Columbia student carrying mattress until school expels her rapist

Started by garbon, September 24, 2014, 08:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 05:08:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2014, 04:40:19 PM
Why else would she be carrying a mattress around campus?  Well ok she is getting a grade for some bullshit art project....but still stuff like this is done to influence people's opinions.

I can think of a number of legitimate reasons and quite a few bullshit reasons she would be carrying a mattress around campus.  But she hasn't expressed a single criticism of the rape statutes as they are written.

grabon: she has nice legs.

According to her interview, her biggest complaint is that the University won't reopen her case and come to the "correct" verdict.

She still thinks that university complaints are the way to go, rather than the cops - because they are more likely to have "progressive" people. Not sure how that squares with them rejecting her complaint.

QuoteIn my case, the biggest problem is there is no retroactive motion to open closed cases and to get our rapists off campus, which would be admitting that they've done wrong, which is what they need to do right now.

Do you think that the college is capable of handling these cases?
I do. The police don't seem very well equipped either. It is going to take an administration that is willing to admit that they have done wrong, and make real tangible changes. I think administrations are actually in a better place to make these changes than the police right now.

How so?
I feel like it would take that much longer for [the police to] change, but the universities are filled with people who are progressive thinkers, and who can come up with creative strategies to solve these problems. We have so many intelligent students who think about and care about this issue way more than any of the administration.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 04:35:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2014, 04:33:50 PM
The rule of law includes activism to influence the lawmakers to change the laws.

She's not doing that.
Why else would she be carrying a mattress around campus?  Well ok she is getting a grade for some bullshit art project....but still stuff like this is done to influence people's opinions.
I don't think that the mere accusation of wrongdoing is ever going to be enough to jail or expel a student, no matter how many opinions she changes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on September 24, 2014, 05:17:31 PM
I don't think that the mere accusation of wrongdoing is ever going to be enough to jail or expel a student, no matter how many opinions she changes.

Yep.  That is why I think it is mostly an activist thing.  Well and a grade thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

I've read horror stories about Universities handling violent crime in house instead of encouraging students to go to the cops.
PDH!

alfred russel

she has nice legs.

She isn't that cute, but she is okay. Not worth a ton of effort, but say she was carrying a mattress around with her....
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on September 24, 2014, 05:41:37 PM
she has nice legs.

She isn't that cute, but she is okay. Not worth a ton of effort, but say she was carrying a mattress around with her....

Forget her, I'd grab the mattress and send pics to her of the mattress living it up in various locations around the world.  :cool:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

She doesn't want the law changed, just the verdict.  Its a form of blackmail.  It seems to me she's trying to "shame" the university into abandoning its procedurally-derived result and impose an expulsion by fiat.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

As an aside, she is a shitty ad for the value of a Colombia education.  She is arguing for either an infinite process of appealing to reverse every decision that one of the involved parties does not like or else she is arguing that she deserves a special rule just for her.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on September 24, 2014, 06:07:49 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 24, 2014, 05:41:37 PM
she has nice legs.

Forget her, I'd grab the mattress and send pics to her of the mattress living it up in various locations around the world.  :cool:

That would only work in her favor. She'd get more attention for herself, campus activists would hold candlelight vigils for the mattress, and she might even receive a call from the President. Not to mention the #bringbackourmattresses hashtag.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

She's not after anything logical except maybe an easy grade and SJW attention. It's all about the drama and me me me.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

Looking at the bright side, I'm sure that after this process she'll be strong enough to repel any future rape attempt.

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2014, 06:15:07 PM
As an aside, she is a shitty ad for the value of a Colombia education.  She is arguing for either an infinite process of appealing to reverse every decision that one of the involved parties does not like or else she is arguing that she deserves a special rule just for her.
:D

"Now Lisa, if things don't go your way, just keep complaining and complaining until your dreams come true."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 11:00:32 AM
I sort of wanted to avoid rehashing this old argument.  I know that by the modern definition a drunk person is unable to give consent.  I've had sex while drunk and/or stoned.  Does that mean I've been assaulted?  I think that's silly.

Should cold-fishing a passed out girl be considered assault?  Sure.

Can drunk women want to have sex too?  Of course.
Imho, the difference is between drunk and totally passed out.

A girl gets drunk, has unprotected sex, wakes up the morning after, doesn't like the guy and decides to call it rape because she wasn't entirely herself.  Imho, that is not rape.  That is not an excuse to get yourself out of a bad situation, just like "I was drunk" is not an excuse for smoking crack or driving your car and hitting something/someone.  Except in Toronto, maybe, but that's another story ;)

However, if a girl gets drunk/stoned to the point she's passed out, even if that is self induced, that is rape to me.  She clearly can't give consent in that case.

And those girls taking GHB before going out, because it's cool and cheaper than drinking a lot... I think they deserved what they got. 

That being said, I don't know enough about the case to know if it was a rape or not.

On the other subject: University intervention.  If a rape happenned at a work place, would the employer fire the employee?  I think so.  Why should it be different for a university?  Maybe clarify the policies of the campus: if you're accused of commiting a criminal act on campus, you are suspended from school.
If the crime was vandalizing the science faculty, I'm pretty sure the university would expel the studend.  Why should it be different for crimes against people?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 04:31:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2014, 04:28:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 04:25:37 PM
I've a minor quibble regarding the bit in bold. If someone was raped and process ended with rapist getting away with it, are they expected to accept the results of the process?

Yes.  That's part of the rule of law.  One cannot only accept the rulings that one agrees with.  Vigilantiism is frowned upon.

Oh well that's a whole different thing entirely. Where's this vigilantism bit coming from? It is possible to not accept the result of a process and yet not become a vigilante, no?

Actually, not so much.  You have to accept that they are walking around free and unpunished.  If you try to do anything about it you are likely to be committing a crime.  You really shouldn't be stalking them, or harassing them, or refusing them service or attacking them or whatever.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2014, 11:32:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 11:28:26 AM
Well I guess it depends on whether or not the woman you know wanted to be passed around. If she did then no, not rape.
It doesn't depend on it.  Once a person is drunk, they are not adult humans anymore, and have no wants or desires.
You drink.  A lot.  You drive.  You have an accident.  You killed someone.
Not guilty of any crime other than driving drunk because you had not the desire to kill?

You drink windshield washer fluid.  You kill your 2 kids with a knife. 
Not guilty because you weren't yourself?

You smoke pot.  You kill your roommate because you think he's a demon.
Not guilty because you weren't yourself?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.