Soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Started by viper37, October 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 03:39:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 03:36:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:34:36 PM
What kind of solutions did you have in mind?

Convincing someone to nail a list of 95 these on the door of the Kabah.

Well Valmy just said he would do it, so on the the next problem, eh?

Well, I'm glad we sorted this out.  Now we don't have to go through with Grallon's genocide plan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Islam is just the latest flavor to grasp for those who feel compelled to commit violence in their sense of being wronged, slighted or otherwise disenfranchised at the outskirts of society.  40 years ago, it was left-wing movements that were in vogue.

Being batshit insane Having substantial mental health issues has a lot to do with it, though.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:45:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 03:39:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 03:36:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:34:36 PM
What kind of solutions did you have in mind?

Convincing someone to nail a list of 95 these on the door of the Kabah.

Well Valmy just said he would do it, so on the the next problem, eh?

Well, I'm glad we sorted this out.  Now we don't have to go through with Grallon's genocide plan.

:cheers:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 03:27:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 03:20:09 PM
I should not have included Martinus and Viking's names, as we were talking about Canadians calling for demonizing Muslims.

So, yes?

No, not "yes", not "no", but "I don't really care what Marty and Vike says about Muslims at this time."

Razgovory

If you asked people 40 years ago if there was a class of civilizations they would probably say yes.  Between the freedom-loving individualist West and the collectivist Asiatic hordes in the East.  In 40 years it you will likely get a completely different answer.  Perhaps the enemy will be Hindu hyper-nationalist or Chinese Anarcho-Capitalists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I don't know.  There was some genocidal activity going on last time somebody nailed 95 theses on doors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:51:42 PM
If you asked people 40 years ago if there was a class of civilizations they would probably say yes.  Between the freedom-loving individualist West and the collectivist Asiatic hordes in the East.  In 40 years it you will likely get a completely different answer.  Perhaps the enemy will be Hindu hyper-nationalist or Chinese Anarcho-Capitalists.

It is between internet trolls and the rest of us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2014, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 01:18:21 PM
... and yeah, we're in agreement on security theatre, signing away civil liberties, and the response to lone attacker types.

I don't think that taking specific steps to improve security at Parliament should be considered "security theatre".  Security there seems bizarrely arcane - why are there separate House of Commons and Senate security forces?  Why are there not better controls at the main entrance?  I mentioned before that my local courthouse has better "perimeter security" than Parliament appears to have.

No argument there. But I think the PM has a few more things than just improving security at Parliament in mind.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 04:00:43 PM

I don't know.  There was some genocidal activity going on last time somebody nailed 95 theses on doors.

The problem was a slight error in translation: not "theses", but "feces".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on October 27, 2014, 04:03:44 PM
The problem was a slight error in translation: not "theses", but "feces".

Save it, Jew.  Nobody's talking shit about your blood matzohs.  :mad:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 04:01:36 PM

We prefer the less loaded term "bridge-kin", thank you very much.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 03:50:00 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 03:27:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2014, 03:20:09 PM
I should not have included Martinus and Viking's names, as we were talking about Canadians calling for demonizing Muslims.

So, yes?

No, not "yes", not "no", but "I don't really care what Marty and Vike says about Muslims at this time."

So first you attack us and then, when you get called on it, you refuse to engage? Classy.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2014, 04:09:20 PMSo first you attack us and then, when you get called on it, you refuse to engage? Classy.

Like I said. It was a mistake.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2014, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 04:01:36 PM

We prefer the less loaded term "bridge-kin", thank you very much.

Haven't heard that one before. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2014, 03:32:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 03:30:39 PM
Yi, what argument are advancing exactly?  "The problem lies in the nature of Islam therefor... What?"

...it's OK to talk about the problems of Islam and possible solutions.
But that's obvious too surely :mellow:

Interesting debate from the Canadians too, I'm glad you seem to be taking a measured response. I recently watched an interview with a Minister from the 70s who said back then they would never recall Parliament or anything like that in response to an IRA attack because it would politically dignify them. I think that's maybe a bit extreme, but I do feel we've gone too far the other way.

It is weird though. He clearly wanted to be a terrorist and it's clearly political but, like another recent attack (can't remember which) it feels almost more like a school shooter/spree killer kind of situation.
Let's bomb Russia!