Nope
27 (56.3%)
THAT'S RACISS
3 (6.3%)
I'm from outside of North America and that's normal speech, blackie
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

garbon

I was just at a holiday party (as a +1 to a friend's party) and had, as it happens, several occurrences of being asked my background / where I'm from. More than a few times when I explained, I got back "Oh so you're mulatto" to which I smiled my assent. One of the people was a black woman who then said, "Oh are we allowed to say that now?"

I realized that while I don't necessarily take issue with the term, it does feel dated / I don't use it personally as it makes me feel like a black person using slave terms.

What say you, Languish?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

"Oh, you're high yellow."  So there's worse, I guess.

I wouldn't say mulatto.  It is dated, and sounds like a fucking desert.

sbr

That word always reminds me of ice cream for some reason.

Two scoops of Mulatto in a waffle come please.

mongers

Good grief, that's an old term.

Using it almost make someone sound like their talking about horse breeds rather than people, to my ear it has overtones of a slave owners talking about their chattels.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I'm as likely to use mulatto as I am to use quadroon or octoroon.

garbon

Brain would like that the party also had a discussion about the difference between zoophilia and bestiality, as well as the normality of fucking donkeys in parts of Colombia. :wacko:

derspiess

When my sister in law got knocked up by a black dude she was all excited she was gonna have a 'mulatito'.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2014, 10:15:20 PM
Is there a difference?

From wiki (/that was my question):

QuoteSome zoophiles and researchers draw a distinction between "zoophilia" and "bestiality", using the former to describe the desire to form sexual relationships with animals, and the latter to describe the sex acts alone.

Valmy

Used to, I had no idea it was anything but a neutral term.  So now I just use 'mixed-race' which is vague but it is the best we have I guess. 

I think we should use all the old Spanish Caste terms.  White people can now be 'Creoles'.  Or maybe not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Don't use the term... it seems pretty dated, yeah.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

You sounded taller on the radio.