Berkely students petition to stop Bill Maher from delivering commencement addres

Started by Josephus, October 27, 2014, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

In the mid 90s he seemed like a garden variety libertarian.  But some time around Clinton's second term he moved a bit to the left.  I'd call him a left libertarian and I don't see how it's so far off to call him a leftist.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 27, 2014, 09:38:13 PM
In the mid 90s he seemed like a garden variety libertarian.  But some time around Clinton's second term he moved a bit to the left.  I'd call him a left libertarian and I don't see how it's so far off to call him a leftist.

He was liberal who liked to smoke pot and wanted to feel extra special by not being boxed in by your stifling labels, man.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 09:31:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 09:22:51 PM
Well, what was the point in mentioning that he doesn't reserve his scorn for just Islam?

Just that this is the kind of thing one would expect from him.

QuoteAs to your other point, well doesn't mean that everyone is paying attention / there have been a lot of people who have grown up in the last 20 years.

People were paying attention.  Just they didn't care until now.  Sensitivity to saying bad things against Islam is high on the left now since the Right is doing it.  If the Right loved Islam those Berkeley students would be laughing with him.

Now you are just being absurd. How in the hell could most of those Berkeley students been paying attention in the last 2 decades? Many haven't even been alive for 2 decades let alone caring about Bill Maher.

Personally, I can't really say anything about him other than a general impression that he is an ass. Never watched anything he has done, never had any interest.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 09:34:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 09:31:37 PM

People were paying attention.  Just they didn't care until now.  Sensitivity to saying bad things against Islam is high on the left now since the Right is doing it.  If the Right loved Islam those Berkeley students would be laughing with him.

Well, I'm glad at least someone is standing up to it.

Indeed.  I just wish people would be more self aware about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 09:48:59 PM
Now you are just being absurd. How in the hell could most of those Berkeley students been paying attention in the last 2 decades? Many haven't even been alive for 2 decades let alone caring about Bill Maher.

Nonsense, he has been a well known comedian for years.

QuotePersonally, I can't really say anything about him other than a general impression that he is an ass. Never watched anything he has done, never had any interest.

That is a good impression he is a bit of an ass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 09:53:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 09:48:59 PM

Nonsense, he has been a well known comedian for years.

That hardly means that many people pay attention, particularly among the younger set. There are lots of well known people out there - more than one person could reasonably pay attention to.

Maher is one that I have set on ignore and before this, I couldn't tell you one stance that he takes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Maher's politics and personal hatreds aren't the reason he's a lousy comic, it's that being a smug, condescending son of bitch isn't particularly funny.  Turning on his show is like having Grumbler come over to your house and insult your cooking for an hour.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 10:00:09 PM
Maher's politics and personal hatreds aren't the reason he's a lousy comic, it's that being a smug, condescending son of bitch isn't particularly funny.  Turning on his show is like having Grumbler come over to your house and insult your cooking for an hour.

I like smug condescending son of a bitch humor.  Must be why I like it here.  Anyway it is like a Viking-Grumbler hybrid coming over...only wittier.

Ed Anger

Raz: I made Lasagna...
Grumbles: WHOOSH
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 09:57:06 PM
That hardly means that many people pay attention, particularly among the younger set. There are lots of well known people out there - more than one person could reasonably pay attention to.

He was well known to be invited to speak at Berkeley's commencement.  And the Younger set is ignorant of HBO comic shows?  They would at least see it on reddit.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 27, 2014, 10:03:17 PM

:lol:

dps

I'd call him a left libertarian and I don't see how it's so far off to call him a leftist.

I guess I don't consider him a leftist because most of the people I think of as leftists are not at all libertarian.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 27, 2014, 10:03:17 PM

:lol:

Admiral Yi

KRonn

Quote from: dps on October 27, 2014, 10:05:32 PM
I'd call him a left libertarian and I don't see how it's so far off to call him a leftist.

I guess I don't consider him a leftist because most of the people I think of as leftists are not at all libertarian.

I used to watch his show but it's been years since I tuned in for more than a couple minutes. I also used to think of him as a lefty but he's more like all over the place politically.