Berkely students petition to stop Bill Maher from delivering commencement addres

Started by Josephus, October 27, 2014, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2014, 09:04:42 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 27, 2014, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2014, 06:06:45 PM
I just find it ironic because Maher is always hailed as a liberal and leftie.

He is vehemently anti-religious, in all its forms.  Just so happens that Islam is the latest one that smites thee in His Mercy. Insha'allah.

I think he's vastly misunderstood, and mostly has been turned into a Left icon by Fox. For instance, he's quite pro-Israel--although that may have something to do with the peeps Israel is fighting.

Maher isn't really a leftist, no.  He has too much common sense for that. 

Valmy

Well he has long been hated by some on this board for being a left wing dude beyond the pale.  I enjoyed his sense of humor and his show when my wife would watch it, but yeah he never had much good to say about the Muslims.  But to be fair it is nothing he does not hold against other religions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: dps on October 27, 2014, 09:13:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 27, 2014, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2014, 06:06:45 PM
I just find it ironic because Maher is always hailed as a liberal and leftie.

He is vehemently anti-religious, in all its forms.  Just so happens that Islam is the latest one that smites thee in His Mercy. Insha'allah.

I think he's vastly misunderstood, and mostly has been turned into a Left icon by Fox. For instance, he's quite pro-Israel--although that may have something to do with the peeps Israel is fighting.

:o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I find his show unwatchable.  Four cloned people sitting around a table laughing uproariously at each other's lame ass jokes.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 09:16:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 09:14:49 PM
But to be fair it is nothing he does not hold against other religions.

Yay, bigotry for all?

I don't recall saying 'yay' but perhaps your imagination saw something different?

Anyway he has been doing this for 20+ years. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 09:18:40 PM
I find his show unwatchable.  Four cloned people sitting around a table laughing uproariously at each other's lame ass jokes.

Shocking.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on October 27, 2014, 09:13:00 PM

I don't consider him that much of a leftist at all, he's a bit more complex than that.  The fact that conservatives draw most of his ire is because, well, they do really stupid shit.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 09:19:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 09:16:09 PM

Yay, bigotry for all?

I don't recall saying 'yay' but perhaps your imagination saw something different?

Anyway he has been doing this for 20+ years. 

Well, what was the point in mentioning that he doesn't reserve his scorn for just Islam?

As to your other point, well doesn't mean that everyone is paying attention / there have been a lot of people who have grown up in the last 20 years.

Josephus

He hates all religions, but he doesn't hate Jews because they're Jews the way he hates Muslims. MOre specifically, and he lets this slip when he gets over excited, he particualry hates Arabs...who happen to be Muslims.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 09:22:51 PM
Well, what was the point in mentioning that he doesn't reserve his scorn for just Islam?

Just that this is the kind of thing one would expect from him.

QuoteAs to your other point, well doesn't mean that everyone is paying attention / there have been a lot of people who have grown up in the last 20 years.

People were paying attention.  Just they didn't care until now.  Sensitivity to saying bad things against Islam is high on the left now since the Right is doing it.  If the Right loved Islam those Berkeley students would be laughing with him.

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2014, 09:28:51 PM

He hates all religions, but he doesn't hate Jews because they're Jews the way he hates Muslims. MOre specifically, and he lets this slip when he gets over excited, he particualry hates Arabs...who happen to be Muslims.

Most American Arabs are not Muslims :hmm:

But alright maybe he has gotten more shrill lately.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 09:18:40 PM

Yi and I agree!  I thought he was an asshole when he his show on network TV back in the 1990's. 

Also he used to describe himself as a libertarian.  Maher, not Yi.  I don't know what Yi called himself back in the 1990's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 09:31:37 PM

People were paying attention.  Just they didn't care until now.  Sensitivity to saying bad things against Islam is high on the left now since the Right is doing it.  If the Right loved Islam those Berkeley students would be laughing with him.

Well, I'm glad at least someone is standing up to it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive