27 (56.3%)
THAT'S RACISS
3 (6.3%)
I'm from outside of North America and that's normal speech, blackie
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Martinus

Quote from: Rex Francorum on December 11, 2014, 01:24:28 AM
I guess mulatto is the equivalent of "mulâtre" in french. I still use it but it is not considered as a "touchy" or "provocative" word over here - Québecistan. Actually, we have a word for Indians "mulatto" in Canada (Métis) and the word is not provocative (but the definition is a hell hole).

Pretty much same here (the Polish word is "mulat"). It wouldn't be considered offensive or touchy but it would be a bit weird, I think, especially if asked like you describe ("are you a mulatto?").

Martinus

Incidentally, I thought this would be a thread / poll whether you had sex with any mulattos. :(

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2014, 10:05:27 PM
Good grief, that's an old term.

Using it almost make someone sound like their talking about horse breeds rather than people, to my ear it has overtones of a slave owners talking about their chattels.
Yeah. Never heard it used, wouldn't use it.

QuoteI'm as likely to use mulatto as I am to use quadroon or octoroon.
So with your nicknames, there's a chance? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

No. It sounds silly. Or spanish

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

No need to repeat yourself.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2014, 10:13:24 PM
Brain would like that the party also had a discussion about the difference between zoophilia and bestiality, as well as the normality of fucking donkeys in parts of Colombia. :wacko:

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Syt

The last time I used the word mulatto was 25 years ago in geography class when we were talking about the colonization of the Americas, the different racial mixes that were created at the time and how it led to discrimination.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Syt on December 11, 2014, 03:02:36 AM
The last time I used the word mulatto was 25 years ago in geography class when we were talking about the colonization of the Americas, the different racial mixes that were created at the time and how it led to discrimination.

Yes, I would not use the word unless discussing Latin America (especially in colonial times), then, like mestizo, it could easily be useful. That conversation has not happened yet.

celedhring

I don't ever use it in Spanish, rather use "mestizo" if somehow the topic creeps up, since at least it's not a word derived from cattle. Several Cuban friends use it quite proudly to refer to themselves, but I guess it's one of those "reclaim the word" thingies that I really don't get.

And I think the only time I ever use it in English is when singing along "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

katmai

Is it anything like a muffuletta? :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2014, 12:50:22 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on December 11, 2014, 12:30:36 AM
It is still spoken parlance with many people I know.

Yeah, I think it's more of a southern thing these days.  Imagine that.
Down here I never hear 'mulatto', but I do hear 'mixed' on occasion.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

"Down here", with allusion to being a Southern place, is unforgivable presumption when referring to Kentucky. That state which, after much dithering, so tepidly embraced the war for independence and furnished so many sons for the conquest of the proper South, is in no way fit for the considerable prestige that comes with being a Southern state.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

:rolleyes: Remember, I used to live in New England.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

I don't use it no. I try to not desginate people by their skin colors.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.