News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your spider infiltration rate?

Started by Ideologue, July 03, 2014, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Oh yeah lots of wolf spiders. The occasional black widows too. You can always tell the difference between BW webs and regular ones. They are more tensile and stringy, less wispy.

No other insects at all. I've never seen a roach or a flea in fifteen years here.

I've heard that there are some crazy cool tarantula migrations out in the desert but I've never seen that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Spiders aren't really insects.  I let it go when viking said it, but I can't let it go if two people suggest that spiders are insects.  It just wouldn't be pedantic if I did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Admittedly this would be a little creepy.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Are those even spiders?  The legs are all wrong.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Pedrito

I'm reading this thread out of morbid fascination, but it's giving me the shivers since page 1.

Small ones (smaller, legs included, than a pinky's nail) are not a problem. Everything bigger, insect or arachnid, throws me in a state of agitation and girly screechs. Usually my wife terminates things this large, when it happens that they enter my house (usually a couple times a year).
Some years ago a locust entered my kitchen while I was cooking with the windows open, and I still have nightmares about it.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2014, 02:02:20 AM
Are those even spiders?  The legs are all wrong.

If they are Daddy Longlegs, then no they are not spiders technically.

/Razpedantic

:P

Ideologue

Aren't daddy longlegs(es) harmless?

I mean, it's gross, but...
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

They are like the second or third most poisonous arachnid, but they can't bite people. Jaws can't open wide enough or something. Otherwise, we'd be fearing them like tunnel webs or brown recluses.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Yes, much like that special effects sequence from a movie.
Kinemalogue

Norgy

Spiders? Hah!
None of any real size. But enough flies, ants and wasps. I live near the woods. If it's a wet spring and early summer, there'll be a lot of mosquitos, but they're hardly that bothersome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

If I saw one of those, my heart would explode.

Brazen

About one a week, though the ceiling cobwebs would suggest more are at work.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue