San Diego School District's New 18-Ton Armored Vehicle Creates Stir

Started by jimmy olsen, September 15, 2014, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2014, 02:41:12 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 10:06:37 AM
How about people who are holding students or administrators hostage, or who are attacking a school building.  Do you think we should gas them? :huh:

Would school cops really be qualified to handle a massive attack on a school building or a large scale hostage situation?

They got the MRAPs, they got the kids, they got the money too. Er, maybe.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2014, 02:41:12 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 10:06:37 AM
How about people who are holding students or administrators hostage, or who are attacking a school building.  Do you think we should gas them? :huh:

Would school cops really be qualified to handle a massive attack on a school building or a large scale hostage situation?
Not without the equipment and training, I shouldn't think.  Whether they should be spending money on that capability, or whether jurisdiction would pass to other police forces, is something that depends on the locality, I suppose (I'm assuming here that the terms "massive" and "large scale" were added to your post without any intent to imply that only massive attacks or large scale hostage situations are of concern). 

My question wasn't about the scale of the attack, but rather whether gas should be deployed on the perps in those situations.  Look at the comment I was responding to in order to understand my response.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:39:39 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 02:34:39 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:33:32 PM
The regular po-po shouldn't be firing on crowds.

No more than anyone else.  But, sometimes, you just have to.

Rarely enough that having the governor sign off on it instead of some local sheriff isn't a bad idea.

Well, they are school police. Never know when recess can get out of hand.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Wouldn't it be appropriate to call in the national guard or something like that if there's a situation that might call for those tactics?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2014, 03:24:33 PM
Wouldn't it be appropriate to call in the national guard or something like that if there's a situation that might call for those tactics?

Yeah. If you're a pussy.

Malthus

Seems that, around here, if you question the value of crossing-guards owning tanks, someone will take issue with you. I mean, if some lunatics attack the kiddies with RPGs at the crosswalk, what's he gonna do, wave his STOP sign at them?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Dispersing a crowd with gas is done from a distance, and that's what launchers are for.  Tossing gas by hand doesnt do you much good when it's blowing back in your face from 50 feet away.

Besides, in a crowd control and disperse scenario, you want your officers as far away as possible, lest there be nightsticking o' the darkies to be had by all.

grumbler

I don't think that police forces just get to "call in the National Guard."  The NG works for the governor, who has to okay their deployment and their ROE.  I know of many situation where actual police have fired tear gas, so I don't think the solution is as simple as "call in the National Guard" when there are riots and riot control measures are called for; if it was, police forces would presumably be doing that a lot more often, rather than having their own SWAT teams, riot control gear, tear gas (and, presumably, the grenade launchers that fire it), and the like.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2014, 04:07:56 PM
Dispersing a crowd with gas is done from a distance, and that's what launchers are for.  Tossing gas by hand doesnt do you much good when it's blowing back in your face from 50 feet away.

Besides, in a crowd control and disperse scenario, you want your officers as far away as possible, lest there be nightsticking o' the darkies to be had by all.
Seems that, around here, if you question that police never need to use tear gas, someone will argue that this is simply recess getting out of hand.   And no police force ever, apparently, has needs for which they cannot afford the equipment and training; if they cannot afford it, they apparently don't need it.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2014, 09:41:38 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2014, 09:22:04 AM
Bring back the M79
Isn't that single-shot?  Can we afford to under-equip our police forces with single shot grenade launchers?

"Our" police forces Ivan?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 06:11:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2014, 04:07:56 PM

Seems that, around here, if you question that police never need to use tear gas, someone will argue that this is simply recess getting out of hand.   And no police force ever, apparently, has needs for which they cannot afford the equipment and training; if they cannot afford it, they apparently don't need it.

Grumbler and his "free is too expensive" theory.  :lol:

Is there any actual proof, not derived from thin air, that the school cops got rid of the three grenade launchers (that they got for free) because they could not afford them, rather than because they did not need them?

The Brain

What's the difference between not affording and not needing?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 18, 2014, 08:43:49 AM
What's the difference between not affording and not needing?

Go to a Dollar Store and you'll find plenty of examples.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?