Nope
27 (56.3%)
THAT'S RACISS
3 (6.3%)
I'm from outside of North America and that's normal speech, blackie
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

garbon

Ugh, how did I manage to attract the attention of MSil and his crackpot posts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2014, 12:15:22 PM

He was having dinner with the Brazilian ambassador.

Martim Silva

Basically becasue your reality is so far removed from mine that your thread became fascinating. It's like reading things from an alien.

I won't lie, reading from the US languish posters is quite enlightening about the american mind (and also why I did not post on the CIA torture thread; Zanza summed up my feelings very well there)

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on December 11, 2014, 09:22:43 AM
You're weird, Grumbler  :huh:

Not being hopelessly caught up in bullshit rhetoric may very well seem weird to you, but, in the first world, it isn't considered weird.

Quote"Pure black" means those people had no ancestors from any race other than black ones in millennia, which is the case here - often I have to (try to) give indications of routes to immigrants who just arrived at the airport from the Congo/Deep Angola, who can't speak european languages and are quite lost over here (we have to use gestures to make ourselves barely understood).

This is bullshit rhetoric.  First, there is only one race, the human race.  All the rainbow "races" are just social constructs; there is no biological basis for "races' within homo sapiens.  Second, you cannot possibly trace the ancestry of anyone reliably back for "millennia," so one could not possibly distinguish your bullshit "pure black" from anyone else based on "millennia" of "ancestors."  Your communications problems have nothing to do with how "pure" the "blackness" is in you or the person you are trying to communicate with; you'd have the same problem with anyone who was from an isolated non-European culture.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

LOL, "pure black".  I'm a fan of matte black myself.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martim Silva

Quote from: grumbler on December 11, 2014, 01:18:25 PM
Quote from: Martim Silva on December 11, 2014, 09:22:43 AM
You're weird, Grumbler  :huh:

Not being hopelessly caught up in bullshit rhetoric may very well seem weird to you, but, in the first world, it isn't considered weird.

That sentence could earn a prize in the "most pathetic attempt at trolling" category.

Quote from: grumbler
This is bullshit rhetoric.  First, there is only one race, the human race.  All the rainbow "races" are just social constructs; there is no biological basis for "races' within homo sapiens.  Second, you cannot possibly trace the ancestry of anyone reliably back for "millennia," so one could not possibly distinguish your bullshit "pure black" from anyone else based on "millennia" of "ancestors."  Your communications problems have nothing to do with how "pure" the "blackness" is in you or the person you are trying to communicate with; you'd have the same problem with anyone who was from an isolated non-European culture.

Wow, you're really bent on using those silly sociological arguments to argue?  :lol:

In my days (and surely yours), Humans were a Species, which was then split into a subspecies (to which Homo Sapiens Sapiens -us - belonged to) and then races (mongoloid, caucasoid and negroid) and later into subraces.

Lately, it became fashion to eliminate the "subspecies" and call it a "race". Which is why we now see space games call alien species "races", which is downright absurd.

Debating the workings of a political system that changes the definition of "race" at will is pretty much pointless, as is arguing with people that actually believe that garbage.

After all, if it was all "social constructs", it would not be possible to use blood samples to determine the genetic makeup of populations, nor to tell with full accuracy a person's racial heritage. But since it is possible to do so, there are clear genetic differences between Human populations.

That said, if you really can't tell the geographical origins of a literally charcoal-black person with full negroid features that is speaking an african language from a Chinese or from an Hungarian, and really beleve there are zero genetic differences between them, I - and everyone else outside the PC sphere - can only shake my head and let you wonder around your LaLa land.

For the record, everytime I am around a multiracial environment, everyone just accepts their racial differences and we roll with it - we accept that the Chinese dude doesn't want to drink too much, as they cannot resist alcohol as well as other races, for example, and don't force him to drink - and get along nicely.

It's only when the "zomg we are all alike" lunatics arrive and insist we follow whatever they percieve as being "racially correct" attitudes that things turn sour.

garbon

Quote from: Martim Silva on December 11, 2014, 01:31:27 PM
let you wonder around your LaLa land.

What does Los Angeles have to do with this? :unsure:

Sheilbh

This does make me wonder quite how acceptable 'mulatto' really is in the Lusosphere for its objects :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Martim Silva on December 11, 2014, 01:31:27 PM
I - and everyone else outside the PC sphere - can only shake my head and let you wonder around your LaLa land.

This is probably the best policy.  I have my religion, others have theirs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Barrister

I really gotta disagree with Martim's notion that the races get along just fine in Brazil, and it's only those problematic left-wing american ideas that have brought the notion of racism into a country where it never existed.

It's a very diverse country, almost the same size as the US, and it was a country also very much affected by a history of slavery (and went on even longer than in the US).  Yes, there has been more "mixing" of the races than in the US, but it's no accident that the elites in Brazil are very light-skinned, while those who live in the favelas have very dark skin...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2014, 02:12:07 PM
but it's no accident that the elites in Brazil are very light-skinned, while those who live in the favelas have very dark skin...

And that's awfully unique to Brazil.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Brazen on December 11, 2014, 09:23:53 AM
In his Mongrel Nation series about the immigrant origins of everyone in the UK, Eddie Izzard found that in the 17th or 18th Century something like 15% of all Londoners were black. Having reached the city as sailors and made good money en route, their offspring reached the highest echelons of society, including doctors and lawyers. By the Victorian era, black Londoners were all but non-existent. The expert Eddie talked too said that as there are no records of them having left the country, chances were they had bred into the general populace, meaning we are all now a little bit black.

Now that is interesting.  I had heard about Black English and French during the 17th and 18th century.  I wondered what happened to them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Martim Silva on December 11, 2014, 12:48:29 PM

Basically becasue your reality is so far removed from mine that your thread became fascinating. It's like reading things from an alien.

I won't lie, reading from the US languish posters is quite enlightening about the american mind (and also why I did not post on the CIA torture thread; Zanza summed up my feelings very well there)

Yet I post something a thread about Angola and you miss it entirely.  The sad truth of that thread is Grumbler probably has just the book I'm looking for but he won't tell me because he's cruel. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017