News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your spider infiltration rate?

Started by Ideologue, July 03, 2014, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I have a large one just outside the door and a few small ones but its rare I see them indoors :(
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Josq's comment leads me to wonder if your criteria for considering a spider potential harmful are less severe than mine.  Pretty much anything other than those pinhead-sized ones that keep to the corners (certainly if it's more than a centimeter), I sanction with extreme prejudice.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

The body bigger than a cm?
I don't think I've ever seen one that big in the wild, except perhaps those freaky green ones that I've seen in the countryside and want nothing to do with.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

I remember in Australia we had 1.5 inch cockroaches running around the place. In Egypt there were actually 4 inch long cockroaches at the training well (and an adorable kitten that stalked them). And then there was the well site where the run-off ditch (A small ditch surrounding the well site set up to collect any spills to gather them in the waste water lagoon rather than pollute the farmland around) was covered in an inch deep layer of dead insects and the whole well-site smelled of death. Certainly I prefer the measly plague of mosquitos we get for a month in summer to that disgusting crap.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I live in a basement, so I see them all the time.  I don't really care much. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on July 03, 2014, 11:16:52 PM
The body bigger than a cm?
I don't think I've ever seen one that big in the wild, except perhaps those freaky green ones that I've seen in the countryside and want nothing to do with.

Legspan.  Cm-wide body would be a wide-awake nightmare.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The size threshold is if, after you smoosh them, you can still feel the heft through the kleenex you use to pick them up.

Tamas

Spiders freak me the fuck out. I eliminate them from my living space with extreme prejudice. Have yet to see any non-microscopic here urban land, luckily. In Hungary, being close to the countryside meant seeing some disgusting ones a few times a year, and annoying ones relatively often.

Razgovory

I didn't know so many people were afraid of spiders.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grinning_Colossus

In the summer I see wolf spiders crawling across the ceiling about twice a week.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

Some of them have strong enough poison to kill a human.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

Wolf spiders are harmless. I just kill them because one dropped down on me when I was a child.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

It was a reply to Raz. I did not make that post in under 10 seconds.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Tam
Spiders freak me the fuck out. I eliminate them from my living space with extreme prejudice. Have yet to see any non-microscopic here urban land, luckily. In Hungary, being close to the countryside meant seeing some disgusting ones a few times a year, and annoying ones relatively often.

They are way worse in rural areas.

The worst one I ever saw was at Korea's dad's house.  Legitimate Arachnophobia comparisons could be made.  Looked about five inches legspan.  Ceiling walker.  I was spending the night; strongly considered driving home at 2 a.m., only did not do so at Korea's insistence.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 04, 2014, 01:27:40 AM
Some of them have strong enough poison to kill a human.

Yeah, but most don't.  Also they are very small and I can outwit most of them.  Besides they kill the other bugs that crawl on my when I'm asleep.