News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your spider infiltration rate?

Started by Ideologue, July 03, 2014, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I haven't seen a single spider since I moved to my new apartment in February.

Zanza

No spiders in my apartment. I sometimes get a fly or a mosquito when I leave the windows open in the evening.

mongers

I see plenty, but not really an issue here.

Helps having the windows open overnight in summer and living in the countryside, 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

In the South, you just can't keep a house entirely insect and arachnid free, especially if you have a wooded estate like me. :showoff:

This year the insects have been very light, due I think to the extreme cold we had this winter.  We do have spiders, but far less than usual.  Typically they are wolf spiders, which are harmless.  A couple of months ago one crawled up my leg when I was sitting at my desk.  I killed the little guy for that transgression but I normally leave these spiders alone since I figure they eat other insects.

We also have had corn spiders in the past but I haven't seen one of those in years.  They like to spin webs along the outside of the house and in window boxes.  They're really neat looking:

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

sbr

Malthus

Quote from: Norgy on July 04, 2014, 03:42:42 AM
If I saw one of those, my heart would explode.

We get dock spiders in northern Ontario and Quebec that can be nearly that size. I once woke up with one hanging upside down on the inside of my mosquito net over my bed, directly over my face. Getting out of bed without shaking the net was fun.  :lol:

Thing about dock spiders is that, unlike tarantulas, they aren't slow creepers - they can run at dazzling speed. Sometimes, they startle you if you are in bare feet on a dock by popping out of a crack in the planks, running across your foot, and disappearing into another crack before you can even react.

As far as I know they are pretty harmless - just big and startling. They are, in fact, big enough to catch and eat small fish (hence they are also known as "fishing spiders")

Some pics here:

http://arthropodecology.com/2012/08/13/canadas-largest-spider-sittin-on-the-dock-of-the-bay/

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

No spiders thanks to four highly active cats. Few insects, too, for the same reason.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2014, 08:51:00 PM
Or, more accurately, how often do you see spiders in your house, of an offensive size and manner?

Because I have seen four in the past week, three skulking about the upper corners of my habitation box, one in a chair that dodged my attempts to kill it, and it pleases me not at all. <_<
I tend to keep them around, in corners where they ain't too visible, so they take care of nasty bugs for me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

When I first moved in to my house, my brother and I found a spider in the garage of Australian proportions. It was brown and very big, about the size of a saucer. It was really fast and could roll itself up into a ball and move like that. It was killed with religious zeal, but I later found out it was a wind scorpion and the college would have paid me a lot of money for it if I'd trapped it intact. They didn't want it in pulp form.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on July 04, 2014, 02:28:36 PM
Maybe once a decade.

The spider-slayer robots have a pretty enormous success rate, I take it?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2014, 07:57:09 AM
Quote from: Norgy on July 04, 2014, 03:42:42 AM
If I saw one of those, my heart would explode.

We get dock spiders in northern Ontario and Quebec that can be nearly that size. I once woke up with one hanging upside down on the inside of my mosquito net over my bed, directly over my face. Getting out of bed without shaking the net was fun.  :lol:

Thing about dock spiders is that, unlike tarantulas, they aren't slow creepers - they can run at dazzling speed. Sometimes, they startle you if you are in bare feet on a dock by popping out of a crack in the planks, running across your foot, and disappearing into another crack before you can even react.

As far as I know they are pretty harmless - just big and startling. They are, in fact, big enough to catch and eat small fish (hence they are also known as "fishing spiders")

Some pics here:

http://arthropodecology.com/2012/08/13/canadas-largest-spider-sittin-on-the-dock-of-the-bay/

By definition spiders aren't harmless. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Everyday. Mostly daddy long legs, either in my bathroom or in my basement.

I think there's one in the corner right now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.