 12:58:39 PM

Strange why is religion not capitalized but Atheism is?  You are aware there are many sorts of atheism like there are many sorts of religions right?

I wasn't really aware of that.  Are there Atheists who believe in the divine?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2015, 01:01:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 07, 2015, 12:58:39 PM

I wasn't really aware of that.  Are there Atheists who believe in the divine?

No but what they do believe in can vary pretty radically. 

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2015, 04:14:43 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 06, 2015, 03:55:33 PM
I wonder how does a burning mosque smells.

Surprised you don't know after all that time in Iraq.

Why would you assume that I would target mosques or that I would look the other way when my guys did target practice on mosques?
Our RoE explicity state that we can only shoot at mosques when directly getting shot from mosques.
This means that even if you hear a mosque firing indirect (mortars, rockets, catapults, etc) you cannot shoot at them.
We had to get the pussies in the local police to got into the mosque and check.
Normally they came out saying" Mister, mister, all okay. No Ali Baba here, mister."
Then the dudes in the mosque wait a few minutes, and continue shooting.
Therefore, from time to time mosques got hit by stray bullets, usually from M2s and Mk19s.
Occasionally they got on fire, but I was too far out to smell it.
Regardless, we never got authorization to drop a Jdam on them.
That kind of munition has to be approved way up.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

Quote from: Siege on January 07, 2015, 01:20:40 PM(mortars, rockets, catapults, etc)

:unsure: Have you actually come under fire from a catapult once?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on January 07, 2015, 01:20:40 PM
Why would you assume that I would target mosques or that I would look the other way when my guys did target practice on mosques?

I didn't.  I just assumed Shias and Sunnis blew up each others' Mosques.