Soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Started by viper37, October 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Well, for what it is worth, Farage, with his desire to take the UK out of the EU, is probably going to do more harm to his own country than Le Pen or Wilders. :P

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2014, 04:27:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 27, 2014, 04:23:00 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2014, 04:21:52 PM
If that was the case, then why it is one of the most hotly debated topic in the Western world,

Because it wasn't on September 10, 2001.

But it is now. And frankly, I was calling for the cooler heads to prevail back then, against you and Berkut, among others, who wanted all the towelheads to be glassed (not the exact quote).

I see nothing wrong with glassing anybody.

QuoteI resent the fact that now, when I voice some concerns, I am immediately painted as one who "demonises Muslims" and beyond the Pale.

Like the cop with far too many internal investigations of abuse under his belt to provide testimony, your reputation when it comes to reasoned debate precedes you.   

Sorry, sweetie, but you've been too much of an over-the-top homo shrillbot all these years.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 27, 2014, 04:29:06 PM
It is simply a factual issue. Canadians, by and large, see this attack as more of a problem with people with mental problems being attracted to the most extreme ideology currently being peddled, that one with the religion of Islam generally.

Because, here at least, that's how it appears to be playing out. We don't see anything in the way of actual popular support from the Canadian Islamic community for these attacks. On the contrary. The last major organized attempt to attack - the Via Rail attack - was turned over to the cops by people within the Islamic community itself. As for this young terrorist, he was, it appears, acting on his own.

As I said to CC though, I wonder if Canadian heads would be so collected if one of these two attacks had ended with several hundred dead. I think the number of deaths, in such a spectacular fashion, says a lot in say the psychic scarring in America.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

If that was the case, then why it is one of the most hotly debated topic in the Western world,

But it is now. And frankly, I was calling for the cooler heads to prevail back then, against you and Berkut, among others, who wanted all the towelheads to be glassed (not the exact quote). I resent the fact that now, when I voice some concerns, I am immediately painted as one who "demonises Muslims" and beyond the Pale. This is not conductive to good debate, and it is little wonder that people like Le Pen, Farrage or Wilders end up more and more popular - because the other side, as soon as you voice some concern about the cultural clashes with immigrants from Muslim countries, immediately paints you into the extremist corner.

I don't recall berkut calling for all Islamic lands to be glassed over.

Razgovory

I don't remember that either.  I do remember Marty calling for mass murder of people he didn't like on several occasions though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 07:54:44 PM
As I said to CC though, I wonder if Canadian heads would be so collected if one of these two attacks had ended with several hundred dead. I think the number of deaths, in such a spectacular fashion, says a lot in say the psychic scarring in America.

I think there's definitely something to that. This is not Canada's 9/11 in any shape or form.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on October 27, 2014, 09:08:13 PM

But it is now. And frankly, I was calling for the cooler heads to prevail back then, against you and Berkut, among others, who wanted all the towelheads to be glassed (not the exact quote). I resent the fact that now, when I voice some concerns, I am immediately painted as one who "demonises Muslims" and beyond the Pale. This is not conductive to good debate, and it is little wonder that people like Le Pen, Farrage or Wilders end up more and more popular - because the other side, as soon as you voice some concern about the cultural clashes with immigrants from Muslim countries, immediately paints you into the extremist corner.

I wasn't sure about CdM, but I would be willing to bet good money on Berkut. It was still at Paradox.

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on October 27, 2014, 04:29:06 PM
It is simply a factual issue. Canadians, by and large, see this attack as more of a problem with people with mental problems being attracted to the most extreme ideology currently being peddled, that one with the religion of Islam generally.

Because, here at least, that's how it appears to be playing out. We don't see anything in the way of actual popular support from the Canadian Islamic community for these attacks. On the contrary. The last major organized attempt to attack - the Via Rail attack - was turned over to the cops by people within the Islamic community itself. As for this young terrorist, he was, it appears, acting on his own.

Fair enough. Let's hope we don't get to run that particular social experiment ... !  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2014, 01:31:26 AM
Quote from: dps on October 27, 2014, 09:08:13 PM

I wasn't sure about CdM, but I would be willing to bet good money on Berkut. It was still at Paradox.

You are full of shit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Back to the issue of the possible over reaction, it turns out that the CSIS Bill has been in the works for some time and the Conservatives did not amend it as a result of recent events.  What I think is a possible issue is a new Bill which will give police greater power.  I havent seen any detail about what that might entail but I think that the real risk of over reaction is in that second Bill.

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on October 28, 2014, 01:26:38 AM

I think there's definitely something to that. This is not Canada's 9/11 in any shape or form.

Exactly. And we shouldn't let it become our 9/11
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011