Ubik commited to mental institution, tries to sue everyone

Started by Martim Silva, November 05, 2014, 10:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

I really, REALLY wish I was making this up.

Sadly, I am not.  :(

http://www.publico.pt/sociedade/noticia/carlos-benavente-processa-medicos-que-o-internaram-a-forca-e-o-deram-como-louco-1675130

As you can check, this is one of our country's top newspapers. Also, if you google the title, you'll see it is on all our press. His photo is there, too.

It is in Portuguese, so I will translate:

Carlos Rodrigues [Gustavo, which you know as Ubik of Magna Mundi], the programmer that was forcibly committed during 71 days under the Mental Health Act, has decided to sue five of the doctors that were involved in several stages of his clinical process. The first criminal complaint was filed at the Oeiras Court on September 22nd. This is not the first time that compulsively committed people appeal to the courts against this kind of decision. The relatives, who ordered the commitment, defend that Carlos suffers from "delirious disturbances" and that doesn't want to treat himself.

Carlos Rodrigues, 42 years old, says he had never been to a psychiatrist in his whole life, that he never took any psychiatric medication and that, nevertheless, on October 13th last year, four police officers [PSP] knocked on his door to lead him to the hospital. They had with them a warrant. It was claimed that he was "carrier of a psychic anomaly", that his health condition had "deteriorated", that he represented a danger and refused treatment.

He ended up being committed for 71 days at the Psychiatric and Mental Health Department at the Egas Moniz Hospital in Lisbon, got medicated with injectable antipsychotics. He claims that his "professional life got ruined", that he got a depression because of the commitment and the medication, and that the stigma of his alleged madness will remain forever as a scar.

(...)

In the case of Carlos, it was his relatives, his parents, his brother and sister-in-law, who is a doctor, who asked for his commitment because they were convinced that he suffers from a mental illness of prolonged evolution. At the basis of this conviction by the relatives would be information that he supposedly put on the Internet, claims Carlos. So as the fact that in the family, his paternal grandfather, had been diagnosed with schizophrenia. The programmer adds that, at the time of his commitment, he had cut relations with his parents, precisely because they had been saying to his friends, underage daughter and professional contacts that he suffers from a mental illness, something that destroyed his credibility and brought him several problems at work.

His relatives, however, claim that Carlos suffers from "delirious ideas", "that he started to tape conversations with his family saying that they were harming him", that he was being watched with video surveillance cameras, and considering "his father as the main culprit of the conspiracy", says the report about his case, made by the Psychiatric Center of Lisbon, which took part in the process of compulsive internment and was appreciated at the Criminal Court of Lisbon. The family tried, for several times, to take him to the psychiatrist and Carlos did not accept, said the relatives.

Carlos has now moved a lawsuit against the doctors, because he claims to have been commited unfairly and that he does not suffer from any mental problem. He especially denies "a clinical information" that was at the origin of his commitment, that was asked by his relatives and is signed by a intern in psychiatrics (still in her graduation period). In the note, the then intern says that the information that was passed to her was given to the intern by the relatives and by the sister-in-law, "worthy of credibility", because it was her "colleague", as it is written in the clinical information of October 11th, 2013, to which the PUBLICO had access.

In the clinical information, even though she never saw him, the doctor takes as granted that Carlos suffers from "delirious perturbances with a long evolution period". She makes reference to his social isolation and severance of his ties with his family. At his first psychiatric evaluation, at the Urgencies of the Hospital S. José, to where he was taken by the police, another doctor wrote that Carlos suffers from "persistant delusional psychosis". Carlos claims that this doctor barely spoke with him, read the clinical information of the other doctor and took informations only near his relatives

Pedro Silva Lopes, Carlo's lawyer, that, for the first time, exposed the case in an opinion article in PUBLICO, says that the document which was the basis of the commitment was requested by him since the beguinning, but was "intentionally hidden during six months" by the hospital. Only on April 9th this year, already after the patient had had leave from the hospital, was the paper given to him. The psychiatrist in question works at the Hospital Egas Moniz, where Carlos was committed.

Carlos Rodrigues asks: "How can you pass a paper saying that a person is a complete looney without having seen him? There are no reports of any misbehaviour".  Carlos Rodrigues claims to have a programming company that recieves european funding and that several deals were lost due to the commitment and the strong antipsychotic medication to which he was forcibly subjected to, besides the fact that he became stymgatized. "This will be with me for the rest of my life. If I have a problem in the bone of my leg and the wrong leg is cut off, I will complain, but an alleged mental patient doesn't have credibility for anything."

Admiral Yi

LaCroix

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 10:36:42 PM
Is this the same dude who posted here a couple times?

That he is.  Dude was part of a team that made a mod for... EU3, I think?  They were going to make it into a standalone game with Paradox's support and then things went south when he couldn't keep his mouth shut and couldn't resist taking potshots at the Paradox team, blaming them for everything that was wrong with his own team's development.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Man that's really unfortunate. I hate to see people go out like that. He's right that they fucked his life over. Maybe there is a better way to handle this stuff.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2014, 11:32:16 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 05, 2014, 11:22:52 PM
He's right that they fucked his life over.

How so?

Getting him branded as crazy and ruining his chances of having a normal life.

Granted...maybe he is. But if he isn't, the damage is done.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 05, 2014, 11:39:51 PM

How so?

Is it really that damaging to get branded as crazy on the p'dox boards? I mean I guess the drama unfolded further but that was in large par his own making. Besides, if you can't make it in a small subset of the gaming industry - your chances of having a normal life are ruined? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

The health care professionals know their shit. If they lock you up for 71 days it's not frivolous. These people have budgets and limited resources, they are not going to waste them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Man that's really unfortunate. I hate to see people go out like that. He's right that they fucked his life over. Maybe there is a better way to handle this stuff.

Schizophrenia is a hell of a disease.  There is no easy way to deal with it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2014, 12:19:02 AM

This I know. Unfortunately.

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2014, 12:05:53 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 05, 2014, 11:39:51 PM

How so?

Is it really that damaging to get branded as crazy on the p'dox boards? I mean I guess the drama unfolded further but that was in large par his own making. Besides, if you can't make it in a small subset of the gaming industry - your chances of having a normal life are ruined? :yeahright:

We're not talking about what is posted on the Paradox forums.  We're talking about being involuntarily confined for 2 1/2 months, and potential employers thinking that you're a nutjob.

Granted, I take his claims that he had no mental health problems and that it was just a matter of his family and doctors screwing him over with a grain of salt.  His family might have had ulterior motive (or simply been wrong about his mental state), but it's harder to credibly think that about the doctors.  And while I have no idea what the situation is in Portugal, in the US it's almost impossible to get someone involuntarily committed unless they are very clearly a danger to themselves or others.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2014, 12:19:02 AM

Yeah, it sucks.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on November 06, 2014, 01:48:13 AMin the US it's almost impossible to get someone involuntarily committed unless they are very clearly a danger to themselves or others.

Yeah right. That's not what I've seen in all those movies. :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 10:36:42 PM
Is this the same dude who posted here a couple times?

Yeah, now I remember him.  Didn't know he was nuts.  I thought he was just... well maybe... yeah I guess he was just nuts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017