Happy 4th of July, you Yankee traitors to the Crown!

Started by Syt, July 04, 2014, 12:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 04, 2014, 03:00:55 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2014, 02:06:00 AM
Come to think of it, I can't think of a patriotic German pop song. At least not a non-ironic one.

'Cause there ain't no doubt I love Deutschland God bless the BRD

Seriously nothing even soccer themed?

There has been a tradition of "World Cup songs" of usually cringeworthy quality, but unless I misremember they would focus on the game/team/host country and not on national pride.

You will get local songs, though where people sing of their love for their home town/area (especially in sappy Schlager songs or Oompah Volksmusik).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Celebrated the 4th with Mexicans. Good food and lots of fireworks balanced out the bad beer and music.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 04, 2014, 11:26:43 PM
Celebrated the 4th with Mexicans. Good food and lots of fireworks balanced out the bad beer and music.

I listened to that Mexican accordian stuff the whole time I was in Austin working a couple years back.  I'll admit I thought it was OK, but the downside is every single song sounds exactly the fucking same as every other fucking song.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2014, 02:06:00 AM
Come to think of it, I can't think of a patriotic German pop song. At least not a non-ironic one.

Beppe Severgnini in "Ciao America" points out that it would be inconceivable for a German to sing "Back in Germany" (punctuated with the uh-huh-huh-oh-yeah! background singing) the way Chuck Berry sings "Back in the USA."  Americans, on the other hands, think nothing of it.  Of course he's glad he's livin' in the USA, no matter how many times we've had to jail him.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2014, 10:48:13 PM
Who are the bad guys?  Terrorists?  Mexicans?  The RKKA?

Cartoon bad guys.  Like Decepticons or something I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2014, 11:02:57 PM
You will get local songs, though where people sing of their love for their home town/area (especially in sappy Schlager songs or Oompah Volksmusik).

The sun shines bright on my Mecklenburg-Vorpommern home
Tis summer, die juden are gay
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2014, 10:36:22 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2014, 11:02:57 PM

The sun shines bright on my Mecklenburg-Vorpommern home
Tis summer, die juden are gay

:P

Here's an example for my home state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fwgIhF2z1Q
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

No Heimat schlager? I guess it's good news given the absolutely appalling level of this sub-genre of pop music.

Valmy

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2014, 10:31:19 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2014, 10:48:13 PM
Who are the bad guys?  Terrorists?  Mexicans?  The RKKA?

Cartoon bad guys.  Like Decepticons or something I guess.

Mexicons.  They unite into Immigrator.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)