Soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Started by viper37, October 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 03:14:13 PM
You think grallon's comments upthread should be considered within the pale?

No.  Do you think Martinus' and Viking's (and my) comments should?  You've already suggested they fall into the category of "demonizing Muslims," which every right thinking person knows is wrong.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 03:01:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2014, 02:48:18 PM
Air India?  Good point, but for right or wrong that was always perceived as being "different" - it involved an Indian airliner, fought over Indian political issues, and killed people of Indian heritage (even if many were Canadian citizens).  It didn't involve "us"

Pipelines, incidents where terrorists were stopped - no one was hurt and all could be taken as "the system is working".

Given the specific targeting of women and the tirades against feminism, would you consider the massacre at the École Polytechnique in 1989 terrorism as well? Because if we do, then it's 16 years since the last terrorist attack from a homegrown.

As an aside, doing a bit of research I learned about the 1984 attack on the Quebec National Assembly. Though three people were sadly killed, that situation was at was ultimately handled by the Sergeant-at-Arms as well. Seems to be a theme that those guys are solid.
both of them were schizophrenic though... In the Lepine case, it was about revenge: women were the source of his problems.  It wasn't aimed at changing policies.  With Lortie, he saw seperatists as demons, he was guided by God.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 03:18:22 PM
No.  Do you think Martinus' and Viking's (and my) comments should?  You've already suggested they fall into the category of "demonizing Muslims," which every right thinking person knows is wrong.

I should not have included Martinus and Viking's names, as we were talking about Canadians calling for demonizing Muslims.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2014, 03:19:13 PM
both of them were schizophrenic though... In the Lepine case, it was about revenge: women were the source of his problems.  It wasn't aimed at changing policies.  With Lortie, he saw seperatists as demons, he was guided by God.

Yeah, and aren't there reports coming in that this most recent guy had some serious mental issues also?

I think that's a pretty common theme with these kind of individuals.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 03:05:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2014, 03:02:07 PM
:huh:

I think that view reflects the part of the country you were in at the time and perhaps not a very good understanding of what occured or the impact on the local community.  The terrorists were Vancouver based.  At the time their actions were a signficant issue within the local Sikh community which is quite large and vibrant.  It also had a signficant impact on people in the community who spoke out against the violence with many being threatened and, in the case of one media personality, badly beaten.  And then to state the obvious.  Many (most) of the people killed were Canadian.   It certainly did involve "us".

Yeah. Air India is definitely "us" if you're in BC.

Perhaps it's a regional thing then.

I mean CC was quite right to point out that Air India was a terrorist attack involving Canada.  But I always had the feeling that most Canadians didn't think of it as greatly involving "us", and that you had to go back to the FLQ for an attack that had such a high profile and that shook our sense of security.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on October 27, 2014, 03:01:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 02:51:40 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 02:48:00 PM
You mean other than Grallon and Martinus and Viking?

I meant no one.  No one ever says "I think it would be a good idea to demonize Muslims."

Of course, whether the acts of Muslims are rooted in their religion is subject to vigorous, and repeated, debate.

You are right, no one (or at least very few) ever says "I think it would be a good idea to demonize Muslims."

What that point has to do with my post is a trifle puzzling, though.

Presumably some who is consciously demonizing a group is does not actually believe the group is bad, but simply wishes others to think so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 03:20:09 PM
I should not have included Martinus and Viking's names, as we were talking about Canadians calling for demonizing Muslims.

So, yes?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2014, 03:23:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 03:05:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2014, 03:02:07 PM
:huh:

I think that view reflects the part of the country you were in at the time and perhaps not a very good understanding of what occured or the impact on the local community.  The terrorists were Vancouver based.  At the time their actions were a signficant issue within the local Sikh community which is quite large and vibrant.  It also had a signficant impact on people in the community who spoke out against the violence with many being threatened and, in the case of one media personality, badly beaten.  And then to state the obvious.  Many (most) of the people killed were Canadian.   It certainly did involve "us".

Yeah. Air India is definitely "us" if you're in BC.

Perhaps it's a regional thing then.

I mean CC was quite right to point out that Air India was a terrorist attack involving Canada.  But I always had the feeling that most Canadians didn't think of it as greatly involving "us", and that you had to go back to the FLQ for an attack that had such a high profile and that shook our sense of security.

Not sure how the FLQ attack shook our sense of security other than the fact that the government over reacted and invoked the War Measures Act - which brings us nicely back to Josephus' original point.

Razgovory

Yi, what argument are advancing exactly?  "The problem lies in the nature of Islam therefor... What?"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:30:39 PM
Yi, what argument are advancing exactly?  "The problem lies in the nature of Islam therefor... What?"

...it's OK to talk about the problems of Islam and possible solutions.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 03:32:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:30:39 PM

...it's OK to talk about the problems of Islam and possible solutions.

What kind of solutions did you have in mind?

Valmy

I have a list of 95 Theses I am going to hammer on the door of Kabah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:34:36 PM

Convincing someone to nail a list of 95 these on the door of the Kabah.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 03:36:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:34:36 PM

Convincing someone to nail a list of 95 these on the door of the Kabah.

Well Valmy just said he would do it, so on the the next problem, eh?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."