THAT'S RACISS
3 (6.3%)
I'm from outside of North America and that's normal speech, blackie
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2014, 09:55:36 AM
Quote from: Brazen on December 11, 2014, 09:02:26 AM
My favourite mangled term I've heard from several US news outlets is "British African-Americans"  :lol:

Your black people are unsettling to the common American eye:  they have the accent, don't embrace gangsta culture and are therefore less threatening to white people.   It's like a nation full of Taye Diggs.

What about yardies?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on December 11, 2014, 10:11:27 AM
What about yardies?

They're not in the movies we see.  But I don't see how they're any different than Rastas, Jakes or any others of the bevy of delightfully exotic Caribbean types.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on December 11, 2014, 08:40:53 AM
Besides, black/white mixed race is just one of an infinite variety. I have friends who are all sorts of mixes of black/white/east Asian/south Asian etc.

Well we have centuries of slavery that led to this particular combo being of cultural importance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

My favourite mangled term I've heard from several US news outlets is "British African-Americans"  :lol:

For that large African-American expat community in Britain I hope.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on December 11, 2014, 10:11:27 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2014, 09:55:36 AM

Your black people are unsettling to the common American eye:  they have the accent, don't embrace gangsta culture and are therefore less threatening to white people.   It's like a nation full of Taye Diggs.

What about yardies?

Only in reference to the Octagon. Not the Octaroon.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

no, never used the term.  I also rarely make a distinction on one's origin based on his/her skin colour.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2014, 10:51:05 AM
no, never used the term.  I also rarely make a distinction on one's origin based on his/her skin colour.

I think it isn't so much about people caring about my race but trying to use it to fit me in culturally - as they first step to me thinking that I'm Middle Eastern or Indian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Chief Bitchy Purple Hair.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on December 11, 2014, 10:59:36 AM
Chief Bitchy Purple Hair.

Most people find it shocking that I used to dye my hair. Damn you corporate world! *shakes fist* :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 10, 2014, 10:04:34 PM
"Oh, you're high yellow."  So there's worse, I guess.

I wouldn't say mulatto.  It is dated, and sounds like a fucking desert.

I thought it was some flavor of ice cream that gays were fond of.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 11:06:11 AM
I thought it was some flavor of ice cream that gays were fond of.

Like any other dairy product: beaten and whipped, Cracka?   :mad: :mad: :mad:

garbon

I shouldn't be amazed, but I am still shocked how 11B extols ignorance as a virtue.

CountDeMoney

It's just not his world, garbon.  Not even his solar system. 

Martim Silva

Making a quick search, it seems that all this issue with 'Mulatto' is tightly linked with US-influenced 'anti-racist' ideologies that were recently created.

The word, after all, just meant one's heritage and nobody thought more or less of him/her because of that, with everyone living and letting live. It is just when the 'Anti-Racist' crowd joins the scene that the 'racist' accusations start to fly and the racial confrontations happen.

From the Brazilian viewpoint, we have this curious story, from 2007:

http://www.midiaindependente.org/pt/red/2007/05/382383.shtml

Where the coordinator of the 'Brazilian Mulatto Resistance', Aparecida Rodrigues Silva, sued for racial discrimination  the actress and Caritas representative Francis Jr, [who is black], because the black actress told her tht "mulattos do not exist, and that the word derives from 'mule'". Rodrigues also said Francis offended her, by saying that "mulattos are seen as sexual objects".

Francis Jr. replied that she "only asked if she knew the meaning of the word 'mulatto'", because she doesn't seem fit for a social movement to use the word, which she links to the sexual exploitation of the black slaves in Brazil.
"Mulatto comes from mule, which his how the masters treated the black women with whom they maintained sexual relations".

To this, the brazilian commenters note:

"The word mulatto does come from mule, but was not invented by slaveowners, it is far older and exists in the Portuguese and Spanish languages since the XVth century. It refers to the hybrid character of a gestantion, in this case between blacks and whites, like a mule is an hybrid between a horse and a donkey. The original meaning of the word was not to compare someone to a cargo beast, but to reinforce its hybridism.

(...)

What is sad is to note that, in this XXIst century, black people are becoming more racist and intolerant than whites. Not all of them, but those influenced by the "afro" ideology that is disseminated by the left-wing college left that comes from the USA, and which proclaims an identity feeling based upon race (they define themselves as 'blacks', such as the afrcans and dark-skinned brazlians, even that there is no cultural affinity between these ethnic groups). I understand that, for people who think like that, there is nothing more ignominious than the image of a Mulatto, since it his the material proof of the absence of racism, and thus the denial of all that in which they believe and proclaim".

Another commenter says:

"I have to agree with the previous poster when he refers, and well, to the use of the "black" or "african-descentent", or "african-american" terms, which were imported by the black movements in Brazil.

It was the black democrat US senator Jesse Jackson that, during a visit to Palácio do Planalto [Brazilian equivalent to the White House - ms], during the government of Presidente FHC [Fernando Henrique Cardoso], who asked the president that he created a "black middle class" similar to the one that exists in the US. And why did he proposed tht? Tht is the question: since in the country of the Yanks the interbreeding between slaves and whites did not occur in a way as generalized as over here, the population descentent from former slaves remained isolated in the Southern States or in ghettos in the major cities.

Our case is rather different, where most of the population, over 60%, is half-breed and has a darker sink and crisp hair, being the non-mixed blacks a miniority relative to the others. Yes, it is enough for someone to have a little crisped hair and a darker skin tone to be considered "black" by those movements".

Eddie Teach

Nothing wrong with the word, and it is more descriptive than "mixed race". That said, in areas with large Asian/Amerindian/Mideastern/etc populations, it'd be a bit cumbersome to come up with words for every permutation. I suspect this is the main reason the word is falling out of usage- there just aren't many areas left with major European and African populations but without significant representation from other races.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?