8 (12.1%)
No (I'd vote yes)
4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2014, 02:34:20 PM
Tyr as always shows himself to be silly. The United Kingdom is not a geographical or a historical name - it is a name specifically relevant to the political structure of the state. If the United Kingdom uses the name after Scotland leaves, it would be like modern Poland using the name of the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania.

Well, not quite.

The full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

They could just as easily keep that same name, or could change to the United Kingdom of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2014, 02:34:20 PM
Tyr as always shows himself to be silly. The United Kingdom is not a geographical or a historical name - it is a name specifically relevant to the political structure of the state. If the United Kingdom uses the name after Scotland leaves, it would be like modern Poland using the name of the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania.

:hmm:

The official name is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I don't see why it couldn't be "United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland" and still go by United Kingdom as a commonly used name.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

It would be the United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland technically at that point but I am sure Wales would like a mention.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 02:38:15 PM
The official name is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I don't see why it couldn't be "United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland" and still go by United Kingdom as a commonly used name.

Because the kingdoms united in the United Kingdom are England and Scotland.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2014, 02:53:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 02:38:15 PM

Because the kingdoms united in the United Kingdom are England and Scotland.

No.

After the Act of Union in 1707 the name was the Kingdom of Great Britain.

After the Act of Union in 1801 that it became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

So it's the "Great Britain" part of the name altered by Scotland's departure, not the "United Kingdom".

MadImmortalMan

I thought the Great Britain name included England and Scotland and that the addition if NI made it UK.

Edit: ninja
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

You guys gotta do more to convince Yi.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The problem I'm having with that is that Ireland hadn't been a kingdom for some time when it was annexed, no?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2014, 03:16:49 PM
The problem I'm having with that is that Ireland hadn't been a kingdom for some time when it was annexed, no?

England (and Scotland) were essentially in a "personal union" with England (in EU terms).  Same monarch, different parliaments and governmental structure.

Edit: My googling suggests that Henry VIII converted the English holdings in Ireland from a lordship into the Kingdom of Ireland in 1541, with of course himself as King.

Berkut

So if this fails, and I think at this point only the insane hope otherwise, hopefully if nothing else the exercise will have shown why the entire idea is so terrible, and nobody will revisit it again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2014, 03:16:49 PM

It was a kingdom up until the act of Union in 1801.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2014, 03:27:56 PM
So if this fails, and I think at this point only the insane hope otherwise, hopefully if nothing else the exercise will have shown why the entire idea is so terrible, and nobody will revisit it again.

I think that the overwhelming majority of UK citizens would like their government to be less centralised. Sheilbh mentioned way back in this thread how bin collections were being interfered with by a cabinet minister, utterly ridiculous but also typical of the current arrangements.

Hopefully there will be a NO vote and subsequent improvements to the way the whole of the UK is governed.

Berkut

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 12, 2014, 06:22:24 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2014, 03:27:56 PM

I think that the overwhelming majority of UK citizens would like their government to be less centralised. Sheilbh mentioned way back in this thread how bin collections were being interfered with by a cabinet minister, utterly ridiculous but also typical of the current arrangements.

Hopefully there will be a NO vote and subsequent improvements to the way the whole of the UK is governed.

Yeah, I could certainly see that. And that would be a good thing - the tendency towards any federal government to take on power and more control to itself is well known.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned