And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 05:33:50 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2014, 05:11:49 PM
Which the most famous designers routinely break.
Yeah. But it's like Picasso - prove you can draw first :P

Sure you want this settled by judge Colt and his jury of six, pardner?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 05:38:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2014, 05:34:18 PM
And I'm pretty sure nobody has said "I don't care that you landed a probe on a comet" in discussing this.
I sort of would. Whenever I think about it I think it's a really impressive, mind-blowing achievement that I personally don't care about at all :blush:

It's a good job the acquisition of scientific knowledge isn't a matter of taste.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2014, 03:31:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2014, 02:50:43 PM
QuotePuritan
[pyoo r-i-tn]  Spell  Syllables
Word Origin
noun
1. anyone obsessed by the fear that someone, somewhere, somehow, is having fun.

http://dicktionary.reference.com/browse/puritan

My only commentary was sartorial - that a man going for an interview on tv ought to wear a shirt and tie (or something roughly equivalent).  That doesn't strike me as being a particularly high or onerous bar.  It's simply a standard look for a man trying to present a base level of professional competence.

The guy was having fun, and was celebrating by wearing a shirt made for the occasion by a friend of his.  You have a problem with this, because his dress sense doesn't match yours (Berkut and Tamas have the same problem).  I'm totally okay with that, as long as you guys are honest enough to admit that your preference for being buttoned down rather than fun is just a preference.  Tamas insisting that the guy is an asshole for disagreeing with Tamas's dress sense is a much more extreme position than your or Berkut's, and I don't associate you two guys with that laughable argument.

No, my issue has nothing to do with "dress sense", just with basic empathy with others. I don't think he was a dick because he was not dressed up enough, I think he was a dick for wearing a shirt with graphics that most reasonable people would recognize as very likely offensive to some people to work.

I think it is in poor taste and shows a disregard for your co-workers, and in such a way that it is likely to make some of them uncomfortable. If I was his boss I would quietly tell him that his dress was not appropriate for work for that reason alone.

Hell, my first post-college job was at Hewlett Packard where the dress code was "don't let any part of your naught bits show". People literally came to work dressed in togas. At least, I thought it was a toga. I loved it.

But I would not go to work at HP (were, btw, there were lots and lots of women working in a variety of STEM roles) wearing a shirt like that, because I think it is a pretty crude thing to do, and if one of my co-workers wore one, I would think they were rather crude.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Berkut

See, I think this is pretty funny, for example:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2010/9/17/13/jesus-fucking-christ-18068-1284743805-17.jpg

But I think it would be in poor taste to wear it on a shirt to work, because there are people I know would find it offensive. And I don't think offending my co-workers is a very nice thing to do.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Oh, and I don't give two shits about how accomplished he is - he might be a genius, but that doesn't mean that he isn't being kind of a dick, if he does something kind of dick-like that I would consider non-geniuses to be kind of a dick over.

He can be a super accmplished genius AND kind of a dick.

0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

I think it's more likely he was being utterly naive.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on November 18, 2014, 03:21:42 PM
I dress up for any public-facing events when I'm representing my company. Doesn't everyone?

Yes that is the point that Seedy and most everyone else has been making. 

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 04:38:37 PM
When you represent your team/company/family on an official occasion, or to a wide public (lets say, the whole fucking world), ....
Wait.  Some guy from a website called "the Verge" is "the whole fucking world?"  WTF?

This is some dude being casually interviewed in his workspace by some unknown dude from an unknown web site.  This wasn't the BBC interviewing the head of the ESA.  There was nothing "official" about this interview and the dude wasn't a spokesman for anything but himself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 04:57:46 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 18, 2014, 04:42:47 PM
Wow, Tampax has a vagina. Makes sense I guess.

I am being attacked by a bunch of nerds for thinking that for a few days in your life, you need to change out of your slippers and shorts.  Makes sense I guess.
You are being attacked for a puritan view of what people should wear in their workplace, and for calling the guy an asshole for wearing a "lucky shirt" (which was tacky, no question about it, but that's a matter of fashion sense and not assholiness) on his big day at work.  Makes complete sense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2014, 05:41:40 PM
No, my issue has nothing to do with "dress sense", just with basic empathy with others. I don't think he was a dick because he was not dressed up enough, I think he was a dick for wearing a shirt with graphics that most reasonable people would recognize as very likely offensive to some people to work.

Most people don't work where he works.  I haven't heard any complaints from anyone who works with him, just complaints from people who don't even know him, or what people normally wear where he works.

QuoteI think it is in poor taste and shows a disregard for your co-workers, and in such a way that it is likely to make some of them uncomfortable. If I was his boss I would quietly tell him that his dress was not appropriate for work for that reason alone.

Hell, my first post-college job was at Hewlett Packard where the dress code was "don't let any part of your naught bits show". People literally came to work dressed in togas. At least, I thought it was a toga. I loved it.

Most people would be offended if their co-workers showed up in togas.  Your co-workers showed disrespect to co-workers, and you loved it.  Okay.  Extend that courtesy to others.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2014, 05:47:37 PM
I think it's more likely he was being utterly naive.

Exactly.  And he wasn't being interviewed as a spokesman for anything, and he wasn't being interviewed by anyone from the actal media.  He was being interviewed by some guy on the internet, likely because the guy on the internet heard that he was a real character, and so worth interviewing vice the actual ESA spokespeople being interviewed by the actual media.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2014, 06:43:07 PM
Wait.  Some guy from a website called "the Verge" is "the whole fucking world?"  WTF?

Exactly. Nobody else was interested in TV coverage of the event, apart from the Verge journalist.

Weak, man. Very weak.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2014, 05:43:09 PM
Martinus wears a cape of dicks.

That's only partially true.  It's made of foreskins he gets from the hospital.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017