Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2014, 03:31:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2014, 02:50:43 PM
QuotePuritan
[pyoo r-i-tn]  Spell  Syllables
Word Origin
noun
1. anyone obsessed by the fear that someone, somewhere, somehow, is having fun.

http://dicktionary.reference.com/browse/puritan

My only commentary was sartorial - that a man going for an interview on tv ought to wear a shirt and tie (or something roughly equivalent).  That doesn't strike me as being a particularly high or onerous bar.  It's simply a standard look for a man trying to present a base level of professional competence.

The guy was having fun, and was celebrating by wearing a shirt made for the occasion by a friend of his.  You have a problem with this, because his dress sense doesn't match yours (Berkut and Tamas have the same problem).  I'm totally okay with that, as long as you guys are honest enough to admit that your preference for being buttoned down rather than fun is just a preference.  Tamas insisting that the guy is an asshole for disagreeing with Tamas's dress sense is a much more extreme position than your or Berkut's, and I don't associate you two guys with that laughable argument.

Its not my dress sense. My dress sense is the jeans and t-shirt like all other IT nerds' It is about the socially accepted dressing sense in situations where it is not just you being judged by how you dress, and the implication of disrespect to those others involved in the situation with you. Not complicated really.

Syt

Meanwhile in Australia, the female host of a daily program gets criticized for her outfits, whereas her male counterpart ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4it1k5OP9Q

QuoteKarl Stefanovic has worn the same suit most days on the Australian Today program for about a year.

The show's co-host is frustrated at how women on television are judged compared to men, because of what they say or wear.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 03:36:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2014, 03:31:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2014, 02:50:43 PM
QuotePuritan
[pyoo r-i-tn]  Spell  Syllables
Word Origin
noun
1. anyone obsessed by the fear that someone, somewhere, somehow, is having fun.

http://dicktionary.reference.com/browse/puritan

My only commentary was sartorial - that a man going for an interview on tv ought to wear a shirt and tie (or something roughly equivalent).  That doesn't strike me as being a particularly high or onerous bar.  It's simply a standard look for a man trying to present a base level of professional competence.

The guy was having fun, and was celebrating by wearing a shirt made for the occasion by a friend of his.  You have a problem with this, because his dress sense doesn't match yours (Berkut and Tamas have the same problem).  I'm totally okay with that, as long as you guys are honest enough to admit that your preference for being buttoned down rather than fun is just a preference.  Tamas insisting that the guy is an asshole for disagreeing with Tamas's dress sense is a much more extreme position than your or Berkut's, and I don't associate you two guys with that laughable argument.

Its not my dress sense. My dress sense is the jeans and t-shirt like all other IT nerds' It is about the socially accepted dressing sense in situations where it is not just you being judged by how you dress, and the implication of disrespect to those others involved in the situation with you. Not complicated really.

For the sake of politeness, I'll assume your plucking this out of thin air rather than somewhere else.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

When you represent your team/company/family on an official occasion, or to a wide public (lets say, the whole fucking world), maybe even with just your presence, it is customary to express that you actually care about it. One of the easiest ways to express this is that you don't dress into something totally inappropriate.

Please try to understand: this is not a cry against people expressing their individuality via clothing. It is just pointing out that there are situations in life, where going just a bit more formal (and this guy's case, a not totally in-your face shirt would have sufficed) shows respect to people involved in a social situation.

The Brain

Wow, Tampax has a vagina. Makes sense I guess.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 04:38:37 PM
Please try to understand: this is not a cry against people expressing their individuality via clothing.
Speak for yourself.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on November 18, 2014, 04:42:47 PM
Wow, Tampax has a vagina. Makes sense I guess.

I am being attacked by a bunch of nerds for thinking that for a few days in your life, you need to change out of your slippers and shorts.  Makes sense I guess.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 04:50:09 PM
Please try to understand: this is not a cry against people expressing their individuality via clothing.
Speak for yourself.

A gay person who hates fashion? Now I've seen it all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2014, 05:04:58 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 04:50:09 PM
Speak for yourself.

A gay person who hates fashion? Now I've seen it all.
I love fashion. Most of fashion's about rules :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Which the most famous designers routinely break.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

When you represent your team/company/family on an official occasion, or to a wide public (lets say, the whole fucking world), maybe even with just your presence, it is customary to express that you actually care about it. One of the easiest ways to express this is that you don't dress into something totally inappropriate.

Care about what

His team? They apparently had no problem with that.

The public? Why should he care about them?

What I find infuriating is some loser bitch who did not accomplish anything besides writing a shitty blog goes on how "I don't care that you landed a probe on a comet" and there are people who do not find that attitude preposterous.

The Brain

Bet her comet is colder than the one someone actually bothered to land on.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2014, 05:11:49 PM
Which the most famous designers routinely break.
Yeah. But it's like Picasso - prove you can draw first :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 05:22:06 PM

Care about what

His team? They apparently had no problem with that.

The public? Why should he care about them?

What I find infuriating is some loser bitch who did not accomplish anything besides writing a shitty blog goes on how "I don't care that you landed a probe on a comet" and there are people who do not find that attitude preposterous.

Well the public are the ones who paid to put that probe on the comet in the first place, since this was an ESA probe to begin with.

And I'm pretty sure nobody has said "I don't care that you landed a probe on a comet" in discussing this.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2014, 05:34:18 PM
And I'm pretty sure nobody has said "I don't care that you landed a probe on a comet" in discussing this.
I sort of would. Whenever I think about it I think it's a really impressive, mind-blowing achievement that I personally don't care about at all :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!