Making better humans, or rather, making less-bad ones

Started by Ideologue, December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the technological infrastructure was present for public eugenics, would you be okay with it?

Yes
8 (25%)
Yes, but only for truly insuperable diseases, like harlequinism and Tays-Sachs
10 (31.3%)
No, private eugenics has done a great job
8 (25%)
I'm okay with Jaron being sterilized
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

crazy canuck

The risks that short majority will create a future where everyone is short are simply too great.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 15, 2014, 01:11:35 PM
The risks that short majority will create a future where everyone is short are simply too great.

+1
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

It seems like most things are created with shorter people in mind. To take a Raz vein, I wonder if it would be easier to weed out tall people or to re-shape the world to accommodate everyone being tall. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on December 15, 2014, 01:00:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2014, 09:53:44 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM
Responses related to my sad-sackery can be directed to me elsewhere.  I know I have no place in any better world.
[...]
Oh, and I suppose it would increase government spending.  Feel free to also discuss aborting shitty babies in a private context, without federal funding.
Curing genetic diseases, I'm ok with it.

But then you get into the debate over what exactly constitutes a genetic disease or defect.  Raz seems to argue that homosexuality is a genetic defect, whereas in fact we don't even know for certain that it's genetic at all.  And further up the thread, Ide postulated that empathy is determined by genetics.

The thing is, I don't think Ide's ideas are even that radical - they are simple ineffective.

As I already said, in most civilised countries you can already abort pregnancy where a foetus is damaged or suffering from a disease; and both prenatal tests to check that and the cost of the abortion procedure is refunded by the local NHS. So people can take a decision more or less freely. I don't think promising additional hand-outs to people would make them take a different decision (and if it does, it would be for wrong reasons which should not be encouraged by the state).

If there is a question I guess, it is whether the state should assist you financially if you want to raise a kid who is, effectively, a vegetable and you were aware of this while you could still have a legal abortion. This is, imo, a much more interesting moral conundrum. I think it should, as the cost is likely negligible in the overall order of things, and the alternative is much more problematic.

Eddie Teach

:wacko:

This would only accelerate humanity's growth spurt.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 15, 2014, 02:18:16 PM

The point is that people will make genetic decisions based on flawed assumptions like what is too tall, too short, too etc etc etc.  If Ide were put in charge we would have a society genetically predisposed to have no artists.

viper37

Responses related to my sad-sackery can be directed to me elsewhere.  I know I have no place in any better world.
[...]
Oh, and I suppose it would increase government spending.  Feel free to also discuss aborting shitty babies in a private context, without federal funding.

But then you get into the debate over what exactly constitutes a genetic disease or defect.  Raz seems to argue that homosexuality is a genetic defect, whereas in fact we don't even know for certain that it's genetic at all.  And further up the thread, Ide postulated that empathy is determined by genetics.   
Science has a pretty good definition of what is a disease.  Having brown eyes is not a disease.
In humans, "disease" is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person.
I can't see how we fit homosexuality in there.

I think we can narrow it down sufficiently to avoid abuses, heck, aren't we already correcting stuff like down syndrome?  or simply detecting it and aborting the foetus?  Anyway, it is the same reasoning.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 15, 2014, 09:43:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2014, 09:27:51 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 15, 2014, 03:41:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2014, 06:14:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 05:40:59 PM
I wonder if homosexuality would be considered an undesirable element as homosexuals are on average more likely to be depressed and suffer STDs.

We've already had this conversation before. For both, it is hard to parse out what is intrinsic to homosexuality itself and what stems from societal pressures placed on homosexuals.

I can't believe anyone still falls for Raz's trolling. :D

No troll, but the cult of gay pride refuses to acknowledge that it's possible the condition of homosexuality has certain medical downsides and instead take the somewhat belligerent attitude of, "Well that's every one else's problem, not mine!".  Which is sort of like the black power movement blaming sickle cell anemia on racism.  I am simply suggesting that if homosexuality is prenatal then it is logical it should be able to be detected in the womb.  If that's true, then someone will find a way to alter sexuality before a person is born.  In such a situation, medical ethics would demand a parent be informed of that choice.  Since statistically parents are more likely to be straight then gay, even higher then the ratio of straights to gays in the general population the number of gay children being born is likely to decrease dramatically.  There is little reason for a straight parent to chose a sexuality for their child that different then their own, and is lots of reasons not to do so.

I see your point, Marti, and my apologies. -_-

Not something you are comfortable with facing are you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

[...]

Actually I said the opposite.  Homosexuality seems more probable in each subsequent child born to the same mother.  For instance the 1st born child is less likely to be gay then the 3rd child who is turn less likely to be gay as the 7th.   This is not the pattern of genetics but of hormonal change possibly triggered by multiple pregnancies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2014, 03:18:16 PM

Science has a pretty good definition of what is a disease.  Having brown eyes is not a disease.
In humans, "disease" is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person.

I think we can narrow it down sufficiently to avoid abuses, heck, aren't we already correcting stuff like down syndrome?  or simply detecting it and aborting the foetus?  Anyway, it is the same reasoning.

You don't see how being homosexual  can cause social problems or distress?

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 15, 2014, 02:44:42 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 15, 2014, 02:18:16 PM

The point is that people will make genetic decisions based on flawed assumptions like what is too tall, too short, too etc etc etc.  If Ide were put in charge we would have a society genetically predisposed to have no artists.

Yeah, if there's one thing I fucking hate, it's artists.

:hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Ide, if you have gotten over your STEM infatuation I applaud you

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2014, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2014, 03:18:16 PM

You don't see how being homosexual  can cause social problems or distress?
no more than being an Apple fan, a scat or feet fetishist, an animal lover, a geek, a nerd, or anything that does not conform to current societal standards.

With homosexuality, the distress or social problem one can feel are dependent upon the social reaction to this condition, not the condition in itself.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 15, 2014, 01:16:12 PM
The thing is, I don't think Ide's ideas are even that radical - they are simple ineffective.

As I already said, in most civilised countries you can already abort pregnancy where a foetus is damaged or suffering from a disease; and both prenatal tests to check that and the cost of the abortion procedure is refunded by the local NHS. So people can take a decision more or less freely. I don't think promising additional hand-outs to people would make them take a different decision (and if it does, it would be for wrong reasons which should not be encouraged by the state).

If there is a question I guess, it is whether the state should assist you financially if you want to raise a kid who is, effectively, a vegetable and you were aware of this while you could still have a legal abortion. This is, imo, a much more interesting moral conundrum. I think it should, as the cost is likely negligible in the overall order of things, and the alternative is much more problematic.

Whoever you are that has taken over Marti's account, I agree.  Well, except for some of the spelling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2014, 03:38:36 PM

no more than being an Apple fan, a scat or feet fetishist, an animal lover, a geek, a nerd, or anything that does not conform to current societal standards.

With homosexuality, the distress or social problem one can feel are dependent upon the social reaction to this condition, not the condition in itself.

This is true of most paraphilic disorders, but they are still considered disorders.  It is where atypical sexual attraction causes distress or impairment.  If we regard social reaction as  only standard we end up with some oddities.  A person of who is sexually attracted to children can be "cured", by him immigrating to culture where such a behavior is acceptable.  One of the medical risks of homosexuality is significant increased chance of STDs.  It is difficult to figure out what changes in societal standards are possible to prevent this.