Ubik commited to mental institution, tries to sue everyone

Started by Martim Silva, November 05, 2014, 10:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2014, 02:12:48 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2014, 08:45:00 PMI'm curious what a high functioning paranoid schizophrenic would be like.  What sort of job do you envision him having?  Things like hallucinations tend to be deal breakers in most employment situations.

for one example, call center. high-functioning is high-functioning. there are paranoid schizophrenics who are able to have steady employment.

Actually, a job where you have to deal directly with customers on a constant basis is probably one that is least suitable for schizoprenics. But any job where you work, broadly, alone; can work from home; and requires creativity and expertise, could work. Of course as with most diseases there are people with more mild or more severe cases of it, so YMMV.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2014, 02:12:48 AM
for one example, call center. high-functioning is high-functioning. there are paranoid schizophrenics who are able to have steady employment.

Nope.  Speaking from firsthand experience, a call center gig is not a good gig for a schizophrenic.  There's a lot less isolation between workers in a call center, so when one person has a breakdown, it's hugely disruptive to the entire operation.

Net result of the situation I'm thinking of: the guy had to be fired, and for an afternoon, everybody was a little worried about going home because the guy in question started wandering around the parking lot, screaming at air.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Quote from: LaCroix on November 08, 2014, 12:46:19 PM
without more, i'm inclined to trust the neutral experts over a suspected (paranoid?) schizophrenic.
I don't know. I mean it's quite difficult to section someone here, but it used to be easier and perhaps a little more prone to mistake/abuse. That it can proceed without a doctor seeing him and, from what I can see, the medical evidence initially coming from an involved party (his sister(-in-law?)) is a bit dubious. It makes me wonder a little about the Portuguese system.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 09, 2014, 08:20:44 AM
Nope.  Speaking from firsthand experience, a call center gig is not a good gig for a schizophrenic.  There's a lot less isolation between workers in a call center, so when one person has a breakdown, it's hugely disruptive to the entire operation.

Net result of the situation I'm thinking of: the guy had to be fired, and for an afternoon, everybody was a little worried about going home because the guy in question started wandering around the parking lot, screaming at air.

You don't have to have an actual center to have people with jobs answering telephones though. A lot of those are turning into work-from-home deals.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 09, 2014, 08:55:16 AM
You don't have to have an actual center to have people with jobs answering telephones though. A lot of those are turning into work-from-home deals.

Sales calls, yeah.  Customer service call centers are with companies that are a bit paranoid about protecting "company information," though, so they prefer to keep call centers so that company information can stay on their own intranets.
Experience bij!

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2014, 06:04:46 AMActually, a job where you have to deal directly with customers on a constant basis is probably one that is least suitable for schizoprenics. But any job where you work, broadly, alone; can work from home; and requires creativity and expertise, could work. Of course as with most diseases there are people with more mild or more severe cases of it, so YMMV.

like your environmental law attorney, i know an attorney with paranoid schizophrenia who worked at one time for the FDIC. same result re: deterioration. if it can be identified early on, there's a better chance to convince the person to consent to treatment. if left untreated, continued deterioration that cripples professional careers is bound to happen. if it reaches the point where the person is simply unwilling to ever consent to treatment, and that person mostly keeps a normal life, then forcing involuntary treatment probably isn't warranted. the person isn't a danger to himself or others.

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 09, 2014, 08:20:44 AMNope.  Speaking from firsthand experience, a call center gig is not a good gig for a schizophrenic.  There's a lot less isolation between workers in a call center, so when one person has a breakdown, it's hugely disruptive to the entire operation.

speaking from first-hand experience, a call center is very possible for a schizophrenic. a schizophrenic who breaks down resulting in out of control screaming and ranting doesn't sound very high functioning.

LaCroix

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 09, 2014, 08:41:30 AMI don't know. I mean it's quite difficult to section someone here, but it used to be easier and perhaps a little more prone to mistake/abuse. That it can proceed without a doctor seeing him and, from what I can see, the medical evidence initially coming from an involved party (his sister(-in-law?)) is a bit dubious. It makes me wonder a little about the Portuguese system.

there are two hospitals involved, right? hospital B says ubik was diagnosed by hospital A, so hospital B relied on hospital A. and hospital A has not released any comments about the initial seizure/diagnosis. we don't know exactly what happened. given the unknowns, i'm willing to place more faith in the portuguese psychiatric system than assume it's incompetent and rely on the allegations of a suspected schizophrenic. that's what i was getting at in my earlier post.

Razgovory

The only high functioning schizophrenics are ones who take medication or the illness hasn't fully set in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2014, 12:40:51 PM
speaking from first-hand experience, a call center is very possible for a schizophrenic. a schizophrenic who breaks down resulting in out of control screaming and ranting doesn't sound very high functioning.

Dealing with the general public on a constant basis isn't easy even for many people without psychiatric problems;  I can't really believe that the stress involved could be a good thing for anyone who already has mental health issues.  And a call center might be even worse than, say, doing sales cold calls, because in a call center by definition you're dealing with people who have complaints.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2014, 01:54:54 PM
The only high functioning schizophrenics are ones who take medication or the illness hasn't fully set in.

there are different levels of any mental condition. look at OCD, bipolar disorder, and autism, for example. there are high functioning schizophrenics whose schizophrenia has fully set in and who don't take medication. not every unmedicated schizophrenic is rocking back and forth blabbering to himself.

Quote from: DPSDealing with the general public on a constant basis isn't easy even for many people without psychiatric problems;  I can't really believe that the stress involved could be a good thing for anyone who already has mental health issues.  And a call center might be even worse than, say, doing sales cold calls, because in a call center by definition you're dealing with people who have complaints.

people handle stress differently regardless of any mental condition. a highly stressful day for one schizophrenic could lead to ranting and raving at work, but for another schizophrenic it could mean he finds more conspiratorial connections that day. depending on the severity of schizophrenia, he might break or merely bend.

Razgovory

Yeah, that's not true.  For instance there is no such thing as high functioning catatonia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2014, 03:15:15 PM
Yeah, that's not true.  For instance there is no such thing as high functioning catatonia.

yes there is. if a schizophrenic (or autistic, or whatever) patient is found to show signs of catatonia, the catatonic symptoms may be less severe in one patient than another. catatonia is not always unresponsive immobilization. a schizophrenic with high functioning catatonia may (or may not) be employable, i don't know. but he very well could move about his home.

not every mental condition is the exact same. not every symptom has the exact same level of severity. some specific symptoms may have the same level of severity, but that doesn't mean they all do. you should know better than most here. not every schizoaffective person is the same. there are people who have the same types of symptoms as you, only those symptoms are more severe. others may have less severe symptoms. it's a spectrum, as with many (if not all) mental conditions.

Razgovory

Yeah, but we are talking about paranoid schizophrenia not "any schizoaffective disorder".  But you are right about one thing, you don't know.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2014, 04:31:14 PM
Yeah, but we are talking about paranoid schizophrenia not "any schizoaffective disorder".  But you are right about one thing, you don't know.

do you really believe every case of paranoid schizophrenia is the same? you mentioned hallucinations earlier. are you aware not every case of paranoid schizophrenia involves hallucinations? that's a hollywood myth. and, i'm pretty familiar with paranoid schizophrenia.

Eddie Teach

Remember, just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?