Berkely students petition to stop Bill Maher from delivering commencement addres

Started by Josephus, October 27, 2014, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Funny how the tables have turned on this guy, mostly from one show, though he's been consistent about his belief that all Muslims are bad.
It's based on a recent Real Time episode with Ben Affleck as a guest who showed complete disdain for Maher after Maher said somethign to the effect that Islam is inherently evil.

I just find it ironic because Maher is always hailed as a liberal and leftie.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/27/uc_berkeley_students_are_petitioning_against_bill_maher_as_commencement_speaker
as usual by the way....the comments are more interesting than the article.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Yeah, I saw a bit of that show.  I thought he was being ironic trying to out Colbert Colbert.  Instead he was serious and out did anything Fox might put on the air.  Affleck was clearly furious.  Afflect tried to explain why the Grallonist view of the world was daft but then just started staring at Maher in disbelief.

Josephus

That wasn't the first time Maher said that so I knew he was serious. It's his next big thing after bashing Republicans and Fox.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

He's a like Viking and has contempt for all religion, and like many in the "New Atheist" movement he has sort of piggy-packed on Islamophobia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

citizen k

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2014, 06:12:19 PM
Yeah, I saw a bit of that show.  I thought he was being ironic trying to out Colbert Colbert.  Instead he was serious and out did anything Fox might put on the air.  Affleck was clearly furious.  Afflect tried to explain why the Grallonist view of the world was daft but then just started staring at Maher in disbelief.

Affleck thought criticism of Islam was racist.  :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: citizen k on October 27, 2014, 06:32:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2014, 06:12:19 PM

Affleck thought criticism of Islam was racist.  :rolleyes:

Ah no.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2014, 06:06:45 PM

He is vehemently anti-religious, in all its forms.  Just so happens that Islam is the latest one that smites thee in His Mercy. Insha'allah.

Eddie Teach

It's more ironic that other supposed liberals turn a blind eye when Muslims are involved.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 27, 2014, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2014, 06:06:45 PM

He is vehemently anti-religious, in all its forms.  Just so happens that Islam is the latest one that smites thee in His Mercy. Insha'allah.

I think he's vastly misunderstood, and mostly has been turned into a Left icon by Fox. For instance, he's quite pro-Israel--although that may have something to do with the peeps Israel is fighting.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

The difference between Maher and other so-called liberals, is that the liberals see a difference between Islam and Islamism. Maher does not. Even on the most recent episode he brought it up again and argued, again, against the liberal argument that "the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful."
Civis Romanus Sum