News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Thread About US Politics

Started by Jacob, November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

I tend to think of justice as a balance between mercy and vengeance.

Ideologue

Justice is whatever increases human happiness the most. Mercy is one of its expressions, to be used if the case is right.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 06:56:23 PM
Justice is whatever increases human happiness the most.

If only the Justice Dept knew that. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 02:23:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 02:21:24 PM
I respectfully disagree as to the first assertion.

Sorry, that was an incomplete sentence.  It should have read, "The guy gets plenty of sex compared to me."  :P

As long as each of you has one functional hand, you should both  be able to get all the sex you want.  Sexual partners, though, are a different story.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2014, 07:09:13 PM
Who calls masturbation, sex?

Can't really consider someone who masturbates a lot asexual.

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 19, 2014, 07:10:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2014, 07:09:13 PM
Who calls masturbation, sex?

Can't really consider someone who masturbates a lot asexual.

Of course not. But then I wouldn't define asexuality on that basis but rather on the extent to which they have a sex drive.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

So, American languishites, what's your take on the current immigration enforcement executive order?

Did Obama overreach in a heinous fashion, undermining the governance of the very Republic?

What are the Republicans' options? What will they actually do?

How is the American public responding?

Berkut

Hang on, let me go check Fox News and I will get back to you on my opinion...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I thought he overreached.  I would love a nice, clean Supreme Court case to determine if he did or not.

The Minsky Moment

Immigration is "special" in certain ways.  The power to control immigration (as opposed to naturalization) is not enumerated in the Constitution.  Nor is it based on the Commerce power.  Historically, the constitutional power to regulate immigration has been based on inherent powers of a sovereign, and the Supreme Court has sometimes characterized this as an executive function that forms part of inherent Article II presidential powers, that may in some cases be exercised even without explicit grants of authority from Congress.  In addition, the immigration laws - namely the INA - also give very broad grants of discretion to the Executive.

The upshot is that executive power is near its zenith in the immigration context.  [BTW I don't view that as a particularly good thing or even a proper constitutional interpretation, but as a matter of reality that ship long since sailed]. Given that the announcement seems to be a declaration of prosecutorial discretion, albeit a very broad and consequential one, it seems to be within the President's legal power. 

Whether it is good policy is another question, and for my 2c the GOP would be better served focusing on that avenue attack, rather than tangling themselves in legalisms that could be used as precedent to limit future hypothetical GOP presidents.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

The issuance of work permits seems to go a bit further than opting not to prosecute immigration offenders.

grumbler

I agree that the case is an interesting one, and is at the outer limits of what I consider executive authority, but also that the actual executive order was pretty well-crafted to not exceed that authority.  The Republican criticisms that I have heard are mostly daft, simplistic and false assertions that "a year ago the President said he didn't have this power" when the question a year ago was different than the current one.  The vague Republican threats that they will actually pass legislation to retaliate against this executive order are somewhat promising in that they imply that the Republicans might actually care about doing something constructive rather than destructive (unless their eventually-chosen solution is to just defund the government).  Seeing a Republican immigration bill or policy would be a novel experience and good for the country.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2014, 03:29:42 PM
The issuance of work permits seems to go a bit further than opting not to prosecute immigration offenders.

But isn't issuing/ not issuing permits of whatever kind, within the bounds of the law, exactly what the executive is supposed to do?