San Diego School District's New 18-Ton Armored Vehicle Creates Stir

Started by jimmy olsen, September 15, 2014, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2014, 09:22:04 AM
Bring back the M79
Isn't that single-shot?  Can we afford to under-equip our police forces with single shot grenade launchers?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2014, 09:41:38 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2014, 09:22:04 AM
Bring back the M79
Isn't that single-shot?  Can we afford to under-equip our police forces with single shot grenade launchers?

You can reload those sumbitches fast.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2014, 09:15:03 AM
Yeah, the grenade launchers get a bad rap because of its name, but it's great when it comes to gas for crowd control.

I don't think we should be gassing students. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2014, 09:45:22 AM
Yeah, the grenade launchers get a bad rap because of its name, but it's great when it comes to gas for crowd control.

What's the alternative, high explosives?  :rolleyes:

Malthus

Kindergarden must be more exciting in your country.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2014, 08:28:21 AM
I am eager to learn why a school board needs an armoured car ... but I am delighted to hear that they no longer require grenade launchers.  :lol:
:huh:  Tear gas grenades fired from grenade launchers make some degree of sense.  Mine-resistant, ambush-proofed "armored cars" that tip over easily... a lot less.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2014, 09:45:22 AM

Under no circumstances?  :unsure:

How about people who are holding students or administrators hostage, or who are attacking a school building.  Do you think we should gas them? :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 10:04:37 AM
I am eager to learn why a school board needs an armoured car ... but I am delighted to hear that they no longer require grenade launchers.  :lol:
:huh:  Tear gas grenades fired from grenade launchers make some degree of sense.  Mine-resistant, ambush-proofed "armored cars" that tip over easily... a lot less.

Why the "  :huh: :"? I said I'm "eager to learn why a school board needs an armoured car". The implication is, I don't know any good reason why they would want one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2014, 10:08:05 AM

Why the "  :huh: :"? I said I'm "eager to learn why a school board needs an armoured car". The implication is, I don't know any good reason why they would want one.

So, your post and my response only, in your mind, addressed the "armoured car" issue?  Neither of us said anything about grenade launchers, as far as you can see?

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 10:24:04 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2014, 10:08:05 AM

So, your post and my response only, in your mind, addressed the "armoured car" issue?  Neither of us said anything about grenade launchers, as far as you can see?

I said I was delighted to hear that they no longer require them (commenting on the news story, that they were giving them up).  Your point being?  :hmm:

As far as I know, I never said anything like 'it makes sense to have armoured cars but not grenade launchers', which appears to be what you thought I was saying, given your response.

In point of fact, I think neither makes much sense for school police, but if I was pressed, I would agree with you that armoured cars make less sense, since there is at least some theoretic possibility of rioting students requiring tear gassing. 

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2014, 10:34:20 AM
I said I was delighted to hear that they no longer require them (commenting on the news story, that they were giving them up).  Your point being?  :hmm:

The school system was giving up the grenade launchers, not eliminating the need for them.  I'm not sure why that is such a delightful thing.  That was the point.

Quote...here is at least some theoretic possibility of rioting students requiring tear gassing.

So, tear gas or smoke could only ever be used on students?  There is no "theoretic possibility" that tear gas or smoke could be used to protect or rescue school students or staff?

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 10:42:08 AM

The school system was giving up the grenade launchers, not eliminating the need for them.  I'm not sure why that is such a delightful thing.  That was the point.

As you saying that the fact that they made the decision to give them up isn't a reasonable basis to believe that they themselves decided they weren't needed? What exactly are you basing this apparently irrational action on their part on?  :hmm:

QuoteSo, tear gas or smoke could only ever be used on students?  There is no "theoretic possibility" that tear gas or smoke could be used to protect or rescue school students or staff?

Sure. So?

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2014, 10:50:47 AM
As you saying that the fact that they made the decision to give them up isn't a reasonable basis to believe that they themselves decided they weren't needed? What exactly are you basing this apparently irrational action on their part on?  :hmm:

I'm assuming nothing.  I am merely questioning your assumptions.  Sometimes people or organizations give things up because they are too expensive, not because they don't serve a purpose.  The US Navy gave up 31 Spruance class destroyers with an average of a decade of service life left; not because they didn't have a need for the ships, but because the decision sacrificed the least capability for the  budget reduction needed.  That sort of trade-off isn't even remotely "apparently irrational." :hmm:

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 11:24:08 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2014, 10:50:47 AM

I'm assuming nothing.  I am merely questioning your assumptions.  Sometimes people or organizations give things up because they are too expensive, not because they don't serve a purpose.  The US Navy gave up 31 Spruance class destroyers with an average of a decade of service life left; not because they didn't have a need for the ships, but because the decision sacrificed the least capability for the  budget reduction needed.  That sort of trade-off isn't even remotely "apparently irrational." :hmm:

Something they allegedly got for free is "too expensive" now?  :lol:

From thec article:

QuoteLos Angeles schools' police said on Tuesday it would give up three grenade launchers it acquired for free through a federal program ...
[emphasis]

You are not exactly undermining the assumption they did not need them with that argument.  :hmm: