Columbia student carrying mattress until school expels her rapist

Started by garbon, September 24, 2014, 08:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2014, 04:28:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 04:25:37 PM
I've a minor quibble regarding the bit in bold. If someone was raped and process ended with rapist getting away with it, are they expected to accept the results of the process?

Yes.  That's part of the rule of law.  One cannot only accept the rulings that one agrees with.  Vigilantiism is frowned upon.

Oh well that's a whole different thing entirely. Where's this vigilantism bit coming from? It is possible to not accept the result of a process and yet not become a vigilante, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on September 24, 2014, 04:22:03 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 24, 2014, 04:15:08 PM
Slacktivism in action.

It's a turbocharged form of female attention-whoring amplified by social media and aided and abetted by the campus rape hysteria. After some time has passed this will all be looked upon like the satanic ritual abuse panic back in the 80's.  :hmm:

Wait you post on languish and hang on the internet and you think attenton whoring is a female thing? :lol:

And no, rape actually happens on college campuses.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2014, 04:28:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 04:25:37 PM
I've a minor quibble regarding the bit in bold. If someone was raped and process ended with rapist getting away with it, are they expected to accept the results of the process?

Yes.  That's part of the rule of law.  One cannot only accept the rulings that one agrees with.  Vigilantiism is frowned upon.

The rule of law includes activism to influence the lawmakers to change the laws.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2014, 04:33:50 PM
The rule of law includes activism to influence the lawmakers to change the laws.

She's not doing that.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 04:35:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2014, 04:33:50 PM

She's not doing that.

Why else would she be carrying a mattress around campus?  Well ok she is getting a grade for some bullshit art project....but still stuff like this is done to influence people's opinions.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2014, 04:40:19 PM
but still stuff like this is done to influence people's opinions.

She's influenced a few opinions here :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2014, 04:43:12 PM

I doubt it.  We very rarely change our opinions here :P

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2014, 04:44:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2014, 04:43:12 PM

I doubt it.  We very rarely change our opinions here :P

Yeah. I knew, even before I'd looked into her circumstances more, the sort of reception this article would have when I posted it. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2014, 04:15:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2014, 04:12:55 PM
The problem is that, while I fully believe that rape on campus is in fact a huge problem, the more I read about Ms. Mattress Girl the less credible her individual case appears; in effect, she's doing her stated cause more harm than good (for those who bother to read about the facts of her particular case).

In particular, it is difficult to believe that someone so devoted to her cause as to carry a mattress about everywhere in order to get the alleged perp expelled, simply can't be bothered with such details as police procedures and interviews.

I agree with this except the bizarre notion she is doing her cause harm.  This is being talked about everywhere, she is making a difference in drawing attention to this issue.  Most people couldn't give two shits about her particular case.  If you look at just her case she is kind of an asshole, but on an activism standpoint she is making a big difference.  I guess that is how it goes.

I don't get it. You say "This is being talked about everywhere" in the same post as you say "Most people couldn't give two shits about her particular case". I disagree: her case is "talked about" exactly because her particular case is interesting--particularly, her bizzare form of protest.

If it turns out that she flat-out made it up (which is certainly looking possible given her lack of care about pursuing the guy with a police investigation), how could that *not* feed into the narrative (which is I agree false) that there are lots and lots of false, defamatory accusations out there, and in effect *harm* the cause?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Admiral Yi

Why else would she be carrying a mattress around campus?  Well ok she is getting a grade for some bullshit art project....but still stuff like this is done to influence people's opinions.

I can think of a number of legitimate reasons and quite a few bullshit reasons she would be carrying a mattress around campus.  But she hasn't expressed a single criticism of the rape statutes as they are written.

grabon: she has nice legs.