Berkely students petition to stop Bill Maher from delivering commencement addres

Started by Josephus, October 27, 2014, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 30, 2014, 02:29:04 AM
I thought it was Malaclypse the Younger, who has that advantage over Jesus that he actually existed:

I think the evidence is pretty convincing Jesus existed.  I mean we are talking ancient history here but it seems pretty definitive. Is there some particular issue with the historical evidence you take issue with?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 30, 2014, 11:26:36 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2014, 11:18:30 AMmovements.

Yes, I take the claims religions make for themselves seriously. If a religious text claims to be the unalterable and perfect word of god then that is the context I judge it. If religious truth claims to be absolute then I judge it on those terms. Find me the prophet that admits that he might not be presenting the correct and sophisticated interpretation then I will listen to the contextualization done by latter day theologians.

If someone were to commit mass muder quoting Locke, Burke and Mill would you take them seriously and assume that the ideologies of these men is murderous because of the mass murder?  Or would you simply suggest that the person had in fact, missed the point?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2014, 10:58:21 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 30, 2014, 11:26:36 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2014, 11:18:30 AMmovements.

Yes, I take the claims religions make for themselves seriously. If a religious text claims to be the unalterable and perfect word of god then that is the context I judge it. If religious truth claims to be absolute then I judge it on those terms. Find me the prophet that admits that he might not be presenting the correct and sophisticated interpretation then I will listen to the contextualization done by latter day theologians.

If someone were to commit mass muder quoting Locke, Burke and Mill would you take them seriously and assume that the ideologies of these men is murderous because of the mass murder?  Or would you simply suggest that the person had in fact, missed the point?

What about someone committing mass murder while quoting Bill Maher?