San Diego School District's New 18-Ton Armored Vehicle Creates Stir

Started by jimmy olsen, September 15, 2014, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2014, 04:17:24 PM
I am sitting in downtown Edmonton right now, and Seedy is right, it is just frozen tundra as far as the eye can see, broken up by the occasional gibbet with some poor French speaker dangling from it.

What marks the downtown anyway? A convergance of paths in the tundra? Increased frequency of francophone gibbets?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2014, 05:15:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2014, 04:36:26 PM
The reason it makes a good example is that Branch Davidians were heavily armed and in this country you sometimes have very heavily armed loonies.  In cases like that, want law enforcement to have superior equipment, and there was no "we have to kill everyone to save them" mentality there.  The religious nuts had set the fire.  Actually the worst case scenario did not occur.  The worst case scenario would be the cultists waging their apocalyptic war (which was what they were preparing for with all those guns) on the public.

Is there any evidence of this war upon the public?

Seems to me it would make better sense to choose as one's example a case in which use of armoured vehicles actually saved the day, rather than a notorious fuck-up which got all of the children (the safety of which was the alleged reason for the final raid) killed.

They were buying a lot of weapons and black powder and thought there would be an apocalyptic war in the future.  In my book that makes that them dangerous loonies.  I used them as an example because they were dangerous loonies and the that officers who were shot may not have been shot had they had suitable armored vehicles to get behind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2014, 10:27:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2014, 05:15:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2014, 04:36:26 PM
The reason it makes a good example is that Branch Davidians were heavily armed and in this country you sometimes have very heavily armed loonies.  In cases like that, want law enforcement to have superior equipment, and there was no "we have to kill everyone to save them" mentality there.  The religious nuts had set the fire.  Actually the worst case scenario did not occur.  The worst case scenario would be the cultists waging their apocalyptic war (which was what they were preparing for with all those guns) on the public.

Is there any evidence of this war upon the public?

Seems to me it would make better sense to choose as one's example a case in which use of armoured vehicles actually saved the day, rather than a notorious fuck-up which got all of the children (the safety of which was the alleged reason for the final raid) killed.

They were buying a lot of weapons and black powder and thought there would be an apocalyptic war in the future.  In my book that makes that them dangerous loonies.  I used them as an example because they were dangerous loonies and the that officers who were shot may not have been shot had they had suitable armored vehicles to get behind.

The ATF is a specialized federal law enforcement agency. If we grant that they might have a use for armored vehicles once every twenty years or so, that doesn't suggest that all police forces need them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

That's fine.  I never said that all police forces need them.  In fact, I said that they probably don't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/17/us-usa-california-school-weapons-idUSKBN0HC0N320140917

QuoteLos Angeles schools police to return grenade launchers to U.S.

Los Angeles schools' police said on Tuesday it would give up three grenade launchers it acquired for free through a federal program now facing mounting scrutiny for supplying local agencies with military-grade equipment, the L.A Times newspaper reported.

The move follows scrutiny over the Department of Defense's program, begun in 1991, which gives unused equipment to police forces across the U.S., including ones that serve school districts.

The Los Angeles School Police Department, which serves the nation's second-largest school system, would keep 61 rifles and an armored vehicle built to withstand roadside bombs, the newspaper said.

Reuters could not independently verify the report.

A police sergeant who declined to be named confirmed the department had the equipment and said it is needed "for the safety of staff, students, and personnel" but could not confirm what if anything the department was relinquishing.

The Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle, and the grenade launchers, would only have been used in "very specific circumstances," he added, without elaborating.

President Barack Obama ordered a review of the program out of concern at how such equipment had been used during racial unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, following the shooting death of a black teen by a white policeman last month.

Images of police wielding military-style guns and armor flanked by armored vehicles as they clashed with protesters helped to fuel a national debate on policing tactics in the U.S.

Debate has also simmered in part over the extent to which an increase in armed police and school officials can prevent higher death tolls in shooting rampages at U.S. schools.

Civil rights and education groups called for an end to the program supplying school system police in a letter to the Department of Defense on Monday. The Los Angeles School Police Department assigns officers to school campuses and they also patrol the surrounding areas.

"Adding the presence of military-grade weapons to school climates that have become increasingly hostile due to their overreliance on police to handle routine student discipline can only exacerbate existing tensions," the letter said.

The Pentagon has transferred more than $4 billion of equipment including armored vehicles, tents, rifles and night- vision goggles to local and state agencies since 2006.

School districts in Texas, Michigan, Georgia, and other states have received equipment, U.S. media reported.

Other California schools districts have participated in the program, gathering supplies ranging from rifles to exercise equipment and televisions, the Times reported.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I am eager to learn why a school board needs an armoured car ... but I am delighted to hear that they no longer require grenade launchers.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2014, 08:28:21 AM
I am eager to learn why a school board needs an armoured car
have you not seen kindergarten cop? You never know when an insane criminal and his mother might try to kidnap one of your students.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

but I am delighted to hear that they no longer require grenade launchers.  :lol:

I'd be pissed if I were a San Diego school cop.  Those things are fun to shoot-- even just with the chalk training rounds we used.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2014, 08:42:17 AM
but I am delighted to hear that they no longer require grenade launchers.  :lol:

I'd be pissed if I were a San Diego school cop.  Those things are fun to shoot-- even just with the chalk training rounds we used.

I wonder how fun it would be to lob one into a crowded playground.  I guess the San Diego cops may never find out, now. :lol:

garbon

I am eager to learn why a school board needs an armoured car ... but I am delighted to hear that they no longer require grenade launchers.  :lol:

Hey this wasn't a school board. It was the LA School Cops. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Ironically, the only school police department that would need grenade launchers would be LA's. :unsure:

derspiess

Besides, there are 40mm smoke & tear gas grenades.  And we know riot cops never shoot those directly at individuals.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Yeah, the grenade launchers get a bad rap because of its name, but it's great when it comes to gas for crowd control.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive