Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2014, 06:54:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 04:31:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2014, 04:28:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 04:25:37 PM
I've a minor quibble regarding the bit in bold. If someone was raped and process ended with rapist getting away with it, are they expected to accept the results of the process?

Yes.  That's part of the rule of law.  One cannot only accept the rulings that one agrees with.  Vigilantiism is frowned upon.

Oh well that's a whole different thing entirely. Where's this vigilantism bit coming from? It is possible to not accept the result of a process and yet not become a vigilante, no?

Actually, not so much.  You have to accept that they are walking around free and unpunished.  If you try to do anything about it you are likely to be committing a crime.  You really shouldn't be stalking them, or harassing them, or refusing them service or attacking them or whatever.

Yeah so those are also different things form simply not accepting something.  Or are you of the school that unless you do something, you are tacitly accepting something?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on September 24, 2014, 06:57:40 PM
You smoke pot.  You kill your roommate because you think he's a demon.

Someone hasn't smoked very much pot.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 07:19:13 PM
I've a minor quibble regarding the bit in bold. If someone was raped and process ended with rapist getting away with it, are they expected to accept the results of the process?

Yes.  That's part of the rule of law.  One cannot only accept the rulings that one agrees with.  Vigilantiism is frowned upon.

Oh well that's a whole different thing entirely. Where's this vigilantism bit coming from? It is possible to not accept the result of a process and yet not become a vigilante, no?

Actually, not so much.  You have to accept that they are walking around free and unpunished.  If you try to do anything about it you are likely to be committing a crime.  You really shouldn't be stalking them, or harassing them, or refusing them service or attacking them or whatever.

Yeah so those are also different things form simply not accepting something.  Or are you of the school that unless you do something, you are tacitly accepting something?

You are tacitly accepting it by not doing anything.  If you believe someone has committed a crime against you, you call the police on them.  Since she is not doing that she is essentially accepting that they have not committed a crime.  She may protest loudly about it, but she is accepting the legal reality that the person is not wanted by the authorities or criminally liable.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2014, 07:50:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 07:19:13 PM

You are tacitly accepting it by not doing anything.  If you believe someone has committed a crime against you, you call the police on them.  Since she is not doing that she is essentially accepting that they have not committed a crime.  She may protest loudly about it, but she is accepting the legal reality that the person is not wanted by the authorities or criminally liable.

Odd, I think G was suggesting that she isn't accepting the process outcome with her antics.

And no, I completely disagree with that. In a hypothetical, if you don't think the police will actually doing anything, you aren't accepting that some hasn't committed a crime if you refuse to report a crime against you, to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iUoqTaowaI
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

And really, Raz, where does that go? If you aren't protesting/taking action against any and everything you dislike, think is unjust, etc. are you accepting it?

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2014, 06:15:07 PM
As an aside, she is a shitty ad for the value of a Colombia education.  She is arguing for either an infinite process of appealing to reverse every decision that one of the involved parties does not like or else she is arguing that she deserves a special rule just for her.

I'm going to put joking aside for a moment because it seems the line between crude jokes and actual misogyny is getting blurry.

She is one of two parties that knows exactly what happened. Lets assume that she actually was raped (which isn't very far fetched--I doubt most rape victims are making their stories up). So she knows she was raped, and the powers that be came to a decision that allowed her rapist to continue as her classmate. Maybe there was a procedural flaw in the decision, maybe the rules governing the system are flawed, or maybe it was just a he said/she said situation with a presumption of innocence. Whatever the case may be, the outcome was an injustice, and that is worth drawing attention to.

Also, confronted with a system that won't or can't punish her rapist, this may be a means to maximize his discomfort and punish him through the exercise of her free speech rights.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

I think it's possible she's convinced herself she was raped but really wasn't.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on September 24, 2014, 08:08:45 PM
I'm going to put joking aside for a moment because it seems the line between crude jokes and actual misogyny is getting blurry.

She is one of two parties that knows exactly what happened. Lets assume that she actually was raped (which isn't very far fetched--I doubt most rape victims are making their stories up). So she knows she was raped, and the powers that be came to a decision that allowed her rapist to continue as her classmate. Maybe there was a procedural flaw in the decision, maybe the rules governing the system are flawed, or maybe it was just a he said/she said situation with a presumption of innocence. Whatever the case may be, the outcome was an injustice, and that is worth drawing attention to.

Also, confronted with a system that won't or can't punish her rapist, this may be a means to maximize his discomfort and punish him through the exercise of her free speech rights.

Granted.  But I don't think the average person in that situation would wait months after the school panel made their judgement, years after the incident, to go to the police, then flake out on the police and not press charges.  I also think the average person would try to get their version of the story out to the public.  Has she said anything about the particulars apart from "he raped me?"

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 08:21:14 PM

Granted.  But I don't think the average person in that situation would wait months after the school panel made their judgement, years after the incident, to go to the police, then flake out on the police and not press charges.  I also think the average person would try to get their version of the story out to the public.  Has she said anything about the particulars apart from "he raped me?"

I don't know anything about this case, but maybe she knows the case is weak and doesn't want to go through the meat grinder that is the legal process only to have her rapist found not guilty?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on September 24, 2014, 08:27:26 PM
I don't know anything about this case, but maybe she knows the case is weak and doesn't want to go through the meat grinder that is the legal process only to have her rapist found not guilty?

Her comments about the school panel don't give the impression of someone who thinks her case is weak.

In fact, now that I think about it, those comments give the impression she thinks the dude's expulsion is just a question of political preference.  If they're progressive enough, they'll expel him.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 08:21:14 PM
Has she said anything about the particulars apart from "he raped me?"

Yes the article is pretty clear on that front:

"Paul kissed Sulkowicz, who says that she was sober except for a sip of gin-and-Sprite. He was buzzed and carrying a handle of vodka. While they were having consensual sex in her dorm room, she alleges that he suddenly pushed her legs against her chest, choked her, slapped her and anally penetrated her as she struggled and clearly repeated 'No.'"

Article continues on to say/editorialize:
"Sulkowicz didn't report the incident at first. But when two classmates told her that Paul had been abusive to them too- one who had been in a long-term relationship with him, the other alleging he groped her- she pressed charges with the administration.  Students tend to be uncomfortable going to the cops, who, despite what plots of Law & Order suggest, aren't always great with rape. The preference suits the universities, too, which prefer to handle issues quietly in-house."

Later on then Paul apparently said (as told by Sulkowicz)
"Paul denied the charges. If Sulkowicz is a fencer, she alleges he told the panel, her legs are the strongest part of her body, and he was only a lightweight rower - how could he have pinned her legs down? The anal sex was consensual, he said. He went into detail about how he came on Sulkowicz, and then she grabbed a tissue, wiped the ejaculate off, and 'threw the tissue away,' she says. 'None of which is true- he never came that night. He just stopped and ran away."

Then some bit about how Columbia didn't hear charges for 6 months, found in favor of Paul, when she appeal tean refused to overturn verdict saying that by Columbia's bylaws his decision was final.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 08:07:06 PM
And really, Raz, where does that go? If you aren't protesting/taking action against any and everything you dislike, think is unjust, etc. are you accepting it?

In a legal situation, I think that is accurate.  I'm not a big fan of "symbolic protests" and other such stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017