Total Members Voted: 64

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 05:55:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2014, 05:47:01 PM
Why not?

Because there's no reason that it should.

It seems that rational self interest would suggest that in a federation consisting of 4 members controlling 80%, 10%, 5%, and 5% of the power, the part controlling the 80% would ensure that it would get 100% of federal decision making power.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 19, 2014, 06:32:14 PM
It seems that rational self interest would suggest that in a federation consisting of 4 members controlling 80%, 10%, 5%, and 5% of the power, the part controlling the 80% would ensure that it would get 100% of federal decision making power.

But that doesn't describe a federated UK. 

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 05:55:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2014, 05:47:01 PM
Why not?

Because there's no reason that it should.

Of course that does assume that the MPs within a power act in a unified manner. That certainly isn't what happens here with the various Reps withing a state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 07:10:28 PM

But that doesn't describe a federated UK.

Weren't you asking why a federated UK with England (80% population) as one of four constituent parts wouldn't work? Are you assuming that England wouldn't hold 80% of the Federal power?

I'm reasonably sure that it's unlikely that the English would go along with a federated UK in which England voters hold only 25% of Federal power.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 19, 2014, 07:41:42 PM
Weren't you asking why a federated UK with England (80% population) as one of four constituent parts wouldn't work? Are you assuming that England wouldn't hold 80% of the Federal power?

I'm reasonably sure that it's unlikely that the English would go along with a federated UK in which England voters hold only 25% of Federal power.

I'm assuming "England" wouldn't have any standing in the federal parliament, only members elected by the voters of each borough.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 07:53:19 PM

I'm assuming "England" wouldn't have any standing in the federal parliament, only members elected by the voters of each borough.

Yet you are assuming that those 80% of individual members of the federal parliament would not work together to tend to English interests?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 19, 2014, 08:05:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 07:53:19 PM

Yet you are assuming that those 80% of individual members of the federal parliament would not work together to tend to English interests?

We hear a lot on this board about how London's interests aren't wider English interests.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

They don't seem to be doing it now, do they?  There are no subsidies for bad teeth, or taxes on kilts and Joneses with black hair.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2014, 08:07:16 PM
We hear a lot on this board about how London's interests aren't wider English interests.

And that's enough evidence to conclude that a lopsided federation is going to work?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

They don't seem to be doing it now, do they?  There are no subsidies for bad teeth, or taxes on kilts and Joneses with black hair.

I thought RH's breakdown of the dangers of devolution/ regional assemblies from a Scottish POV was fairly persuasive; more so than cracks about bad teeth and kilt taxes, anyhow.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 19, 2014, 09:45:36 PM

And that's enough evidence to conclude that a lopsided federation is going to work?

:rolleyes:

It does make it a little difficult to just accept the premise that English MP would unite as a cohesive block.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2014, 10:10:36 PM

It does make it a little difficult to just accept the premise that English MP would unite as a cohesive block.

But the issue at hand is whether a lopsided federation will work.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 19, 2014, 10:30:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2014, 10:10:36 PM

But the issue at hand is whether a lopsided federation will work.

I rolled my eyes because you knew I wasn't saying my statement was enough proof that a lopsided federation would work.

Of course, it is only lopsided if English MPs were to consistently band together against all other MPs. Does that typically happen now?