Ubik commited to mental institution, tries to sue everyone

Started by Martim Silva, November 05, 2014, 10:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martim Silva on November 06, 2014, 05:20:07 PM
Indeed.

If you admit you're crazy, you're crazy.

If you say you're not, you're a crazyman in denial.

That's a... Paradox, I think  :hmm:

Catch 22.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2014, 06:36:06 PM
QuoteUnder the doses of Carbamazepine, Olanzapin, Risperdal and Lrazepam,

Jesus.  Talk about being forced into a fog.  Or Capetan Mihali's usual late-afternoon wind-down cocktail.

Eh, I've taken two of those, and the another very similar one.  It's not so bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grallon

The guy always seemed high strung in his interventions.  But to be treated like that...  If he wasn't over the edge before this sure didn't help.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

This must be one of the slowest news days ever.  No person ever involuntarily committed to an asylum ever admitted that they neded to be committed; if they had, it wouldn't be involuntary.  That lazy news people chose to follow the "only sane man in the nuthouse" angle isn't surprising; it makes for more clicks than "crazy man gets treated like a crazy man."

I'm glad he got treated and, at least temporarily, cured.  Better to be sane and angry than insane and unaware of it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

In a world gone mad the one-eyed monster cash is king.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 07, 2014, 11:56:51 AM
This must be one of the slowest news days ever.  No person ever involuntarily committed to an asylum ever admitted that they neded to be committed; if they had, it wouldn't be involuntary.  That lazy news people chose to follow the "only sane man in the nuthouse" angle isn't surprising; it makes for more clicks than "crazy man gets treated like a crazy man."

I'm glad he got treated and, at least temporarily, cured.  Better to be sane and angry than insane and unaware of it.

Indeed.

I just spent two days in court with a lady with obvious mental health issues, including that she has been involuntarily hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital for periods of time.

But not according to her.  Indeed, much like Ubik here, she had long and lengthy complaints about how her family has treated her (not that it was at all relevant).  When asked about being hospitalized, all she would admit was a diagnosis for PTSD (and not the schizophrenia that was pretty obvious).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2014, 01:03:32 PM

Indeed.

I just spent two days in court with a lady with obvious mental health issues, including that she has been involuntarily hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital for periods of time.

But not according to her.  Indeed, much like Ubik here, she had long and lengthy complaints about how her family has treated her (not that it was at all relevant).  When asked about being hospitalized, all she would admit was a diagnosis for PTSD (and not the schizophrenia that was pretty obvious).

You make nothing of the fact that the court said he was right and his commitment was not valid? That's an odd attitude for a lawyer to take. I bet you think all people are guilty, especially those found innocent by the court. :P

Razgovory

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2014, 01:21:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2014, 01:03:32 PM

Indeed.

You make nothing of the fact that the court said he was right and his commitment was not valid? That's an odd attitude for a lawyer to take. I bet you think all people are guilty, especially those found innocent by the court. :P

Just because someone is found not guilty doesn't mean they were innocent.

Here, there is typically a high threshold to involuntarily commit someone to a mental hospital.  But just because that high threshold wasn't met here doesn't mean that Ubik is perfectly sane.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

There's a lot of area between perfectly sane and it's totally legit to strip his rights away rah rah law enforcement.

This was injustice. Pure and simple.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2014, 01:21:21 PM

Are you sure that that is actually what the court said?  hat's an odd conclusion for a lawyer to reach, given that the only "news" we have about a court decision is that, something like a year later, a court said that he was not, at that time, commitable.  I don't see anything authoritative that claims that the court ruled his previous "commitment was not valid."  I doubt that a court could even reach such a conclusion as a matter of fact.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 07, 2014, 04:26:33 PM
This was injustice. Pure and simple.

This is argument by unsupported assertion.  Pure and simple.

Bayraktar!