San Diego School District's New 18-Ton Armored Vehicle Creates Stir

Started by jimmy olsen, September 15, 2014, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Getting it for free =/  free maintenance for the life of your armored vehicle!

Somebody's gotta pay for the gas and the maintenance for a specialty vehicle.  Can't just take it to Jiffy Lube.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2014, 12:45:20 PM

Somebody's gotta pay for the gas and the maintenance for a specialty vehicle.  Can't just take it to Jiffy Lube.

What does maintenance on a grenade launcher cost?

Jacob

Quote from: sbr on September 17, 2014, 12:56:19 PM

Probably less than the maintenance for a heavy armoured vehicle.

Razgovory

Yeah, that's where you have guys who aren't thinking ahead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

My WAG would be $200 - $300 per year, if you aren't using it.  The alternative, though, is $0 in maintenance and calling the LAPD on the off chance they actually need one.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Not "armoured vehicle" (they kept that). Grenade launchers. You know, something one stores in an armoury.

I assume there will be some storage and maintenance involved, but hardly a cost to break the bank.

The idea that they really, really need those three launchers - but gosh-darnit, they just can't afford to store them - sounds rather like 'they don't need those launchers' to me.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2014, 09:15:03 AM
Yeah, the grenade launchers get a bad rap because of its name, but it's great when it comes to gas for crowd control.

So make sure the National Guard has some then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 17, 2014, 01:10:53 PM

My WAG would be $200 - $300 per year, if you aren't using it.  The alternative, though, is $0 in maintenance and calling the LAPD on the off chance they actually need one.
And then reimbursing the LAPD for whatever costs they want to charge you (unless the case has changed enough to make it fall in their jurisdiction).  It's all a trade-off.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 01:59:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2014, 09:15:03 AM
Yeah, the grenade launchers get a bad rap because of its name, but it's great when it comes to gas for crowd control.

So make sure the National Guard has some then.
The National Guard having them is not the same as the force with jurisdiction having them.  The Guard won't part with them without a lot of paperwork, plus your guys aren't trained to use them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:33:32 PM
The regular po-po shouldn't be firing on crowds.

No more than anyone else.  But, sometimes, you just have to.

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 17, 2014, 01:10:53 PM

They can also call in artillery support from Sheriff Arpaio.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 02:34:39 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:33:32 PM
The regular po-po shouldn't be firing on crowds.

No more than anyone else.  But, sometimes, you just have to.

Rarely enough that having the governor sign off on it instead of some local sheriff isn't a bad idea.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 10:06:37 AM
How about people who are holding students or administrators hostage, or who are attacking a school building.  Do you think we should gas them? :huh:

Would school cops really be qualified to handle a massive attack on a school building or a large scale hostage situation?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."